Paintpots and weeds

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
captrees

Paintpots and weeds

Postby captrees » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:59 pm

I find the concept of the abandoned train at Hellifield utterly fascinating. While I don't condone vandalism, nor enjoy random unartistic graffiti, it is the sort of thing that has a major 'wow' factor. I have never seen it, but I can imagine that if I didn't know it was there, and were to drive past it, I'd be screeching to a halt, with much smacking of the gob (whatever that means.)

All right, its not one of the seven wonders of the world. You need an army of stonemasons and copious camels to qualify that. But as a subject to model, yes please. You don't even need a working loco, or serviceable carriages. You can use up all the cannibalised detritus at the bottom of your drawers. And you don't even need to put power on the line or connect it to DCC. This is strictly Don't Come Monday.

I can see this alongside a mainline, a glorious flash of many colours, but engulfed in weeds and creepers. I like the idea of a scrap yard too, (a shameless nod to Charley Marston's, further down the line.)

There is one major drawback to trying to model this. My layout is strictly steam, and graffiti was barely invented in 1960. Ah well. It was just a thought.

glencairn

Re: Paintpots and weeds

Postby glencairn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:04 pm

Too modern for Charlie Marston's, captrees. :lol:

Good though. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

captrees

Postby captrees » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:08 pm

glencairn wrote:Too modern for Charlie Marston's, captrees. :lol:

Look, I knew that. He was an archeologist. He DUG those old steam locomotives up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Marston

One wonders if he got his hands dirty, or left it to others. I never saw him as the sort of bloke who wore a suit and a monocle at work, but it takes all sorts....

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:44 pm

Ah yes. That could be a picture of 'Charlie Marston's Uncle'. (I think :) Most probably wrong :oops: )
Entrepreneurs extraordinaire. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:01 pm

captrees wrote:...My layout is strictly steam, and graffiti was barely invented in 1960...

What wasn't available then was a vast choice of colours in cheaply obtained aerosol cans. A selective little journey back in time:
WWII 'Kilroy was here' typically in black paint, (but then most photography was monochrome) widely seen.
Thundridge old church tower 1905, photographic collection of Herts Archives and Library Service, some local vandal with white paint (probably, monochrome image).
Herculaneum and Pompeii, 79AD: mucho scribbling on the walls, which can still be seen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_graffiti

captrees

Postby captrees » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:48 am

Bigmet wrote:What wasn't available then was a vast choice of colours in cheaply obtained aerosol cans.

Yes, of course. That is what started it. The brilliant splash of vibrant colours. I've been researching graffiti, and there is nothing preceding aerosols that has any merit in railway modelling. Of course primitive cave paintings show that man has always had an urge to write on walls. And in East Westmorland we had no equivalents of the Berlin Wall.

In New York the one and only time I was there, I traveled from the airport at Flushing to Manhattan on the subway train. The train was clean and pristine, and I learnt later that it was an attempt to segregate tourists from the mainstream railway and associated culture. The train swiftly travelled non stop past many brilliantly painted carriages, and stations full of the homeless. It was quite an eye-opener. I'm sure that scenario has been the subject of a few layouts in that country.

Return to “Real World Railways”