dig up that furness!

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
kennyGWSR

dig up that furness!

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:24 pm

does anyone know that there is a rumour that a furness railway class d1 number 115 is said to be buried at lindal moor in cumbria after the track it was standing on collapsed! it was layed on an old iron ore mine. no wonder it collapsed under the weight of the 50 ton engine. they rescued the tender but the crane was on strong enough so they went back to barrow to get a bigger crane but the engine was gone! it is said to be 200ft further down the mine. that will make a good preservation challenge! if any has any more info then please get in touch. cheers

kenny

glegalee

Re: dig up that furness!

Postby glegalee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Been surfing the net and came up with the following.

Info Below
One of this class, No. 115, (original condition) was lost in the Lindal subsidence of 1892. Several proposals for recovering the engine were considered, but abandoned due to the great depth to which it had sunk, possibly 200 feet below track level. The tender broke away from the engine and did not fall into the hole, though it was derailed, and was recovered.

Cheers.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:58 pm

thanks for that! do you think the furness railway trust should have ago at a major recovery? that would be nice.

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 pm

Yeah I think that they should give it a bash, I mean what's the worst that could happen? They loose a crane down the same hole I suppose, It's got to be worth the risk!
ImageImageImage

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:42 pm

There was a similar incident in the Wigan area in the 1940s or 50s; tragically, the driver went with the engine.

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:58 pm

PTmodeller wrote:There was a similar incident in the Wigan area in the 1940s or 50s; tragically, the driver went with the engine.

Oops
ImageImageImage

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 pm

PTmodeller wrote:There was a similar incident in the Wigan area in the 1940s or 50s; tragically, the driver went with the engine.

do you know any other info??

I recon that someone should have a good bash at it.

There was something a little bit similar in (I think) Germany when a station had been demolished and the foundations were being dug, they found a steam locomotive buried, from what they thought the war.

well these people got a lucky escape

Image :lol:

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas or time.

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:22 pm

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:35 pm

RIP a brave man
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas or time.

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:22 am

There's a reputed to be a fowler 4p 2-6-4 tank loco buried somewhere below South Mimms services or so the the rummour goes, well I think it was South mimms, the loco was tarted up as a German loco for a POW film, and was derailed to simulate a cut axle done by a POW supposedly working under German guard in a railway workshop. The loco is reputed to have just been buried after filming and left to rot along with some period wagons, recovery of the scrap was deemed non cost effective at the time. The yard where the filming was done was later lifted and turned into South Mimms motorway services. Perhaps someone here can confirm.

Also on the Somerset levels there is reputed to be a loco that was derailed in fog on the S&D, it fell into a bog, the tender was recovered but the loco sank deep into the slough and was never seen again. All rummours, I don't know how correct they are though.
Last edited by son of triangman on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:00 pm

trainsandco wrote:well these people got a lucky escape

Image :lol:

Ben

I can remember when that happened(not that I was on that bus).It was along Earlham Road in Norwich.They discovered that the city has a whole network/honeycomb of tunnels underneath & there was a big worry that it could've happened again.
I gather this pic was also used by Cadbury's for a advert campaign to sell a certain chocolate bar:
"Nothing fills a hole like a Double Decker" :roll:

Deltic1981

Postby Deltic1981 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:20 am

Really cool i dident think there were Burried Locos. I only know of a couple of urban myths that Legendary Steam Locos are rumored to be stored ungerground in case of WW3. And when i was in high school there was a myth that a train and its coaches were sealed up in the tunnel that used to run through the Dundee Law hill.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:24 am

A Fowler 4P 2-6-4T would be a nice addition, anyone fancy digging up South Minns services?

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:53 pm

The tunnels in Norwich, are old mine workings from many a year ago..

When the roads/houses were built the mines were supposed to be capped off properly. however this bus found one that hadnt been.

Since this inicident I am led to belive that the mines were checked and some works were completed to ensure no such thing happened again.

The road that then held a bus used to have Tram lines such a shame it was all removed...

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:15 am

I remember it being in the EDP. Haven't been to norwich for yonks.

Return to “Real World Railways”