Your first train ride you can remeber

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
fratton

Re: Your first train ride you can remeber

Postby fratton » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Terrier wrote:My first memory is almost as epic lol. probably about 1980? Gosport ferry over the harbour to Portsmouth Harbour Station with my mum, up the gangway to the station and a ride on a slamdoor to Havant to visit my nan and grandad. i think, but it's a little hazy, that it was an all dark blue unit, i used to like the noise they made while idling, 'doob-a-doob-a-doob-a-doob etc etc' (something like that) :D

lol yer i missed out the ferry at the start doh,,,,,,,,,,,

used to love that noise they made,,,,, that and a good "clap" when the doors slam

Joeman560

Postby Joeman560 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:46 pm

I dont remember how old I was (quite young 4-5 maybe). It was on the Paignton and Dartmouth Railway for my Birthday and the FAt Controller announced it on the speaker thing. :D
Merchant Navy

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:13 pm

7820 Dinmore Manor
Bishops Lydeard-Minehead
2-3 years old :D
Cheers Seb
:D

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:05 pm

the first train trip i remember was when i was a lad i went to dover with my parents to catch the ferry. no idea what the loco was as i wasn't into trains yet. out of curiosaty i wish i could know though :(
Bobby Hill

Deltic1981

Postby Deltic1981 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:14 am

Not exactly a ride but i got to stand on the footplate of a steam loco when i was 2 or 3 at RAF Leuchars. I remember the heat from the fire. Was 1983/84 ish anyone have an idea of what it was?

Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:38 am

When I was about 5, so 10 years ago, my Grandad took me from Derby to Birmingham and back on an HST in Virgin livery, I remember the livery, because I got the hornby version of the locomotive the following christmas :)

champion

Postby champion » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 am

When in the days excursions use to be the norm.My 1st train ride i can think off was a biggleswade-blackpool one in september 1971.Departed biggleswade at 9am,arrived blackpool around 1-2pm and departed blackpool at midnight arriving back at biggleswade around 7am in the morning always diverted back by a differant route as to allow sleepys.Hauled rarely by class 40 40011 or as then D211.Did this trip a few times until they stopped them but always fetched a class 31 after that.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:59 am

repeated post removed.
Last edited by Bufferstop on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:28 am

mmm, the first i can remember was a BR Blue loco pulling blu/grey coaches, probably Mk 1's, I remember asking why there were so many doors. The Loco was a 37 or 40. at that age, I really wasn't big on remembering what was what, that was a short journey from Eccles to Victoria. I honestly don't remember how, but we must have got to Piccadily where we boarded a Deltic express to london. I recall this being a deltic as My grandad was telling me about how it was one of the most powerful loco's, and he said the brakes made a distinctive swoosh (no idea if this is true, but hey, i was 5 or so!!). then spent the next 3 and a half hours with my nose plastered to the window as we headed to the capitol for a day of museums...Dinosaurs, rrrr!

from that day on, about once a month, we'd get the train from Eccles and head out visiting places. I loved York, my first visit to the museum, and wanting a ride on mallard

incidentally, i have no idea why a deltic was working the west coast mainline, might have been a special.
Last edited by hiffano on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Heck gotta go back to the late 1950's when I used to travel every Saturday from High Barnet (now north London) to Maulden (now south London) on the Northern Line and back again in the evening. Smoking was then still allowed on the Tube trains and as my Mum was a smoker that is where we would be, in the smoking carriage.
As the Northern Line split into two different routes around London it could either be a long or short journey either way.

Ian

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:45 pm

teifi valley railway when i was 3, went on the footplate of the loco :mrgreen: then welshpool and llanfair the same year at xmas. i also remember the first 2 locos i saw, 70000 and 71000 at bishops stortford when i was 1 1/2.
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:24 pm

I can't say I remember one particular journey - more like 'snippets' of a number of journeys - the chronology of which I don't know because I was too young.

I recall 4-CORS (Nelsons) because of the distinctive cabs, and feeling that the interiors where solid, quite stylish and relatively luxurious compared to other, more modern trains.

I also have memories traveling in trains hauled by steam engines. Here the experience was more to do with seeing the train arrive and depart rather than the travelling: The steam and smoke, the hissing and puffing, the palpable change in the air, the frisson of pressurised power in the boiler - it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :shock: As a passenger the steam heating also seemed to have impressed itself upon my young mind - although I've never been able to put my finger on exactly why.

As an older schoolboy the old SUBS where a favourite over 4-CEPS because of the single compartments. At stations the three or four of us would stand firmly pressed against the door and windows to make the compartment look like it was totally overcrowded so no one else would get in :)

Splop.

Postby Splop. » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Earliest one I can remember is a run from New Street to B'ham International. Can't remember what year it was, but I do remember the HST that was taking us was in blue and yellow livery.

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:40 pm

I cant remember what I had for me breakfast! :?
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:06 pm

Goldfish :)

Return to “Real World Railways”