Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
50035 Ark Royal

Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi Who approves of this? I wiil give you 3 of the worst examples
50035 Ark Royal Loadhaul Livery
55016 Gordon Highlander Porterbrook Livery
40145 Large Logo
The only one for me i can just about stand is 40145 .
As for the others they have made Ark Royal look like a mobile jaffa cake :twisted:
and although 16 now repainted it looked awful.
There is also D444 in Two Tonne Green :twisted:
50017 LMS Crimson :twisted:
Although thankfuly once restored it will be in a proper livery again.
Im sorry don't agree with it and can;t see why it is done.If a loco never carried a livery that it did not have in service then it should not carry it in preservation.
Ark Royal would have looked better in Original or Revised NSE
cheers
I
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Terrier

Re: Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Postby Terrier » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Are you therefore prepeared to put in the money/hours/heartache/consideration it takes to bring a defunct loco into service?

Do you have any concept of what this takes?

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Here's one of the the worst examples IMHO ....
.....I know the [preservation] movement as a whole needs to get the younger generation interested if its to survive,and I also realise that it prob'ly draws the punters in [and there-for the money needed to keep running locos] ....but it irritates the h*ll outa me.

T.
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

ste234

Postby ste234 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:16 pm

The Loco may have looked better in NSE in your opinion, my opinion is that NSE colours are awful, but thats my opinion.

Preserved railways like to put loco's into their own colours, or even a random livery, it's their choice.

Terry, just be thankfull it isn't Mallard in them colours :wink: :lol:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:24 pm

ste234 wrote:Terry, just be thankfull it isn't Mallard in them colours :wink: :lol:

:lol: Or in grey :o .....[with "Spencer" on the nameplate :shock: ]

T. :wink:
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:26 pm

S&DJR 2-8-0 in blue, standard class 4 4-6-0, and 2-6-4T both in green.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:18 pm

bike2steam wrote:...standard class 4 4-6-0...in green.

They carried Green in service, its not a 'ficticious' livery.

40145 I think looks fantastic in LL Blue, its the class 37s big brother, and we all know how well the livery sits on those. Its only the 'purists' who moan about them, but lets be honest, its up to the owners what livery they put their property into, not the beligerent gits who sound off about it being historically inaccurate (not to mention haven't lifted a finger or put a penny towards its restoration). The phrase 'if you don't like it, don't look at it' comes to mind. :wink:

Me personally, I loved CoT when it was 'rolled out' in lined BR black livery. A pity it was only a wind up.
Last edited by Zunnan on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm

bike2steam wrote:S&DJR 2-8-0 in blue, standard class 4 4-6-0, and 2-6-4T both in green.

Standard 4 4-6-0's did carry BR green in service. They were built at Swindon and locos there usually had a habit of ending up in BR Green. 75027 was one that carried green in its working life. To quote the bluebell railway website:

When it arrived at Sheffield Park in January 1969, 75027 appeared to be far larger than was necessary on the Bluebell Railway of the late 1960s. It ran almost immediately after delivery, largely in ex-BR condition (albeit with its grimy green paintwork well cleaned) and soon proved its worth as we entered the 1970s

So many locomotives are in inaccurate liveries though, red 8F at Peak Rail, BR built Pannier tank in GWR colours at KESR, N2 at GCR (it apparently wasn't actually a GNR built loco so cant authentically carry GNR green), 3850 in GWR green at WSR etc. The list goes on.

Does it really matter though? Won't stop me enjoying them and taking photos of them.

The owners are the ones who decide what liveries their locos should carry at the end of the day. Not purists who don't contribute to that particular group or people who just want to have a moan on a forum. The loco will still sound the same if your riding behind it. I say be thankful they are running rather than sitting in a siding rotting away or worse, scrapped.

'50035 Ark Royal', i do wonder if you post for the sake of it sometimes. You make new threads very often and have already racked up near 400 posts in a month and a half. I'm only on 754 in the 3 years i've been signed up here....

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:40 pm

kieranhardy wrote:'50035 Ark Royal', i do wonder if you post for the sake of it sometimes. You make new threads very often and have already racked up near 400 posts in a month and a half. I'm only on 754 in the 3 years i've been signed up here....

Ditto. Already tried to gently advise that over-posting of numerous new threads is generally frowned upon as it dilutes the useful information on here, sadly it seems to have fallen on deaf ears :?

Paul

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Zunnan wrote:
bike2steam wrote:...standard class 4 4-6-0...in green.

They carried Green in service, its not a 'ficticious' livery.

OOOpps - sorry, should have said 'standard class 4 4-6-0 with BR1B tender (Southern Region)', a few originally based WR locos were repainted green. :oops:

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Excuse me yes i do have the right as i purchase shares every month so why should i not have a say in what livery it is painted in.
As regards 40145 i have no complaints about the loco been in Large Logo livery.I love large logo livery as it looks good on any kind of loco.If you think i make too many posts why have you replyed to this one so it is now up to 9 :mrgreen:
To Ste 234 i appreciate your opinion but i think you are very wrong NSE was/is a very good livery compared with some of todays crap Colas and the like.Especialy the Rnse Dark Blue as 35 was known as **** on six axleboxes by some. :D
I am sorry but i do not like some of the liveries carried by todays preserved locos.Should have left Ark Royal in large Logo :P

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:22 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Excuse me yes i do have the right as i purchase shares every month so why should i not have a say in what livery it is painted in.

So you have shares in all the locos you mentioned in your first post then? And your statement was this:

Im sorry don't agree with it and can;t see why it is done.If a loco never carried a livery that it did not have in service then it should not carry it in preservation.

That statement really refers to ALL inaccurate liveried locos, both steam and diesel, you can't possibly have shares in all of them now can you. As i said it is still up to the OWNER or a majority vote in what livery the loco should carry. Moaning on a forum will change nothing, your better off sending a polite email to the group to see if there are plans to ever re-paint.

50035 Ark Royal wrote:If you think i make too many posts why have you replyed to this one so it is now up to 9 :mrgreen:

Eh? 9 what? I'm talking about the amount of posts and threads YOU make, not the amount of posts your threads get. :roll:
Someone else has also said you post too much. What is that old saying... quality not quantity....

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:26 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:compared with some of todays crap Colas and the like.

It could also be argued that you only post crap - and there's loads of your posts. It's totally subjective - you might think all your posts are pearls of wisdom.

How people see things as regards a loco livery aren't wrong. It's what they think.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Very good so it is have a go at Ark Royal night is it?No i do not have shares in the other loco's i mentioned but i do have loads and i mean loads of shares in the 50 Alliance loco's 5003/35/44/49 plus i pay stading order every month and it is not a cheap effort.I have already moaned to the group but it has done no good.At the end of the day it is only paint.If you think my posts are crap, i think some of the others are.Especiaaly off topic football,cars women i have never read so much dribble in all my life.We are not all male stereotypes i can't stand football, hate computer games.Cars are only to get from a to b and women don't float my boat.
As i said i create the thread you don't have to reply.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:If you think my posts are crap, i think some of the others are.Especiaaly off topic football,cars women i have never read so much dribble in all my life.We are not all male stereotypes i can't stand football, hate computer games.Cars are only to get from a to b and women don't float my boat.
As i said i create the thread you don't have to reply.

Hmm, there is a designated "Off topic" forum, where we can post about things... off topic?

:?
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Return to “Real World Railways”