Steam Dreams

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
trainsandco

Steam Dreams

Postby trainsandco » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Does anyone else keep up to date with Steam Dreams and go and film them going through there local station?

I often go to may local station (Reading General) and see al sorts, Tangmere, Tornado, Bittern, Duchess of Sutherland :D

Last year I went to see my brother and his wife in York and it was 'Conveniently' on the day the Coronation was going through ;) I was hoping to go see it again this year and see my Brother, his wife and there baby (be about 9 months then. she's so cute :D ) and of course the coronation ;) but it inconveniently coincided with my GCSE exams :x oh well maybe next year

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas or time.

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Sprintex

Re: Steam Dreams

Postby Sprintex » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Not just Steam Dreams, there's plenty of other companies running railtours as well :lol:

Been to see Tornado a few times now, also seen Duchess of Sutherland, Oliver Cromwell, Tangmere, Bittern, and of course good old Sir Nige :wink:

UK Steam Info

Paul

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Just been looking at the Broadsman train running to open the new /re-opened crossing between the mainline and the preservation railway at Sheringham in Norfolk on the 11 March.

But i have a question.

The train is hauled by Oliver Cromwell from London to Norwich, then deisel hauled Norwich to Cromer then Oliver Cromwell from Cromer over the crossing to Holt then th reverse back to london.

Why cant Oliver Cromwell haul from Norwich to Cromer????

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Simply put Barney.....NO TURNTABLE in the whole area :roll:
The Bittern(formerly Broads)Line currently has 3 passing places at Wroxham where it's double-line,then a passing loop at North Walsham before reaching Cromer where there's a island/terminus & that's where the problem is.Cuts being made meant abandoning a crucial part of the triangular juction at East Runton :roll:
During the M&GN days,the line could continue straight over a viaduct straight on to Sheringham from the shared line that also ran into Cromer High.Both the small viaduct & Cromer High are now just history(though the viaduct is still in place).This was all a junction,but for many years now,the line runs into Cromer(Beach),the driver vacates one cab of his DMU & wanders up to the other end to run "backwards" on into Sheringham.
During the M&GN(later British Railways) period,the trains like the Norfolkman or Norfolk Coast Express would go from Norwich,Wroxham,N.Walsham,Gunton(perhaps) before reaching this large triangular junction near East Runton,cross the now disused viaduct before bearing West on to Sheringham.Either that or stop on Cromer,do a run-around,cross the other,currently used viaduct & pull into Sheringham on platform 2.
This would then entail the loco running light on to Melton's turntable before returning to do the return express on to Norwich & then Liverpool Street.
I'll try to find you a link that may explain in a better way than I can :oops:
Found this that at least gives you a map of the line then & now.
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Railway_stations_in_Cromer
Roughton Road is a "station" added in the 1980s BTW but it's the red line through to the blue(apart from the section to "High" which has gone) that form the current Bittern
Hope this info helps :wink:

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:05 am

Ahh I see.. I have not been into Cromer station, in fact never even noticed the station itself, (Im in Cromer 3-4 times a week too)

Makes more sense now.. thanks

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:37 pm

The original station house is still there(preservation order etc),but other than the two lines terminating,the island platform & the remaining signal box,there's not a fat-sight else :roll:
If you ever come in via the A148 from Fakenham-direction,it's on the left with the Argos & small retail park before it & Morrisons Supermarket to the other side over what was all the sidings.
You'll find even less to see of Cromer High,other than evidence of an old bridge,an industrial estate on what was the approach to the station from the South & a pair of old bridges going over the line that went East to Overstrand,Mundesley(On-Sea as it was) then looped back to North Walsham.
There ARE mutterings(very quiet ones) about doing something with the Southerly,disused bridge at East Runton,but could be some time away if it happens.Cost a bomb to try & reclaim the land from the present owners though :roll:

Return to “Real World Railways”