Some general semaphore signal questions

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
abenn

Some general semaphore signal questions

Postby abenn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 pm

I have an N-gauge layout, loosely based on GWR, which I now want to add semaphore signals to.

At a couple of locations I have twin lines, fast and slow, merging into a single line. Would the fast and slow lines each have a single post, one in the six-foot between the lines, the other in the cess; or would there be some kind of bracket signal, or gantry, to carry the two signals?

If the fast and slow lines each have a distant and home signal, and the next signal along the merged single line is "off", can both their distant signals be "off" even though one of the home ones will be "on"? Or can the distant signal only be "off" if the corresponding home signal is "off"?

luckymucklebackit

Re: Some general semaphore signal questions

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 pm

abenn wrote:I have an N-gauge layout, loosely based on GWR, which I now want to add semaphore signals to.

At a couple of locations I have twin lines, fast and slow, merging into a single line. Would the fast and slow lines each have a single post, one in the six-foot between the lines, the other in the cess; or would there be some kind of bracket signal, or gantry, to carry the two signals?

If the fast and slow lines each have a distant and home signal, and the next signal along the merged single line is "off", can both their distant signals be "off" even though one of the home ones will be "on"? Or can the distant signal only be "off" if the corresponding home signal is "off"?

Would the fast and slow lines each have a single post, one in the six-foot between the lines, the other in the cess; or would there be some kind of bracket signal, or gantry, to carry the two signals, All three are possible, the most common being the two single posts. Check out the signalbox diagrams on https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php Some running loops would have a ringed signal example here https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=794
If the fast and slow lines each have a distant and home signal, and the next signal along the merged single line is "off", can both their distant signals be "off" even though one of the home ones will be "on"? Absolutely never, the distant signal was slotted so that it only came off when the corresponding home was on.

Hope this helps

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

abenn

Postby abenn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Thank you Jim, single posts it will be, since they're also the simplest to build.

In your reply to my second question about the possibility of distant signals being off while the home signal is on, you say 'Absolutely never, the distant signal was slotted so that it only came off when the corresponding home was on.' Don't you mean the distant only came off when the corresponding home was off?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Sorry :oops: typo, you are correct, that should mean off!!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Real World Railways”