the ghost of nimbus past

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
trainsandco

Re: the ghost of nimbus past

Postby trainsandco » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:02 pm

me I'm not scared of much-creepy crawlys
and
THE UNKNOWN!!!!!

thats why I hate cemetries
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:21 pm

glegalee wrote:I have to say that I and a few members of my family believe that I/they have seen "Ghosts" in the past, I believe that I saw the spirit of my old collie dog. I won't go into detail on the rest of my family but as I say I am a believer. Not sure that inanimate objects have spirits but you never know I could be wrong.

There is a difference between spirits and ghosts (depending, of course, whether you believe or not). A spirit is the soul or 'essence' of a living thing that survives death whereas a ghost is just a reflection of the past. A spirit could be aware of itself but a ghost could not as it is not 'alive' in the same sense as a spirit is 'alive' (if you see what I mean). A ghost might also only exist as a smell or a noise and can be of an inanimate object such as a train or car. There is also a theory that ghosts are the result of timeslips. The Deltic is rushing out of the tunnel some 40 odd years ago but, somehow, the observer sees it momentarily in the present. Perhaps, at the time the Deltic really was rushing out of the tunnel some 40 odd years ago a passenger on the train caught a glimpse of the observer from our time through the window and thought he'd just seen a ghost.
The reflection of the past or timeslip theory would also explain why some ghosts are seen walking two foot above the ground because the floor 100 years ago in that particular building was two feet higher.

Boo!
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

HonestTom

Postby HonestTom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:18 am

I've heard the Nimbus story. In fact, it was featured in a pretty good collection of supposed real life sightings entitled Railway Ghosts by W. B. Herbert. Thoroughly recommended for railway fans, enthusiasts of the paranormal and people who like a good scare.

A lot of Underground stations are said to be haunted. Elephant and Castle is supposedly haunted by the sound of running footsteps late at night, accompanied by doors opening and closing and objects being moved. I've been there for the last train a few times and not heard anything, but then I am an awful sceptic. Probably the strangest Tube haunting I ever heard of was a train in a cutting in Highgate. The weird thing about it is that that cutting was part of an extension that wasn't completed - trains have never run through there. Bank station is said to be haunted by a paranormal presence that causes feelings of despair, but this is normal for the Northern Line.
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:09 am

HonestTom wrote:Thoroughly recommended for railway fans, enthusiasts of the paranormal and people who like a good scare.

That definitely includes me then. Trains and ghosts - I wouldn't be able to put the book down. :wink:

I've read many times that Covent Garden Underground station is also haunted.
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm

i have a book called the haunted railways of britain......thats where i got the nimbus story from.....some of them are quite creepy!!!

kenny
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:47 pm

Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:37 pm

have you seen '\\the Signalman' by Charles Dickens? It was a stupid idea to watch it just before I went to bed :roll: :lol:

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Pug

Postby Pug » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

Of course railways are haunted; or at least one of their stations was!

Have you never read the story, "The Ghost Train", or seen the play?

I believe that it had a fair run in the West End.

Written by no lesser a Playwright and Actor, than Major William Arnold Ridley, OBE, and if you're now wondering "Where have I seen that name before?", he was the actor who played "Private Godfrey" in "Dad's Army".

His character was an elderly retired gents outfitter, who lived with his sister "Dolly" - and he represented a superb throwback to Edwardian England, before chivalry died on the fields of Flanders.

He's worth looking up on "Wikiwhatsit", quite a man!

The play is perhaps a bit "old hat" compared to entertainment of the digitally produced and enhanced kind, but I last saw it acted by a local "Am-Dram", here in Staffordshire about 12 years ago, and it was still quite enjoyable.

So yes, of course stations can be haunted, dear old Arnold wouldn't have misled us, would he?

John

poliss

Postby poliss » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

I have a DVD of Arnold Ridley's Ghost Train. The ghost in question was actually a German spy.

Pug

Postby Pug » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 pm

I can't remember the whole plot, but I think that one of the other characters was an undercover detective.

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:36 pm

I have never seen anything on the tube or network rail but I did used to work late in central london, invariably meant catching very late weeknight tubes home. If I had to change from edware to highbarnet branches @ camden town station I was invariably alone in the connecting stairs & passages (not the main one with the escalators but the pure interchange one) between the two platforms. As it is I always feel uncomfortable or ill at ease in that part and never felt entirely happy till I was a fair way down the highbarnet platform if it was empty or at least out of sight of the entrance if the platform was populated.
Likewise, Paddington late at night when the station is very much quieter is not a good place to spend a penny, perhaps its just the gloominess of the toilets there but they are oh so much worse when your the only bugger there and the attendant is snoozing in his cubbyhole. Same goes for the connecting bridge at Clapham Junction when the station is quiet.
Never seen anything mind, just felt rather ill at ease on the network at times with a rather high inclination to run.

Oh, and I don't mind my own company, I walked 1.5 miles through poncanna fields in cardiff at 3am going home before now after a night out, never saw another soul and no lighting, just pitch black and silent except the wind in the trees. Nice way to walk off the beer ;)

HonestTom

Postby HonestTom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:33 am

My great-grandfather was a signalman out in the middle of rural Staffordshire. He told a story about the time he was on his way home late at night and saw this eerie figure staggering through the graveyard, moaning. As it turned out, it was a drunk being sick behind the gravestones.

I've never had any actual supernatural experiences on the railways myself (I'm a sceptic), but a few of the London stations have freaked me out. Not so much the Tube, because that at least is staffed. But run-down stations like Battersea Park, Queenstown Road and Barnes Bridge, where you find yourself all alone, can spook a chap late at night.

I don't know if anyone's seen An American Werewolf in London (one of my favourite movies), but there's a scene in that about the hazards of being the last person in the station at night. The trouble with the Underground now, from a ghostchaser's perspective, is that it's always full of people, even late at night. I'd be far more worried about having to talk to hipsters than I would about ghosts on my late night train.
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:32 am

That American Werewolf in London scene where the victim is stalked through the Underground station is particularly creepy. :shock:

GunnerBill

Postby GunnerBill » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:01 am

"...feelings of despair, but this is normal for the Northern Line." :P

Too right, I've been there myself.

I have a recurring nightmare (sort of once every year or so) about the underground. I'm in one of those deep stations rushing to get a tube, take a few wrong turnings and get progressively more off the beaten track until I'm wandering down deserted tunnels and stations that begin to more resemble the Moria scenes from Lord of the Rings! <brrrrr>

I don't think I've ever found my way out in those dreams... :(

err but considering the topic of this thread I've heard a theory that ghosts are more like "recordings" and that the very fabric certain locations can simply record the data of events in a way that people can occasionally "pick up" and call a haunting.

'not sure I believe that one but it seems as plausible as any other theory!

-------------

Read "The Signalman" here: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/d/dickens ... plete.html

I just did, creepy!

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:33 pm

i hope that the spirits of the lost Deltics live on :lol:
Bobby Hill

Return to “Real World Railways”