Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
kieranhardy

Re: Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Postby kieranhardy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm

It's likely the Super D was there as she was attending their autumn steam gala, she is usually based at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

Canadian Pacific doesn't seem to be in sight though, she was probably in the yard. Although i've noticed another two locomotives behind the Standard 4,the first is a USA tank lookalike, been at the line for a few years and apparently the plan is to make her cab accessible for wheelchairs, behind her is S15 No. 828 which is looked after by the same people who look after 'Lord Nelson'. I think she is undergoing a slow overhaul too. There are infact 3 S15's based there, two are the last surviving Urie built examples.

roadie stu, Canadian Pacific in blue has to be my favourite combo, she looked stunning. :P

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:08 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:and women don't float my boat.

:shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
Bobby Hill

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:17 am

hairyhandedfool wrote:
50035 Ark Royal wrote:....55016 Gordon Highlander Porterbrook Livery....

Gordon highlander was owned by Porterbrook when it was painted Porterbrook Purple, it wasn't exactly preserved.

fair enough in a way i guess.
but it's still a vintage loco. shouldn't be messed with.

i'm with ark royal on the livery debate. locos should only be painted in liverys they had in service (or at the very least, liverys the class had in service)

many didn't like NSE. but to me too a 50 looks good in NSE (a Deltic would probally look really good in NSE too!)

so Ark Royal. what do you think of 50007 with the wrong name and red nameplates and snowploughs? :wink:
Bobby Hill

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:06 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Yes but it was still a preserved loco.....

I fear our description of 'preserved' is somewhat different......

Preserve - To keep in perfect or unaltered condition; maintain unchanged

http://www.hondawanderer.com/D9016_Seamer_2002.htm
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 pm

I'd have said that definition has been changed with use as it would be impossible to describe any current working steam loco as "preserved" if you used the literal definition above.

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:59 pm

b308 wrote:I'd have said that definition has been changed with use as it would be impossible to describe any current working steam loco as "preserved" if you used the literal definition above.

This coming from somebody in a 31 word sentance, without punctuation. wow. :P :wink: :mrgreen:
Bobby Hill

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:06 am

Ah, but you can preserve something in a condition from a lifetime ago (eg preserved in 1972 condition). Gordon Highlander was not preserved in any condition seen during 'it's working life'. It was saved from the scrapman certainly, but that doesn't make it preserved, in this case it was even modified with modern headlights.

In the same way, D444 isn't exactly preserved, it isn't in a condition ever seen on the mainline in it's BR career. Just as in the case of Gordon Highlander it has been modified to allow it to make money.

To my mind, preservation is not about making money, it is about enjoying things that would otherwise cease to be.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:51 am

bobby55016 wrote:
b308 wrote:I'd have said that definition has been changed with use as it would be impossible to describe any current working steam loco as "preserved" if you used the literal definition above.

This coming from somebody in a 31 word sentance, without punctuation. wow. :P :wink: :mrgreen:

What's an apostrophe if not punctuation?

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Re-reading my post I think that only the addition of a single comma would be required... and even that is debatable...

At least I use capital letters when starting sentances and don't use full stops when they aren't required... Pot and Kettle, methinks! :roll:

Now how about getting back to the subject in hand... :wink:

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi Bobby you said what do i think of that Green 50 with red plates and snowploughs.
Only 7 words i will say
BRING BACK HERCULES IN A PROPER LIVERY :mrgreen:
While we are on the subject i hate Exeter been in two tone green livery as it was voted by all the shareholders to be cosmeticaly defurbished.There is only i livery it should be in and that is br blue with 4 guises D444 444, 50044 ,or 50044 Exeter.
Better still refurbish it again and repaint in Original NSE Doncaster variation as 50002/37/48 carried :mrgreen:
I dislike no 7 as it caused the death of Ajax which was an absolute beast.In my honest opinion 46 should have been saved as it was last large logo one in traffic and with a black overall roof.Sadly Mr Hudson and his merry men had other ideas and sacrifised 46 to reinstate no 7 by having the formers power unit and bogies. :evil: This therefore made 46 unviable as a preservation candidate as it had scrap bogies and a knackered main generator.As no 7 was withdrawn in July as it had a very bad Main Generator flashover which resulted in the generator to be written of.
I better not say anything about 17 been vandalised and painted in that awful LMS crimson livery.Thank god Royal Oak is to be restored into a more fitting livery to the second best of the class IMHO.
cheers
I
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:There is only i livery it should be in and that is br blue

You'll know better than I, but when they first came out (I had to add an extra page to my Combine!) I didn't think that the blue was actually "BR Blue" as they were the only ones in blue other than the electrics at the time? My memory may be playing tricks with me but it seemed a "bluer" blue than the insipid blue that BR used later.

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 pm

b308 wrote:I didn't think that the blue was actually "BR Blue" as they were the only ones in blue other than the electrics at the time? My memory may be playing tricks with me but it seemed a "bluer" blue than the insipid blue that BR used later.

could somebody translate that into English please :roll:

Ark Royal. you'll be pleased to know that 5007 now has black nameplates :) . pity the name is still wrong though :mrgreen:
Bobby Hill

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Bobby, do we speak the same language??????

It is simple enough, AR commented that the only correct (early) livery for the 50s was BR Blue, but I wondered if, in fact, they were originally produced in that shade of blue. From memory the blue I remember them in when they first appeared was a "blue-er" shade of blue than BR Blue, nearer "Electric Blue" than BR Blue...

I am, quite frankly, getting a little tired of your jibes at my English... especially considering your total lack of undertanding of the use of full stops and capital letters... please stop it now as its getting a little pathetic. :roll:

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Bobby at least thier black but there not HERCULES :( I wish somebody would restore no 7 back to it's rightful name.
While we are on the sunbject Bobby in 84 after Hercules had been vandalised there was constant rumours of 16 losing it's Barham plates been painted maroon and going to be named Sir Felix Pole. :shock: Thank god this never came to anything and this was rumoured that BR called a halt to it after the furore that renaming 7 caused.I don;t think many minded the green as it was done good and made the class a bit different.No it was the name change that did it no 7 was named Hercules and will always be Hercules.Even after 7 was changed most vac followers refered to it either as Hercules,snotvac or the green one.Not many refered to it as Sir Edward Elgar.This name should have been used on a strumming devise and not on one of Vulcans finest :twisted: I have nothing against the name and appreciate he may have been a good composer but the name was not right fora vac.They were all named after famous Capital ships not composers :twisted:
cheers
I

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi b308 are you refering to the LMR days as this was before my time :) However from the books,photos and info i have i can clarify that no Vac was ever painted in electric blue.
cheers
I

Return to “Real World Railways”