London Transport Trains in the 60s

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
piermaster

London Transport Trains in the 60s

Postby piermaster » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi all,
Somehow my previous posting disappeared when the forum crashed.

Been scanning some slides of London Underground in the 1960s that were left to me:

Metropolitan Line 1920s 'F' Stock on an Uxbridge service at Moorgate (still bomb-damaged in the early 60s).

District Line 4-car 'Q' stock train at Ealing Common Depot with a Q23 Driving Motor, Q38 Trailer, Q31 Trailer, and Q35 Driving Motor.

District Line Q23 heading a Bank Holiday only working Whitechapel-Putney via north side of Circle Line at Farringdon, apart from the train, this scene hasn't changed!!

Ex LT Standard Stock repainted in BR Blue for Isle of Wight service with 043 heading a test train at speed(!) through Surbiton on 13 July 1966.

Not LT, but the last surviving LNWR Oerlikon electric unit as the Stonebridge Park Depot Shunter.

The (then) New Kid on the Block!! Metropolitan Line A60 unit going through the wash at Neasden Depot.

Enjoy!!!

Dave
Last edited by piermaster on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: London Transport Trains in the 60s

Postby Eastern » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Love the colours in these old photos - keep them coming!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Xerces Fobe

Postby Xerces Fobe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I just love the photo of the Oerlikon kept as a depot shunter ummm! They did the same with an LMS 3-car EMU afterwards just an excuse to keep an old unit all power to the staff at that shed; what a shame one complete unit of each was not preserved.

Xerces Fobe

oztankonline

Postby oztankonline » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:09 am

Nice photo's it must have been something like that that I travelled on between stations to catch the boat train to Tilbury docks in 1957, always nice to reflect back to better days.
Robert.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:23 am

Some more:

More District Line Q Stock lined up at Ealing Common Depot.

2-cars of F stock at Neasden Depot, fresh out of Acton Works paint shop - they were destined for preservation after the 1963 Metropolitan Railway Centenary Celebrations, but the restoration was only superficial as this stock had a bad reputation for corrosion.

Standard Stock straight out of overhaul at Acton Works 14 June 1966.

Metropolitan Line T stock nearing the end of its working life in the early 1960s at Neasden Depot.

There's more to come!!!

Dave

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Interesting pictures and all the better for being in colour. I have to say the 1938 stock is my favourite. I remember the Q stock on the Disrict line in both red and silver. The trains with the flared bottoms if I've got that correct.
Vaguely remember travelling on the standard stock as a toddler where the two doors closed on to a vertical bar as opposed to closing on to each other as in the later stock.
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:00 am

The flare-sided stock included some of the Q stock (which was a real mixture of styles from 1923, '27, '31 and '35 as well as the '38 stock referred to), O and P stock (later CO and CP stock) and R stock (which included some converted from Q38 cars as well).

I have to agree that the flare-sided stock was among my favourite to ride on in my childhood as well. They always looked rather majestic sweeping in to the station. The flares also seemed to have a psychological effect in that people stood back a bit more as they approached.

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:53 am

I remember the 'R' stock, waiting for one at Mile End, ankle slicers.... They always seemed spotless and tidy, or is that my memory playing tricks.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:57 pm

Just for you Colin,

R Stock at Dagenham East heading on a Wimbledon Service, late 1960s.
Dave
Piermaster - New Walmington Pier
It sticks out half a mile!!
Terminus - All Change!!!
Heritage trams in a heritage setting.

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Cheers Dave, I could have been on that train. I worked for a year at Fords, just to earn the money for my Corsair. I've some photos of the Epping to Ongar line somewhere I'll try and dig them out. Keep them coming Dave.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Another one that Colin (Bushey Troughs) might remember:

R49 car leading at Wimbledon - late 1950s/early 1960s

and one that he certainly won't remember:

District Railway 4-4-0T condensing loco No.4 and close-coupled radial wheelbase coaches at Wimbledon Park - 1880s.

And for the rest of you, anyone remember the original York Railway Museum in the old wagon works in Queen Street?

A very sorry-looking City & South London Railway 'Padded Cell' No.30 in the 1950s/60s. Now fully restored and at the London Transport Museum, Covent Garden.

Changing the subject, I found my slide collection of Wagons-Lits cars which I recently scanned and now in the process of publishing them.

Cheers,
Dave
Terminus - All Change!!!

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:40 am

Dave, I can remember the red speed whisker on R stock. I think the the Beyer Peacock 'A' class was just a little before my time, but those carriages remind me of old Midland stock.
I've a vague recollection of 'Oerlikon' stock on the Watford Junction line.
COLIN.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:16 am

You mean the Oerlikons like this:

This ended its working life as the Stonebridge Park Depot shunter and the Driving Motor Car is now on display at NRM York.

and you'll certainly remember these:

LMS GEC stock at Harlesden late 1950s/ealy1960s.

Speaking of the Watford DC Lines, you certainly won't remember this:

Joint LNWR/London Electric Railways stock on Watford Junction - Rickmansworth Church Street on a Sundays-Thursdays only working at Watford High Street, 1931/32.

Enjoy!!!
Dave
Terminus - All Change!!!

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:28 am

Question Dave,

Have you any pictures of the stock used on the Northern Line that run between Barnet (northern end) and Malden (southern end), as I used to travel on this line every weekend to go and visit my Nan between 1956 to 1966 when I moved away from the area and tube travel was no longer an option available to me?

Ian

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Ian,

The stock you'd be referring to on the Northern Line at that time would be 1938 tube stock and I have very few photos of them other than a Bakerloo Line 7-car set (they had a 1927 trailer car in them) on a railtour of the Metropolitan Line in the early 1970s:

At Rickmansworth

1927 Trailer Car at Watford (Met.)

Tour train reversing at Amersham Sidings.

Otherwise the 2-car versions of this stock are still earning their keep on the Isle of Wight.

Cheers,
Dave
Terminus - All Change!!!

Return to “Real World Railways”