I Couldn't Believe My Eyes...!!!!

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
GWMainline

I Couldn't Believe My Eyes...!!!!

Postby GWMainline » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Hello everyone (this is ultimately a quest for info),

Sat this morning, looking at the rain outside whilst doing a bit of ballasting - heard a different noise on the Newton Abbot to Plymouth mainline (just outside my window) - looked up to see a double head steam train (I think the second one was number 70013) heading towards Plymouth. Wow! Looked great and sounded even better!! This was at about 10.30am. Was pulling a rake of dark maroon coaches (don't ask what type - I've no idea - but was obviously a pleasure journey). Unfortunately "The Boy"missed them as he was out in the village with his mum and sister.

So, I'm thinking it's gone down - when is it coming back up? "The Boy" gets home - gutted at what he's missed, but I've primed him for the return journey. It was funny - for the rest of the day he's up and down like a Yoyo every time he hears a train passing.

Anyway - about 5.00pm ish I look out of the kitchen window (I'm cooking tea to earn some brownie points) and low and behold, it's the maroon carriages going back up, but this time hauled by a Western class diesel and pushed by a West Coast Railways class 47. SHOUTED to The Boy who spots it out of the conservatory. Now this takes me back a bit as I can remember as a small child (I'm talking no more than 2 years old) my Grandad (sadly passed away 35 years ago) and me leaning over the fence at the bottom of our garden in Laira and looking at the signals to see when the next train was coming. We saw Westerns, and they're the first type of locomotive that I can remember.

As pleasant as this was it leaves me with a couple of questions and herein is reason for my post.

Q1. There must be a couple of steam loco's now south of Totnes as they haven't gone back up - where are they?
Q2. When (day) and what time are they travelling back up?

I'd like to take the boy to the local station to catch them in the flesh - if anyone knows I'd be really greatful for your help.

Here's hoping...

Regards,

John P

Speed Whisker

Re: I Couldn't Believe My Eyes...!!!!

Postby Speed Whisker » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:19 pm

I can't help you with your query I'm afraid but it sounds as if your house is in a great location. :wink:
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

GunnerBill

Postby GunnerBill » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:23 pm

After a bit of googling:

http://www.5305la.org.uk/news.aspx?ID=249

http://www.5305la.org.uk/events.aspx

and... 70013 Great Britain III 07-04-2010 Penzance - Plymouth - Exeter - Bristol Double heading throughout Sponsored by the Railway Touring Company http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk

http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk/index.p ... 40410.html

So you should see it back next week!

(I am bored :mrgreen: )

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Give me the Western anyday :mrgreen: twin Maybach engines loads of clag Hellfire :D
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

GWMainline

Postby GWMainline » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Speed whisker - Yes, it's not a bad spot! When we first moved in the trains were really noticeable - but we don't take any notice of them now. My 2 kids love it - and let's be honest who wouldn't - we're all spotters at heart aren't we?

Gunner Bill - thank you very much! Have checked the links it looks like they'll be down and up again next week - so I'll take "The Boy" over to the station at a suitable time. May even take a camera - naturally any images captured will be posted up as a thank you!

I must say that all the loco's looked great - nice clean and shiny....

Thank you once again.

Regards,

John P.

GWMainline

Postby GWMainline » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:55 pm

50035 Ark Royal,

Hmm - have a bit of a soft spot for the westerns for the reasons above - they take me back to my child hood. I'd like to pick one up in OO scale (in the maroon colour or Blue - they are the ones I remember seeing) - have been looking around the market they are starting to appear - but not cheap.

Incidentally your name thingy (50035) also reminds me as a youngster we used to go train spotting in Plymouth station or locally at Plympton where we used to see no end of class 50s (this would have been late 70s to early 80s). I had an Ian Allan book listing all the engines and we used to cross them off once seen. I'll have to dig it out of Mums loft and see how many we actually got - Ha, I must have been a true spotter!! I think Hornby have released 50013 (Agincourt), that was a regular that we used to see - another one for the shopping list.

Cheers for now.

John P.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:28 am

GWMainline wrote:it's the maroon carriages going back up, but this time hauled by a Western class diesel and pushed by a West Coast Railways class 47

The Class 47 on the rear isn't pushing, it is simply there as an insurance policy against breakdown
All charter trains are now required to have two locomotives, either both at the front, or front and rear
Railtrack started off by having the reserve loco following behind, but it caused so many problems when the actual train itself broke down

Some of the charter companies have managed to renegotiate the removal for the need of the reserve loco on shorter trains or where the train is within 200 miles of their depot
This was due to the extra weight of having to carry this "dead" loco at the rear
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:46 am

upnick

Postby upnick » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:13 am

Talking of class 47's on Good friday about 1.30pm i was waiting on the train to get in to Preston station 47787 Windsor Castle in EWS livery with several coaches two at least pullmans & another 47 in EWS livery bringing up the rear passed the coaches marked up as west coast line ...... which i presume all belong to west coast railways .... a previous poster mentioned a second loco runs as back up on these trains good piece of information thank you :D .
''Now if you'll excuse me i'm a busy man have a railroad to build''
''Building America''

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Reminds me of when we were on holiday last year, myself, the missus (SWMBO) and my son, who, as some of you might recall, is adult but autistic, and LOVES trains. Said son was delighted to find that the holiday site was right next to the line between Swansea and Carmarthen, which is on a low embankment at that point and therefore gives a grandstand view of the trains. Anytime a train was heard he'd instantly drop anything he was doing and rush to the window - I think his favourites were the Great Western HSTs.

