Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
50035 Ark Royal

Re: Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Yeagh i know might post something on there and see what response i get it should be interesting :)
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:08 pm

I think Tornado's livery is a bit silly. Brand new locomotive, painted up in the colours of an organisation that doesn't exist any more. It even has "British Railways" painted on it, and it was never theirs. Despite all their high aspirations, the livery confirms to me that the entire purpose of the A1 steam locomotive trust is... to indulge in nostalgia. Can't get behind that at all.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:55 pm

In my reply i didn't mean to be so outrageously high brow when it comes to the effort that goes into loco restoration, i've played little part in that kind of thing myself, but have a few tonnes of respect for those involved in rescuing and restoring locomotives, be they deisel or steam.

At Ropley last year they had many locos awaiting this and that from the facilities available there, but one thing i noticed was that there were two No:5 James from the childhood books.

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 am

Terrier wrote:At Ropley last year they had many locos awaiting this and that from the facilities available there, but one thing i noticed was that there were two No:5 James from the childhood books.

The two 'James' locomotives will sadly remain that way for some time (one is an SR U class Mogul, the other is the sole surviving SR N class mogul) along with 34016 'Bodmin' which is also at Ropley. The quick version of the story is they are owned by someone that the railway fell out with. The locos are on an agreement until 2014 and the owner is banned from the railway. They will no doubt leave the railway in 2014. They wont steam as 2014 is now too close to overhaul one of these locomotives.

The light green locomotive behind (or infront is right word) the 08 is 'Lord Nelson'. She is in operational condition so was probably just there as they needed the space. I can't quite tell what locomotive is behind her, perhaps their hybrid 0-6-0 'Douglas' undergoing overhaul. The locomotive behind that is unrebuilt West Country No. 34105 'Swanage'. She is awaiting overhaul, there were legal issues stopping her overhaul but these have now been sorted and she now awaits a space in the queue. Locomotive infront of the second red locomotive is Urie S15 No. 30506, her boiler is currently in the works receiving attention. And behind that is a Standard 4 4-6-0 No. 75079 awaiting restoration but will be worked on once their black 5 is complete. 35005 'Canadian Pacific' is probably further back out of view in that long line of locos awaiting an overhaul.

But of course to a normal visitor these are just seen as dead engines left to scrap when active work is being undertaken on several behind the scenes.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:50 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:....55016 Gordon Highlander Porterbrook Livery....

Gordon highlander was owned by Porterbrook when it was painted Porterbrook Purple, it wasn't exactly preserved.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:40 am

Yes but it was still a preserved loco.I like the rest of you have huge respect for people restoring old loco's wether steam,diesel or electric.I just wish that they would paint them in authentic liveries. That is all having a bad day yesterday so got a little carried away :oops:
cheers

roadie stu

Postby roadie stu » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:16 am

Olton Hall as "Hogwarts Castle" or whatever it is

a GW loco in red just looks wrong (Green and Black look much better), Even Taw Valley looked stupid painted in red for one of the harry potter book launches

Cheers

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:.I have already moaned to the group but it has done no good.At .

I assume that you are not the majority shareholder and therefore democracy reigns. You've had your say, the majority don't agree with you so... So stop paying and set up a group of your own to buy another one and then paint it in whatever you want... and quit moaning! Simplezz! :mrgreen:

Another one to add to the list was the Ivatt 2-6-0 in LMS Maroon... didn't like that at all... but at the end of the day its the owners that decide.

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:54 am

roadie stu wrote:Olton Hall as "Hogwarts Castle" or whatever it is
a GW loco in red just looks wrong (Green and Black look much better), Even Taw Valley looked stupid painted in red for one of the harry potter book launches
u

Although it does look wrong i quite liked it on Taw Valley. It was rumoured had some of the bulleids gone up north they may have carried BR Crimson, at least 34027 gave us an idea of what that may have been like.

And to be honest, Olton Hall is worth a fortune in that livery, i think the americans were prepared to pay all sorts for it for their theme park but opted to build an almost exact static copy. Plus the red livery has no doubt paid for a few overhauls... that can only be a good thing.

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 pm

roadie stu wrote:a GW loco in red just looks wrong

Highly subjective, that. It looks like any other steam loco to me, for example. I can't tell one company's locos from another, with the exception of the A4s and the Coronations, which are fairly easy to tell apart. In fact, my only childhood exposure to steam locomotion was Thomas the Tank Engine, with a smattering of Ivor.

