Your opinions on current DMU's

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
leopard

Re: Your opinions on current DMU's

Postby leopard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:54 pm

class 22x...

one million tiewraps in close formation

Postby 47806 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 pm

I will base my views on my experience:

Class 156: I like them, they look nice and they work well.
Class 158: I think that they look nice but I find them to be cramped and the engine vibration is very annoying.
Class 170: I love these, spacious, smooth and quiet.
Class 175: I was only able to stand in one once and I didn't mind it. The ride was smooth and quiet.

Compared to Canadian trains, mainly commuter stuff with vinyl seats, any modern DMU is a good ride!
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

Philip

Postby Philip » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:40 am

Thanks b308, for mentioning room in Voyagers. I am 6ft 6in tall so I need bulkhead seats on a 747 or I'm in real trouble on an 11 hour flight from Auckland to Los Angles and then two hours later a 10 hour flight LAX to Heathrow!
I did (as I mentioned) a trip from York to Newcastle and I must have chosen the right seat as I can't remember being cramped.
I also did Brockenhurst - Bournemouth and (late one night) Reading - Guildford on Voyagers, but as they are short trips it was not a problem.
Each time I got on a train in the UK I prowled around until I found a set with (a) legroom and (b) where possible a table so that I could write my notes.
Actually the Silver Fern railcars (new in 1972 from Japan) now have seats from the 1955 Drewery railcars (of which there were 35) as the original seats as fitted in Japan could not stand up to us Kiwis! So once again British engineering shows through!
I hope the new 172's might be running when I come over, so I can see the upgrade from a 170.
I think it was a 170 Hastings to Rye am I correct?

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:57 pm

philip wrote:I think it was a 170 Hastings to Rye am I correct?

Almost. :) They are actually class 171s.. Southern use both 2-car and 4-car class 171s. 2-cars are usually on the Hastings Ashfords and the 4-cars on the Oxted - Uckfield lines. It is possible to see 8 car 171 formations at East Croydon which can be a bit noisy on departure but no where near as noisy as the old "Thumpers" (205s and 207s) used to be
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Guess who got on a super voyager today.

I traveled with 3 others between Rhyl and Chester on 221105 William Baffin.

So, on we get and we get seats in coach B in seats 21-22-25-26, these where terrible, I was sitting in seat 22 and and I couldn't see out the window. Luckily when we stopped at Prestatyn the table seat opposite came empty so we sat there and had a great journey from there on.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Voyagers aren't great, I got one home earlier. Overcrowded- at 12:12, and the seats are badly arranged. Why are they used on the New Street- Edinburghs anyway?

headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:50 pm

I thought XC where going to double up voyagers on busier routes, and looking through the windows of voyagers at York there packed on the way to Edinburghs

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 pm

headshot119 wrote:I traveled with 3 others between Rhyl and Chester on 221105 William Baffin.
So, on we get and we get seats in coach B in seats 21-22-25-26, these where terrible, I was sitting in seat 22 and and I couldn't see out the window. Luckily when we stopped at Prestatyn the table seat opposite came empty so we sat there and had a great journey from there on.

If you are booking seats in advance, get yourself the Voyager seatplan
The plan also lets you know which seats have views, which don't, and the priority seats
Sadly, I've only made one journey in a 221 and that was by mistake as I missed the cheaper seats on the preceeding Pendolino, First Class as usual, but the tilt was off
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

mark1987

Postby mark1987 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:40 pm

PTmodeller wrote:Voyagers aren't great, I got one home earlier. Overcrowded- at 12:12, and the seats are badly arranged. Why are they used on the New Street- Edinburghs anyway?

Voyagers look great (hence the reason I own a model one!), but aren't good enough for CrossCountry services. They're better suited to shorter express routes, like those operated by First ScotRail.

I'm glad that HST's are now being used for the services through Dundee.
My N gauge layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14706

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 pm

PTmodeller wrote:Voyagers aren't great, I got one home earlier. Overcrowded- at 12:12, and the seats are badly arranged. Why are they used on the New Street- Edinburghs anyway?

If you mean Virgin ones then thats all they've got! And if you mean XC then once we get the refurbed HSTs in use then they will be doubled up on many services...

Re seating and windows, that applies to all new units these days because "airline" seating gives you more seats than seats/tables and was started in BR days...

headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm

b308 wrote:

If you mean Virgin ones then thats all they've got! And if you mean XC then once we get the refurbed HSTs in use then they will be doubled up on many services...

Re seating and windows, that applies to all new units these days because "airline" seating gives you more seats than seats/tables and was started in BR days...

I have to disagree with the bit I've highlighted in red the 175's and the 158's I've been on all have airline seats inline with the windows.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm sure I've sat next to a pillar on a 158, must have another look....

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Depends which 158...
Currently on the rails with my camera

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm

b308 wrote:I'm sure I've sat next to a pillar on a 158

Dunno about a pillar.. but I have sat next to plenty of pillocks on a train before :shock: :D

The idea of seats not lining up with windows on main line stock really started with the inter-city Mark 3 2nd open coach. Airline seating has been with us for many years though. Some classes of what are now called heritage DMU's have airline seating.. well they all face one way which is what I presume people mean by airline fashion, although on an old DMU the seats were more bus like but they very often didn't line up with a window. Certain seats on a class 101 don't have that greater view out of the window so it's nothing new.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

wobblybob

Postby wobblybob » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:20 am

Metadyneman wrote:
b308 wrote:I'm sure I've sat next to a pillar on a 158

Certain seats on a class 101 don't have that greater view out of the window so it's nothing new.

Agree that 'airline seating' and window pillars blocking views have been around a long time, and it was definitely BR that got the ball rolling. The problem of window pillars was much less apparent (and much less annoying!) on first generation DMUs because (a) the pillars were generally much more slender than today, (b) seats had lower backs, so you could see ahead as well as sideways.

As you say, the Mk3 second class developed the poor seat/window alignment trend for inter-city stock. For suburban stock it appears the Class 507s (and similar) developed the problem futher with 'no window' seats. Did anyone on the forum travel on the PEP prototypes? Just wonder what the seating/window layout was on those sets.

Return to “Real World Railways”