LNER is back

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
luckymucklebackit

LNER is back

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44142258

The East Coast main line is back in Public ownership, with LNER as the branding. So that is LNER, GWR and Southern, LMS next?

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Re: LNER is back

Postby glencairn » Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Locomotives in Apple Green perhaps? :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

21C1

Postby 21C1 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Teak painted coaches as well

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm

We already have GWR. I didnt know we had Southern.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Mountain wrote:We already have GWR. I didnt know we had Southern.

We also have a London and North Western apparently (just without the "and")

This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

b308

Postby b308 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Inevitable in view of their overbid for the franchise, they should be fined, not bailed out.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Try to fine them they'd point out the bits of the contract NR have failed to deliver/,complete on time and the arguments would go on indefinitely. The bidding process was like the West Coast one chaotic and unfit for purpose. Privatisation has been a total failure in terms of its purpose ( to save the country lots of money) whilst a fantastic success for the railways themselves, new trains, new stations, new customers and massive new unintended subsidies.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

MickleoverTestTrack

Postby MickleoverTestTrack » Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Passenger numbers have risen dramatically since privatisation, this is not in doubt. What I want to know is how the proponents of privatisation can be so sure that privatisation was the cause of this. Surely in a world where more people are on the move than ever before by every form of transport and there is more concern over environmental impact, it is impossible to definitively say what the cause of the effect is?

The reason the 91 fleet was as small as it is was that the OHLE supply north of Doncaster isn't capable of delivering the power for a full electric service, BR funded the electrification of the ECML themselves with nowhere near the investment it really should have had. As far as I can make out, politicians and civil servants brought about the Hitachi fleet but haven't given Network Rail the funds to upgrade the ECML electrics to supply the power for them. The likelihood from here is the Hitachi fleet will come in with many services running on diesel north of Doncaster making them slower and less efficient than the old fleet.

The whole thing is becoming more of a monumental mess the more politicians and civil servants interfere.

burnie

Postby burnie » Thu May 17, 2018 9:25 am

I am unsure whether this is a good thing or not, this government are currently running the NHS into the ground by under investing in it, will the ECML suffer the same?

b308

Postby b308 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:01 am

Bufferstop wrote:Try to fine them they'd point out the bits of the contract NR have failed to deliver

As far as I was aware NR haven't been doing much on the ECML, they've been fouling up elsewhere! So just for once the blame can lay firmly at the doors of Virgin and Stagecoach for overbidding...

b308

Postby b308 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:02 am

burnie wrote:I am unsure whether this is a good thing or not, this government are currently running the NHS into the ground by under investing in it, will the ECML suffer the same?

Just like they did in BR days under every Gov since 1948... Also they did the same with no investment when they last took over ECML...

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am

b308 wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:Try to fine them they'd point out the bits of the contract NR have failed to deliver

As far as I was aware NR haven't been doing much on the ECML, they've been fouling up elsewhere! So just for once the blame can lay firmly at the doors of Virgin and Stagecoach for overbidding...

Power supply upgrades, grade separated junction at Werrington, station layout changes at York and Doncaster, four-tracking at Huntigdon etc allowing greater service frequency on the core route and additional destinations off it so about two dozen more trains a day and increased revenue growth.

But see here: https://www.parliament.uk/documents/com ... 1-2018.pdf

... especially this bit :

"At the point the East Coast Franchise was bid for and awarded, the East Coast Connectivity Fund was at an early stage of development and funding for delivery had not been committed to individual projects. Furthermore the ECCF had no specifically defined outputs in terms of of quantum of increased capacity... Network Rail was not asked to endorse the final assumptios used by the successful East Coast bidders at the contract award stage. "

So in other words the DfT has let the franchise based on a set of assumptions made about an (at the time) unfunded and unscoped set of unspecified improvements. And then blamed everybody else.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Return to “Real World Railways”