Metre-Gauge Railways in Provence - the Nice to Digne Line

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
rogerfarnworth

Re: Metre-Gauge Railways in Provence - the Nice to Digne Line

Postby rogerfarnworth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 pm

The next stage of our journey takes us out of the catchment of the River Var and into the Valley of the River Verdon. ....

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/20 ... rovence-73

The centre piece of this section of the line is the 3.5 kilometre long tunnel which links the valleys of the Verdon and the Vaire together - the Tunnel de la Colle Saint Michel.

The railway line between Meailles and Thorame-Haute was on the last stretch of the line from Nice to Digne to be built. The length involved was that between Saint-André-de-Méouilles and Puget-Théniers.

Work began in January 1900 on the final 27km of the line. The tunnel boring took a number of years to complete. Steady progress was made on the tunnel. The project had a significant setback when, in April 1909 part of the land mass above the proposed location of the station at Thorame-Haute collapsed onto the site of the station engulfing the part built buildings and platforms. Stabilisation of the mountain required the construction of a 114 metre long, 33 metre high retaining wall. The wall was 1.5 metres thick and reinforced by 7 buttresses. [22]

The station was opened to travellers on 3rd July 1911 [23] with the inauguration of the full line taking place on 6th August 1911. The station at Thorame-Haute quickly became a significant tourist destination providing access to some high quality hotels in the upper reaches of the Verdon valley. A wealthy clientele travelled from the Côte d'Azur to access such hotels as the Alp'hôtel de Beauvezer, and the Fontgaillarde in Thorame-Haute.

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Its been highlighted to me that in my last post in this series I did not provide details of Thorame-Haute Viaduct. In that post, I provided rail-level images and then rushed on to the site of Thorame-Haute Station. This short blog is an attempt to rectify that mistake! I guess you could also see it as a bonus for patiently bearing with me as I meander along the line between Nice and Digne-les-Bains!

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/20 ... rovence-74

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:57 pm

This next post focusses first on the Station and buildings close to it at Thorame-Haute. It highlights a local festival and the importance of the chapel adjacent to the railway station.

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/20 ... rovence-75

The blog then takes us on from Thorame-Haute to Saint Andre les Alpes.

In a number of these posts I have been picking up some images from 'www.railsim-fr.com' as there is now a rail simulator version of the Nice to Digne line.

Return to “Real World Railways”