The grills on Class 25 diesels

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Ken Shabby

The grills on Class 25 diesels

Postby Ken Shabby » Fri May 07, 2021 8:10 pm

rat.jpg

I'm currently attempting some minor detailing of this old Hornby Class 25. While searching images of Class 25 and 24 locos online, I noticed that on many locos the grill directly behind the cab has a metal plate fitted over it. Does anyone know what the reason is for this ?, and If an etched part is available ?.

Many thanks, Ken

stuartp

Re: The grills on Class 25 diesels

Postby stuartp » Sat May 08, 2021 12:53 pm

It was for frost protection on some of the ScR locos, possibly others. Not aware of an etched part but it's easy enough to do by cutting some slots in a bit of 10th plasticard.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat May 08, 2021 2:18 pm

stuartp wrote:It was for frost protection on some of the ScR locos, possibly others. Not aware of an etched part but it's easy enough to do by cutting some slots in a bit of 10th plasticard.

Not all of them had slots in, making it even easier, depending on the individual loco selected for the model.

Best advice: work from photos if at all possible.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat May 08, 2021 5:06 pm

I was trying to find out. There is mention of the air intake being moved on later examples as where the intake was was prone to picking up leaf and other debris into the air filter.
Also, some early examples had steam heating boilers...
And another difference that I could find was that when the class was origionally built as what we now call the class 24, they were found that they could do with more power, so an intercooler system was installed which gave them a power increase and this additional power increase then gave birth to what we now know to be the class 25.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun May 09, 2021 3:50 pm

From derbysulzers.com:

"Post-production changes occurred during the life of the locomotives, the most significant being that over time the boiler room grilles were covered by a solid blanking plate. This was an almost universal modification to both boilered and non-boilered locomotives.

A regional modification of the solid blanking plate occurred to those Class 24s working over the Highland line and Far North lines. The Inverness allocated Class 24s frequently encountered climate conditions that caused freezing conditions within the boiler compartment. To reduce the entry of cold air the standard solid blanking plate was initially fitted over the grilles. However for some of the locomotives this was later modified with the insertion of four or five slats to permit some air circulation."
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Sun May 09, 2021 7:44 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied , I have been searching for images of 25s in BR blue and there does seem to be a fair few detail differences.
I decided to attempt making my own frost grills. I used plastic salvaged from the lid of a margarine tub. Annoyingly they look better in real life than they do in the photo , and there is still a little tidying up to do.

Ken

ratfrostgrill.jpg

Return to “Real World Railways”