Blackpool Central - Kirkham Wesham junction.

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
centenary

Blackpool Central - Kirkham Wesham junction.

Postby centenary » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Blackpool Central closed when I was about 8. The old track bed has since been made into a road and part of the M55.

Now Im on the train to Halifax from Poulton every day, I've noticed a big structure by the side of the line coming into Kirkham Wesham. I know this is roughly the location where the Central line joined the Blackpool North line into Kirkham and Wesham.

But Im puzzled by this big structure. It is a huge 'wall' and in fact, looks more like a brick buttress for a bridge! But there's nothing similar on the other side of the track, no road here and the Central track seems to join \ leave at a branch off close by.

Does anyone know what this structure is \ was? I was thinking maybe one of the lines from Blackpool Central came over the North line via some sort of bridge and this structure is all that's left. But, there doesnt seem enough room for a curve over any bridge and allowing the line to join with that from Blackpool North.

Any insight of pics would be good!

PTmodeller

Re: Blackpool Central - Kirkham Wesham junction.

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Is it to be found at SD405330?

(Grid reference, put it into Multimap)

Looking at the location and the 1:25000 mapping, It looks like an underpass related to the junction. I have a book which will probably tell us, but it's hiding from me.

centenary

Postby centenary » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:09 pm

No. Its this structure just ahead and to the right of the train in the picture

http://www.multimap.com/s/PdmOuJK6

Hope this zooms in OK.

There's deffo a cross over of some sort there but there's no underpass. Everything is on the same level except for this huge wall type structure.

centenary

Postby centenary » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 pm

On the OS version of the same map here http://www.multimap.com/s/jCEzNk74 you can clearly see there must have been some bridge where the track goes over the line.

Whatever structure was in place on the other side of the track has been removed and there's no sign of anything. But if I nab a seat on that side of the train tomorrow, I'll have a look at the ground.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:22 pm

There's a train in that picture?

centenary

Postby centenary » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm

There is in the zoomed in google map picture I tried to post! In the multimap version I eventually posted there isnt.

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 am

Not sure if its me but if you zoom out a bit, showing more of the actual mainline..... the footbridge and looking over the area and towards the junction, you got the very much redundant...looks like a run around loop...there might have been some sort of station in the middle? Going from Memory, i know that the land on the left of the line (as if your travelling towards blackpool) is raised :?

class86

Postby class86 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 am

There was a flyover at this junction and what you can see is the remains of that. If you look on Google earth you can make out the old track bed for the Preston bound line which went over the top of the existing line to Blackpool Noth and joined the fast line just to the west of the signal box.

centenary

Postby centenary » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm

class86 wrote:There was a flyover at this junction and what you can see is the remains of that. If you look on Google earth you can make out the old track bed for the Preston bound line which went over the top of the existing line to Blackpool Noth and joined the fast line just to the west of the signal box.

I wondered if there was some sort of fly over but couldnt see any sign of a similar structure on the opposite side of the line. Had a look when sat on that side of the train the last couple of nights and there does seem to be some largish pieces of rubble where the other butress may have been.

Looking at google and also the track, there's a definite slope from this structure which comes level with the main track just by the Kirkham Wesham signal box.

Postby 46235 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:50 pm

If you look on Multimap at location SD405330 and then change the view to OS Map there is marked a dismantled railway which looks like it heads to Blackpool South.
It's only a game of football - it's not a matter of life and death

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 pm

That's the 'line to Central. The direct “Marton” line from Preston (which also passed through Blackpool South station) was closed in 1967, leaving a large tract of wasteland along with disused embankments and bridges. That, from Wiki, should explain.

Return to “Real World Railways”