My Saturday

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.

My Saturday

Postby 47806 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Over the past few months, I have started volunteering with the Toronto Railway Historical Association. Yesterday, there was an organised photoshoot and I was part of the crew (mainly moving fences around). I did have some time to record some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMgEQLMhzFo

Anyone who is heading to Toronto should consider visiting the roundhouse, it should be open in beginning this summer.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

pointstaken

Re: My Saturday

Postby pointstaken » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks for that, I enjoyed the video. One question, if I may - what was the steam locomotive ? was it a 4-8-2 or a 4-8-4 ?

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Postby 47806 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

pointstaken wrote:Thanks for that, I enjoyed the video. One question, if I may - what was the steam locomotive ? was it a 4-8-2 or a 4-8-4 ?

Dennis

Canadian National Railways U-2 class Northern-type steam locomotive 4-8-4. Sadly it can no longer steam, but it is in pretty good shape.

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Although they owe a lot to American practice, I always thought that Canadian locos were much neater looking than their American counterparts. Much less utilitarian in appearance. I'm also reminded of the "Royal Hudsons" and similar machines. Anyway, thanks for the answer. Perhaps one day that U2 will steam again, funds permitting.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Postby 47806 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:05 pm

A wonderful thought, but I was talking on the weekend to the man who has looked after her for decades and, while the exterior is OK, she has sat outdoors for about 35 years and it is likely that she will never be able to steam again. Steam in Canada does not have the same following as in the UK, the last UK-style steam charters in Ontario ran in the 1970s.

Return to “Real World Railways”