Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
b308

Re: Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Postby b308 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Yes I am, AR. I can remember them when they first came out in the 60s, I was spotting on the WCML just south of Preston at the time and thats where they first appeared... I know it wasn't Electric Blue, but it just seemed a different shade to the later BR Blue... probably just memory playing tricks with me!

I've just been looking at the Wikki entry for BR Blue and it seems that it was introduced in '65 so they must have been BR blue... I suppose compared with the mucky black steamers and green diesels we were used to it just seemed "blue-er" in those days compared with when everything was painted in that colour!

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 pm

So you remember the Vac's in the early days.That is very interesting i am presuming they still made the hoover sound? As it is rumoured that it was the station staff at Paddington gave them this nickname on the amount of noise the equipment made even when only idling!!So i wondered what nickname the spotters/enthusiats gave them in the LMR days.As i said while i have a vast knowledge of the class 80's onwards i know very little about them in LMR days :oops: .So if you have any photos, records, memories please feel free to share them. I for one would be very interested.
cheers
I
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:10 am

b308 wrote:Bobby, do we speak the same language??????I am, quite frankly, getting a little tired of your jibes at my English... especially considering your total lack of undertanding of the use of full stops and capital letters... please stop it now as its getting a little pathetic. :roll:

:roll: :evil:
Bobby Hill

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 am

You just don't get it, do you? If you wish to start throwing stones, then don't live in a glass house! (Look it up on Google if you don't understand me.)

Grow up, Bobby!

As I said before, can we now move on?

To reply to your earlier post, yes I can remember their introduction, we use to spot about 4 miles out of Preston where they would be doing around 60/70mph so I don't remember any particularly distinctive noise... They were known in our locality as D400s or EE Type 4s, though the latter was also used for the D200 (class 40) series as well. Most of the time we saw them double heading the Scots after taking over from the Electrics at Crewe.

I did like them in those days, as they were different (and faster) than most stuff around... I still have the kit built resin-bodied version that was brought out in the early 70s to fit on a Triang class 37 bogie!

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

b308 wrote:As I said before, can we now move on?

what the hell is your problem man??????? you're the one taking it personally and retaliating
just leave me alone will you
Last edited by bobby55016 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Hill

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Quiet, children....

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:07 pm

42073+42085 on the lakeside and hatherthaite railway in the 1970s were painted CR BLUE and some other not correct colour! :evil:
Cheers Seb
:D

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:19 am

bobby55016 wrote:
b308 wrote:As I said before, can we now move on?

what the hell is your problem man??????? you're the one taking it personally and retaliating
just leave me alone will you

Why don't you stop throwing insults then? If you can't take it, don't give it out.

Mods, that will be my last comment to Bobby, if he still doesn't get it, can you please enlighten him!
Last edited by b308 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:21 am

AR when I get time I'll see if I can get a photo of that model I've got... I can't remember who made it, but its a resin body with metal weights down the sides... I had to cut out the windows and didn't do a very good job... I was only about 14 or 15 at the time!

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:39 am

Here you go:

Power bogie is missing and the trailing one is one of those ones with pick-ups. You had to file off the sideframe detail and stick one ones they supplied with the kit! Never did get round to glazing or numbering though! :wink:

Made by Q Kits... if you go down to lot 4266 you'll see the kit!

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuctio ... &Start=180

Anyone wants it let me know, I certainly don't!

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 am

Hi thats not bad for a 15 year old, im amazed you kept it that long.If it been large logo id have bought it of you to bung on my scrapline one of the early ones 11/13/22/38/47 not 6 or 14.
cheers
I
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:29 am

Last of my old OO stuff I think! It came as a one-piece body molding so not that difficult to assemble! A fiver should cover p&p if anyone else wants it!

Postby 60007 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:32 pm

I personally think its absoultley fine for a loco to be in a ficticious livery, I mean, I think 40145 looks pretty damn cool.

It'd be wrong say, if the NRM repainted the Mallard Bright pink, as its owned by the public as heratige, the least I'd like to see is original colours (which is why there is so much debate about the flying scotty over chimneys, deflectors, tenders and just about everything else on it)

These Preserved locos are afterall, owned by someone, and if they want to see it in a certain livery, then good for them, its their loco afterall, and besides, you are still seeing the same machine, its just under another coat of paint. They haven't just preserved it for our benefit, remember they also have to get some fun out of it aswell.

these livers can be a good example of "what if" what if the 40's made it to large logo blue, or what if the deltics were still in use today, what livery would they carry now?

They still are in correct livery technically, many of these locos are owned by groups or companys, and as you know, some have logos, colour schemes etc, so all these "comapnies" are doing is putting their stuff into their livery. Just be glad mcdonalds don't own one.

This is all I can think of at the moment

~Andrew
If I wasn't me, I'd be someone else!

rebeltrucker

Postby rebeltrucker » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:02 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Excuse me yes i do have the right as i purchase shares every month so why should i not have a say in what livery it is painted in.

So as a shareholder, you must also understand that diesel preservation is not just about running them and getting all blurry eyed. Its also about generating interest, funds, new blood into the scene etc. If you have to paint a loco a silly colour to achieve that, then so be it im afraid. Just look at the amount of column inches that 50035 has generated and you will see that it actually works, as D444 did before it.

Now dont misunderstand me...im not saying I particularly like either of them. '44 was my personal favourite for many MANY years, and yes, I would like to see it blue again. Itll happen eventually though, and im fine with that.
Occasional Crank

rebeltrucker

Postby rebeltrucker » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:02 am

PS...you might want to have an ambulance on standby for when 50031 is revealed :wink:
Occasional Crank

Return to “Real World Railways”