My "couldn't beleve my eyes" moment, though, came when we were driving through the site late one afternoon on our way back from a day out somewhere, when I glanced to the right to see a gleaming Britannia come drifting down the grade towards Swansea. It wasn't much of a sighting (I couldn't even catch the number), but, considering it was a complete surprise, I suppose I was lucky to catch it at all - though it would have been even better if I'd caught it on the way out, going up the grade and therefore doing a bit of real work.

Later research revealed it to have been 70013 on the Cambrian Coast Express. If I'd known in advance I could have gone a mile or two further along to where the line runs alongside the estuary (just across the water from where old Dylan Thomas used to get sloshed at Laugharne) and you can stand at the top of the beach right beside the tracks. Oh well...
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi John bet you saw 35 as it was Laira loco and the first to be named so was quite distinctive especially with the large pattern crests and sealead beam headligts on the former headcode box.
As regards Agincourt yes i remember it but never one of my favourites. Hand an unfortunate nickname by some Agein crate.I envy you seeing all those 50;s in blue as i did not see all of them in br blue as a lot before my time.Living in Birmingham until the beginning of the 80's (after Saltley men had been trained on them)they were pretty rare only 2 booked per day on NESW services.For the record the ones i saw and had for haulage in blue were 50001/002/005/006/007/011/012/013/014/016/017/018/019/021/024/025/026/027/028/029/030/033/034/037/039(fire)/040/042/043/044/045/047/048/049/050

GWMainline

Postby GWMainline » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Hello everyone,

Gald to see my post has sparked some interest.

Ark Royal - Are there an 50s you didn't see!!

Well, to tie up my initial query the 2 steams went back up this afternoon. I was out washing the car around lunchtime (dodging the showers - not earning brownie points - car cleaning is a passion of mine) when I heard once more the distcinctive sound that only steam engines can bring.

They trundled past at a nice speed, this time I was ready for them - no pictures though! 70013 in the lead, a maroon coach in between and the second loco bring up the rear. Still shiny and still sounding great. The Boy was happy too - he saw them as well!! Out of interest can anyone tell me why they had a carriage in between - is there a reason for doing this?

This will have set The Boy up real good for his birthday next Thursday - lurking at the bottom of my Wardrobe is The Flying Scotsman with 3 LNER Teak coaches, and a GWR 0-6-0 Tank Engine with 2 Bachman GWR coaches!! I can't wait - sorry, He won't be able to get on the layout quick enough - I think we'll be removing our Diesels for a day of steam running.

Thank you all once again for your help.

Regards,

John P.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi John nope saw them all many times my first for sight was Dreadnought and last was St Vincent.In October 81 i had my first for Haulage which was 50045 Achilles in the then novel Large Logo livery.My last for haulage was 50041 Bulwark in June 85 and also in same moth June 85 50048 Dauntless was my first for a 1,000 miles.My last one to clear for a 1,000 miles was 50029 Renown july 87 However by withdrawl of this loco in Jan 92 i had 7,250 miles behind.From 1985 solid 50 bashing and many Summer Saturdays spent in Newquay/Penzance/Paignton etc and weeks of all line rovers during holidays.Mispent youth but happy days :D
cheers
Wish id been around when the Westerns,Warships and Hymeks were on service trains.

GWMainline

Postby GWMainline » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Ark Royal,

Yep - they sound like good summers! I mentioned above that as kids we would go spotting in Plympton (on the outskirts of Plymouth). There was a disused bit of land, long grass, a few brambles and a Crab apple tree right next to the line. If we climbed the tree we would be at the same level as the loco's wheels, about 30 feet from the actual rails. We spent hours perched in that tree - we always kept on the right side of the fence, never got up to any mischief. It never rained - the sun was always out and it was hotter (sorry - slipped on the rose tinted specatcles for a minute - haha....).

We saw loads of different classes - off the top of my head 25's, 31s, 33's, 37's, 47's & of course 50's. I really must get that book from my Mum's and look back at what we actually did see. This was also the era of the Blue and Yellow HST's, we saw a few of those too. Also we used to get the older DMU's (can't remember the class - must get that book!) Seeing those engines at the bottom end of Hemerdon Bank and the speed at which they were travelling having just come down from the top was pretty awesome looking back. The ground rumbled beneath your feet! The trains going up were pretty impressive too. Where we used to sit they were a full whack to get up the bank well - again, when you think of what those engines were doing it was pretty impressive.

Not so much variety now. From my home (still 30 feet from the track!) we get the a few 66's, the regional DMUs (can't figure out the differences bewteen them yet), loads of HST's, Voyagers (Cross country - used to be Virgin), Ocassoinally a 47 or a 57, when the TPOs ran regularly a 67, and of course the occasional steam engine too. Which brings us back to where we started.

Regards,

John P.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Yes John you must get that book, i for one will be fascinated what 50's and other locos you actually see.This thread has sparked a lot of interest which i think this is what this forum is all about.As with me posting this it is now up to 15 posts.Although i am not into Steam i can see the fascination that appeals to even the people who are not into trains i am talking mom,dads grandma, grandad etc.I think and rightly so is that it is a part of our railway heritage.
Yes the Railway has changed alot and i can;t get excited about the traction today.I would say the most interesting class still soildering on is the Class 60 and HST.The West Country to me just is not the same without the Hoovers,Westerns,Warships,Hymeks,37'S etc and to the lesser extent 45/46 peaks and a lot less duffs.The Night Riviera sleeper thankfuly still survives but not the same without a 50 on the front.

Return to “Real World Railways”