What engine(s) do you want to see

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
trainsandco

What engine(s) do you want to see

Postby trainsandco » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:14 am

What engine would you want to see pelting along the main line?

I Personally would like to see a 9f at speed on the mainline but this will never happen, although there are many 9f's preserved, Network Rail has banned them from the main line due to thumping.
A more realistic option for me is the Duchess of Hamilton in streamlined condition. :D

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Re: What engine(s) do you want to see

Postby TerryB » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:44 am

Agree about the 9F ......they were as common as anything in my "spotting days" at my local station,but I've never managed to catch a preserved one in steam yet.
I think above all though,I wish I'd seen one of the LMS/LNER Beyer Garrett's in BR days.

T.
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm

TerryB wrote:Agree about the 9F ......they were as common as anything in my "spotting days" at my local station,but I've never managed to catch a preserved one in steam yet.
I think above all though,I wish I'd seen one of the LMS/LNER Beyer Garrett's in BR days.

T.

I can just remember the Garratts on the Toton - Brent coal trains in the 1950s. That was just before the 9Fs took over the job. I wish I had seen the LNER, 2-8-0+0-8-2 example though, that must have been some machine.
What I'd love to see would be an H G Ivatt, Princess Coronation Class 46256 or 46257 either would do. When I get the €uro millions up I'm going to commission a remake of 46256 Sir William A Stanier FRS, probably with rocking grate, giesel injector etc, etc.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:52 pm

I'll keep mine plausible...I want to see Union Pacific #3985 running at full track speed (about 70mph) with a decent load. Its not a matter of if it'll ever happen, it's just a case of how much, where and when? :lol:

487 tons of brute force!

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Personally id be happy seeing any of Gresleys masterpiece A3's or A4's, Even perhaps Tornado pelting along, ive never seen a steamer at full punch :cry:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm

ste234 wrote:Personally id be happy seeing any of Gresleys masterpiece A3's or A4's, Even perhaps Tornado pelting along, ive never seen a steamer at full punch :cry:

not in real life no, but the videos of the 50's/60's :shock: you can almost feel the ground shaking

T&C

81D & 55A

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:51 pm

Oh yeah, ive seen the video of mallard doing her run, but its still not as magical as watching it with the naked eye.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:56 pm

ste234 wrote:Oh yeah, ive seen the video of mallard doing her run, but its still not as magical as watching it with the naked eye.

mind you nothing is quite as magical as something naked :P
yeah notwork fail have to many stupid 'standard procedures' and 'precautions'

T&C

p.s. I hold no grudge at all to anyone in network rail, it just the company that can be a load of poo sometimes

81D & 55A

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:19 pm

TnC how old are you? :lol: dirty boy... :P

It's just the way things are im afraid, ive never seen a 9f move... ive seen one static at Shildon once...

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:35 pm

ste234 wrote:TnC how old are you? :lol: dirty boy... :P

under 18 ;)

81D & 55A

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:53 pm

ste234 wrote:It's just the way things are im afraid, ive never seen a 9f move... ive seen one static at Shildon once...

The only time i have been to the Glostershire Warwickshire Railway we were supposed to have Black Prince on our train, but it failed and they put on a recently ex-scrapline class 73 instead :( Further to that, they took it round to their yard, where there is strictly no visitor access so couldn't even get a photo of it. Ah well.

Carnforth station is great for watching trains on the WCML, the most impressive one was Princess Elizabeth, which came through flat out heading north. It was really givinjg it some, people were saying it much have been doing 80mph and it looked fantastic. On the same day, only a few minutes before that and a completely unexpected suprise was a charter with Royal Scots Grey, also absolutely flying, and hauling a class 47 on the end if the train.

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 pm

i know its impossible and its so strange but seeing britannia and oliver cromwell going across barmouth bridge! or even the 3 kings going across it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kenny
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

seasprite

Postby seasprite » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:35 pm

A class 25 with some blue grey MK1s in tow. :D

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Come to think of it actually a LOUD big engine working VERY hard over the forth bridge with ALOT of dark black exhaust (no preference to which loco though :) ) infact any engine working hard on a steep incline coming out of a tunnel with alot of exhaust. That explosion of the engine coming out of greet tunnel it is just magical :D

T&C

81D & 55A

roadie stu

Postby roadie stu » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:40 pm

I hope these trips could be aranged,

1) two railtours on the same day, one from Paddington to Bristol with 6023, the other Bristol to Paddington 6024, work out the trip timings and see them pass halfway, 2 Kings at the head of two express trains at speed in oppisite directions would be impressive, and for the first time since the 1960's, also if it could be done, same idea but with the trains running from Paddington to Birmingham and Birmingham to Paddington, or to and from Plymouth ,

2) 6023/24 double headded Paddington to Plymouth, just to see two Kings pounding over the devon banks and along the sea wall at Dawlish,

keeping my fingers crossed!!

regards

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault

Return to “Real World Railways”