the ghost of nimbus past

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
kennyGWSR

the ghost of nimbus past

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:14 pm

do you believe in ghosts? if you do i found this interseting infomation about deltic 55020 nimbus. it is said that at hadley wood south tunnel near the semi rural station of hadley wood in the north of london the ghost of the deltic has been seen in the tunnel. is it true? personally i wont believe in ghosts until one shock me by the hand or nugged me with its buffers!!! cheers

kenny

glegalee

Re: the ghost of nimbus past

Postby glegalee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:39 pm

I have to say that I and a few members of my family believe that I/they have seen "Ghosts" in the past, I believe that I saw the spirit of my old collie dog. I won't go into detail on the rest of my family but as I say I am a believer. Not sure that inanimate objects have spirits but you never know I could be wrong.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:58 pm

you never no. there are a few stories about ghost trains eg silent steam train at newport station area on ilse of wight. but there was loads of ghost trains in south wales not so long ago wasnt there?

kenny

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:06 pm

hmmmm similar in a way to the article in January's 'The railway magazine' entitled the banker.... involves the suiceide of a banker (as in the money kind :P) and a ghostly banker engine which caused the death of a driver. The crew felt the thump of the banker engine buffering up, heard its whistle however as they gained speed they could not get the banker to slow down - even with their engine in reverse gear and trying to comunicate frantically with the banker loco crew as they flew into the station. turned out that the crew of the banker had called in sick that night and there was no banker!

wether this is true or not is another story :P

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:15 pm

theres some weird things in this world. until i meet the ghosts i will keep wondering.

kenny

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:29 pm

You know how you are meant to run away from ghosts?? what if you don't. What will happen??
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:02 pm

no idea but alot of people have been around ghosts but they dont know about it. you see barry scrapeyard was a graveyard with the ghosts of the former proud engines. so really anyone envolved in rescuing and restoring the lucky ones have brought them back from the dead!!

kenny

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:23 pm

IIRC .....the story with Nimbus was that it was seen [near Crewe] some months after being scrapped .....this could easily be explained by it being some joker with a sense of humour painting Nimbus's numbers [and nameplate] onto a still serviceable Deltic ....I dunno the dates of the suposed sighting or the dates the last Deltics were finally "laid to rest" .... :|

T.
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 am

Heard this story a while ago but couldn't find much information :? I'm pretty open to the paranormal, since I don't think for a second we know everything there is to know about the world - although plenty of people are arrogant enough to think so.

Another story is about a class 37, mentioned on wikipedia;

Class 37 loco 37069 (formerly Thornaby TMD) is reported to be haunted. The supposed manifestation is that of a driver who was killed when an object smashed through the window hitting him on the head killing him instantly. This incident is reported to have occurred whilst under the pre-TOPS identity of D6769. Reported incidents include the horn going off unexpectedly, the fire bottles discharging of their own accord and an unexplained feeling of not being alone in the cab. An apparition of the driver has been reported in the driving position. The loco is in current operation under DRS.

Also famous is the Tay Bridge, for obvious regions, which is supposed to have been frequented by ghostly figures. I also heard that the loco which was involved in the collapse (presumably it was salvaged?) was due to haul a train over the new bridge on the anniversary of the accident - unsurprisingly no one wanted to drive her :lol:

Another superstition was the Intercity 225 involved in both the Hatfield and Selby rail crashes which escaped major damage on both occasions. The owners had it renumbered to dispell any supersitions among drivers.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 am

Don't believe in them myself, but if you want a classic example of how the Human imagination can run away with itself then read Dickens' "The Signalman" or watch BBC's superb adaptaion of it starring Denholm Elliot, its pretty scary even now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/fea ... lman.shtml

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 am

we did the signalman at school, it was a great way to scare the girls half to death lol! :D
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

poliss

Postby poliss » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

The Tay Bridge locomotive was indeed fished out of the Tay three months after the accident of 1879. Relatively undamaged, the Thomas Wheatley designed 4-4-0, ran until 1919. No driver would work her over the new Tay Bridge until the 20th anniversary of the accident.
Ref. Red For Danger by L.T.C. Rolt.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:20 pm

b308 wrote:Don't believe in them myself, but if you want a classic example of how the Human imagination can run away with itself then read Dickens' "The Signalman" or watch BBC's superb adaptaion of it starring Denholm Elliot, its pretty scary even now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/fea ... lman.shtml

oh I saw that. rather stupidly I watched it at around 3 o clock in the morning because I couldn't sleep that night so I got up and watched it.......D'oh

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:13 pm

With typically sardonic Scots humour, the salvaged Tay Bridge locomotive was ever afterwards nicknamed "The Diver."

I've never seen the dramatisation of The Signalman, but I have read it, and a fine, creepy story it is too. It's said to have been inspired in part by Dickens' involvement in the 1865 Staplehurst accident, which traumatised him and probably shortened his life.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 am

Don;t know about ghosts and this is slightly of topic i know but hey still supernatural.Anyway i watched a programme one night about the Highgate Vampire in London.Supousedly years ago there was a Vampire stalking london and he got destroyed and entombed.The story is however if you move this rock away from said tomb the vampire will rise again. :mrgreen:And for those who don,t believe just spend a night in Highgate Cemetery if you dare.
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Return to “Real World Railways”