The lack of colour in the real world of steam is disappointing. When my wife wanted a steam loco, her specification was, "a red one, preferably with a light, and not that dildo one." She was as disappointed as I was to find that the only really red steam locos are a small colliery tank and James. We settled for a maroon one in the end.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Yes and how exactly do i afford to buy one? As i said before it is only paint so can live with that.It is not going to be painted in that livery for long.Maybe next time it will be Nse or Inter City swallow,or Parcels red now that is a livery i realy like and i think a 50 would look great in :D You see i am not against some fictitious liveries like the large logo on 40145.I just think the Load Haul a bit too modern and does not suit the 50 and yes i am probably in the minority here and i accept that the NSE livery is only liked by the minority.As i said yesterday i was having a bad day and got a bit carried away.At the end of the day the majority owners can paint thier loco's in whatever the colour they like.So if that means a Duff in bright pink,an A4 in Maroon or a Western in purple with blue spots while we might not like it we have no say and have to put up with it.At the end of the day it is only paint. :P

Deltic006

Postby Deltic006 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:49 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:So if that means a Duff in bright pink, :P

Sounds nice, might get some 'rich' ladies involved, It could even be named 'The Spice Girl' :shock: Personally I think it's nice to see the preserved loco's in modern liveries, so suit them some don't. We get to see them as they would be running today if the 'look and sound alike yankie loco's' hadn't arrived. As for the Potterbrook Deltic, well it was different to say the least, it certainly stood out and got Gordon noticed, but at least it kept it running on the main line. Who knows what might have happened otherwise, and now she's safe in Martin Walkers hands minus one engine!

How about a Duff in Gbrf blue or DB Schenker red, that might look nice :D Or even a Deltic in Maroon with Western type nameplates, now that might look nice :!:

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:35 pm

I dunno about the moderators, but someone ought to get these girls under control.

roadie stu

Postby roadie stu » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm

kieranhardy wrote:
roadie stu wrote:Olton Hall as "Hogwarts Castle" or whatever it is
u

Although it does look wrong i quite liked it on Taw Valley. It was rumoured had some of the bulleids gone up north they may have carried BR Crimson, at least 34027 gave us an idea of what that may have been like.

And to be honest, Olton Hall is worth a fortune in that livery, i think the americans were prepared to pay all sorts for it for their theme park but opted to build an almost exact static copy. Plus the red livery has no doubt paid for a few overhauls... that can only be a good thing.

I do Agree with you on the money in the bank for the overhauls Kieran, they have had a nice little result there!!!

on the Bullied Pacific's, 35005 Canadian Pacific did run for a while in BR blue http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/images/3 ... s_mr_v.jpg , another colour I'm not too sure on for loco's ( although it looks good on SNG) and it will be interesting to see 6023 in blue,

Cheers

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:58 pm

kieranhardy wrote:
Terrier wrote:At Ropley last year they had many locos awaiting this and that from the facilities available there, but one thing i noticed was that there were two No:5 James from the childhood books.

The two 'James' locomotives will sadly remain that way for some time (one is an SR U class Mogul, the other is the sole surviving SR N class mogul) along with 34016 'Bodmin' which is also at Ropley. The quick version of the story is they are owned by someone that the railway fell out with. The locos are on an agreement until 2014 and the owner is banned from the railway. They will no doubt leave the railway in 2014. They wont steam as 2014 is now too close to overhaul one of these locomotives.

The light green locomotive behind (or infront is right word) the 08 is 'Lord Nelson'. She is in operational condition so was probably just there as they needed the space. I can't quite tell what locomotive is behind her, perhaps their hybrid 0-6-0 'Douglas' undergoing overhaul. The locomotive behind that is unrebuilt West Country No. 34105 'Swanage'. She is awaiting overhaul, there were legal issues stopping her overhaul but these have now been sorted and she now awaits a space in the queue. Locomotive infront of the second red locomotive is Urie S15 No. 30506, her boiler is currently in the works receiving attention. And behind that is a Standard 4 4-6-0 No. 75079 awaiting restoration but will be worked on once their black 5 is complete. 35005 'Canadian Pacific' is probably further back out of view in that long line of locos awaiting an overhaul.

But of course to a normal visitor these are just seen as dead engines left to scrap when active work is being undertaken on several behind the scenes.

Hiya Kieran, thanks for the info on the locos, it's a shame about the polava there and i hope the two locos will somehow be preserved, i have a few more pics somewhere, there were a few 08's in the line up and a Super D i think?

bear with, think i know where pictures are

preservation.JPG
preservation.JPG (136.01 KiB) Viewed 1946 times

line up.JPG
line up.JPG (107.11 KiB) Viewed 1943 times

Return to “Real World Railways”