What engine(s) do you want to see

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Pedanticmongrel

Re: What engine(s) do you want to see

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:05 am

A 9F on the mainline again, what a prospect that would be! got quite a lot of footage of 92220 when it ran in the 1980's, Green Arrow needs restoring too and no reason for it to be prohibited either!it would be nice to see 506 Butler Henderson in steam again, Looking forward to seeing 70000 when it returns too. The Dukedog 9017 would be the ultimate though, on the Cambrian trips. Doubleheaded from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth with Didcot's 5322 both in BR guise would be something special. :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 am

Zunnan wrote:I'll keep mine plausible...I want to see Union Pacific #3985 running at full track speed (about 70mph) with a decent load. Its not a matter of if it'll ever happen, it's just a case of how much, where and when? :lol:

487 tons of brute force!

Hey there, Zunnan! I've posted this before, but I'm posting it again just for you. Not as good as real life, but the next best thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1_4ymsIig
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

gav_106

Postby gav_106 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:22 pm

i would most like to see CITY OF BIRMINGHAM out of the museum and on the mainline. Only Duchess of a city we have left. OR something that will never happen but has been a crazy idea ever since i saw someone make a model of EXETER CATHEDRAL which would have been a gwr 4-6-2 pacific done. its in Railway modeler from about two or three years ago if anyone has seen it. Absolutly gorgeous. if only if only if only

34028Eddystone

Postby 34028Eddystone » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 pm

id quite like to see 5 restored rebuilt/unrebuilt bullied pacifics all on one train thundering at over 100 mph
34070 manston (un)
34072 257 squadron (un)
34028 eddystone (re)
sir keith park (re)
sidmoth (re)

gav_106

Postby gav_106 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:39 pm

haha my dad went to a meeting in sidmouth town hall on tues or wednesday about raising money for 34010. sounds like you spend a lot of time in herston works

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:21 pm

gav_106 wrote: sounds like you spend a lot of time in herston works

If he does i think he needs to revisit as he has broken the number one rule. He spelt Bulleid wrong. :wink:

Seeing all 5 hauling one train is a bit of an odd dream though, surely standing at clapham junction watching them pass with individual trains is good enough?

I'd personally like to see 35005 'Canadian Pacific' back on the mainline, only ever got to see her once when she ran on the big network. An M7 on a pushpull set on the Lymington branch is also very appealing... or perhaps 41312 running the branch for a day.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:56 pm

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/90001.htm on the West Highland Line
and this museum exhibit
http://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk/member/boness-and-kinneil-railway
in the same weekend
rocketman

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:09 pm

UrbanHermit wrote:
Zunnan wrote:I'll keep mine plausible...I want to see Union Pacific #3985 running at full track speed (about 70mph) with a decent load. Its not a matter of if it'll ever happen, it's just a case of how much, where and when? :lol:

487 tons of brute force!

Hey there, Zunnan! I've posted this before, but I'm posting it again just for you. Not as good as real life, but the next best thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1_4ymsIig

Shame its only a Challenger.

Now for a real comeback it would have to be a Union Pacific Big Boy. There are quite a few knocking around and a couple of them would only take a very large money bank to get them up and running again. The feasibility of this happening however are at the least remote but one can live in hope.
Thats my dream machine anyway

Ian :D

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:29 pm

heyian, I thought that there were a few in steam, over in the US of A

see look

:D
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Thats 3985, there hasn't been a Big Boy in steam since 1962 when the last four were withdrawn following a period of storage.

A couple of the preserved examples were actually overhauled at withdrawl (4023 certainly was, but was then later stored outdoors which caused problems), meaning that mechanically some of them are in very good condition; 4014 probably being the best as she is regularly fully oiled, greased and repainted and has been ever since withdrawl. The biggest thing standing in the way of one returning to steam isn't the cost, 4014 literally only needs a steam test and the boiler jacket replacing assuming nothing untowards showed up. The biggest problem is that very few places have strong enough infrastructure and rail to take a 550 ton locomotive. None of the preservation lines could accomodate this weight, and a good many main lines don't use rail of sufficient weight/poundage to support one running at anywhere near line speed, so it would have to operate at a greatly reduced pace and get in the way of everything. The Challenger is pretty much near those limits itself on some lines.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:01 pm

Now that is a real crying shame, so much for modernisation.

Ian

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:42 pm

I have not yet seen 4965 and 5043 yet, but i will at didcot on saturday 1st may!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D and also clun back soon!!
7820 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW (now)
the great bear to see how big the firebox is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all broad gauge to didcot so they can actually run! including Tiny on the South devon railway. Broad gauge shunting with it at the same time as iron duke pulling a passenger train
Cheers Seb
:D

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sat May 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Not especially fussy,but so long as it has steam,a tender & goes like stink in full flight.
Even a deltic or 37 is satisfactory from my POV....

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sun May 30, 2010 11:17 am

In the UK, Gresley's 10000/W1/Hush hush, a failure but the most technically fascinating British steam locomotive ever. Put in another vote for an LMS Garratt (for comparison with the others all over the Commonwealth if nothing else) and if there's a third vote Stanier's Turbomotive.

While there I'd pop across the Channel to see some of Andre Chapelon's compounds. Not only (IMHO) the greatest steam loco designer of the 20th century, he gets extra Brownie points for being the only one of the late steam designers to get compounds working properly. :shock:

In Australia, get the last of the 57 class 4-8-4 heavy goods locos (5711) running FFS!!!! :evil: The largest rigid frame locomotives to run on the NSWGR. I never saw them running as their axle loading was so high they weren't allowed on the Northern line. :( It's been under restoration in one form or another for nearly 40 years and still isn't finished, and unfortunately the latest restoration project (at least the third) is only to be static (http://www.australiansteam.com/5711.htm). If new construction's allowed, lay down misere a Victorian Railways S class streamliner (like the 57s, using Gresley conjugating valve gear). Four were built, and all scrapped in the 1950s :cry:

World-wide: Union Pacific "Big Blow" gas turbine (8,500 hp in the early '60s! :shock: )
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

hedgefordpete.

Postby hedgefordpete. » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:47 pm

hi everybody, my trainspotting days were spent on rugeley trent valley station watching the likes of the royal scot-the midday scot-the yorkshire rose and others all at full blast on the two inner tracks through the station,if only to see them again...i have not experienced a 9f or a great western or anything from the south, to far to travel. correct me if i am wrong but i remember running the curves into carlisle station in the 1940s with a double header and counting 22 coaches, could i be wrong. in those days the trains to scotland were packed with troops, my family would catch the train at wolverhampton and find the only seats available were on the mail backs or the crews bunks in the gaurds van . this van would have windows at the front so that i could look out onto the end of the tender and watch the water overflow after picking up from the troughs. sorry but i can go on and on, and dream...pete.

Return to “Real World Railways”