The Railway Press and Tornado

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
roadie stu

The Railway Press and Tornado

Postby roadie stu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi All

Just a little observation and I'd like to hear what other people think,

I was reading through some copies of Steam Railway today, on the whole I think it's a good publication, but I think it might be suffering from "tunnel vision" (no pun intended!!),let Me explain,

in every Issue all of Tornado's trips have been documented in the railtour reviews, It's all very interesting to read, but any other railtours only get a small mention in the last paragraph or so,I feel it is damaging other preservation groups who have mainline loco's putting in equally good preformances, as they hardly get a mention,

don't get Me wrong, I'm not anti Tornado,it's an impressive engineering feat and well done to the people who have worked so hard to make it reality, it's just there are other loco's out there preforming on the main line that would benifit form a slice of the lime light,

so it's over to you for your thoughts

regards

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault

poliss

Re: The Railway Press and Tornado

Postby poliss » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:52 pm

I don't think it will do any harm. Steam enthusiast will know there are other railtours happening and it could increase interest from members of the general public who didn't even know that there were still steam engines running.

david1943

Postby david1943 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm

That maybe Steam Railways way of doing things but there are plenty of other magazines giving full coverage of whats going on in the world of steam preservation.

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:05 am

perhaps they are just relishing the opportunity to review steam tours hauled by a local which was built less that 50 years ago. I'm sure it'll ease of in a year or two.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:31 am

I hope it does ease off, I'm sick to death of hearing about Tornado all the time. In fact, I can't remember the last time I read a railway mag that didn't mention Tornado, (Rail excepted). I realise they need to claw back the money spent building it, but they're starting to put a lot of people off. The other day someone,(who doesn't really follow trains in any capacity,) said to me, why does everywhere keep going on about Tornado all the time, what happened to the days of Mallard and Flying Scotsman? I replied saying that they both still exist, but sit waiting to be restored.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 am

Who cares about the LNER stuff anyhow... :twisted:

It was bad enough back in the 60s and 70s when the Model railway Press were full of arcticles on GWR branch lines (as were most exhibitions!)... Thats what lead the likes of Essery and Jenkinson to start writing and modelling the LMS, for those of you with long memories!

All this Modern Image gets a bit boring too.... :mrgreen:

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 am

poliss wrote: it could increase interest from members of the general public who didn't even know that there were still steam engines running.

give me nickel each time I told someone there were still steam trains running on the mainline and they were surprised I'd be a Milwunaire Rodney ;) (good ol' del Boy :D )

b308 wrote:Thats what lead the likes of Essery and Jenkinson to start writing and modelling the LMS, for those of you with long memories!

All this Modern Image gets a bit boring too...

Ah Jenkinson and the Kendal branch, now that was a really really decent railway, well done to him.....(RIP)

yeah I mean who likes these 66's and 56's and 47's and stuff like that? eh? :P

only use for em!!
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Return to “Real World Railways”