How were semaphore signal posts fixed?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
abenn

How were semaphore signal posts fixed?

Postby abenn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 pm

In the days of semaphore signals -- specifically GWR -- how were the post fixed into the ground. Was there a visible concrete foundation block with holding-down bolts, as per modern practice, or were they just planted into a hole in the ground?

Mountain

Re: How were semaphore signal posts fixed?

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Locally we have lower quadrant GWR (Or B.R. Western Region replacement) signals on the mainline and they seem to be fixed by a bracket into a concrete base if I remember correctly. I will look if I am out and about and close enough on my travels.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Mountain wrote:Locally we have lower quadrant GWR (Or B.R. Western Region replacement) signals on the mainline and they seem to be fixed by a bracket into a concrete base if I remember correctly. I will look if I am out and about and close enough on my travels.

That is certainly how it is done in modern times (I've watched one being "planted" on the GWSR) but it doesn't answer the OP regarding how it was done 100 years ago; I must admit I'd never considered it but now I'm curious too!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

abenn

Postby abenn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks for the replies. The real reason for my question (which I perhaps should have clarified in my OP) is to know whether or not I need to show the top of a concrete base, or simply ballast right up to and around the post. It's not clear in any of the photos I've been able to find on the internet, perhaps because in practice, even if there is a concrete base, it soon gets covered over when ballast is relaid.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm

I believe there is some sort of heavy metal casting at the base of the signals and the casting is then bolted onto the concrete base? Usually when one buys model signals the casting is modelled but not the concrete base itself.

abenn

Postby abenn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Modern signals are certainly installed the way you describe Mountain, with the concrete bases sometimes a significant height above the ballast.

At the moment I'm starting with a couple of Ratio GWR lower quadrant semaphore signals, and they come with a large circular base which I don't think replicates anything that exists in the real world. Correct me if I'm wrong there. They do model what I think is the heavy metal casting at the bottom of the post -- the bit painted black in their picture https://www.hattons.co.uk/10799/Ratio_260_Single_post_signal_home_or_distant_lower_quandrant_plastic_kit/StockDetail.aspx -- so I suspect I need to paint the circular base concrete colour (rather than black as shown in the Ratio picture) and then let ballast spill over it leaving only a little bit of 'concrete' showing at the foot of the post.

Return to “Real World Railways”