Diesel Flying Scotsman

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
BobDM

Diesel Flying Scotsman

Postby BobDM » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:24 pm

Many years ago [too many] when I was a child I travelled from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverly on the Flying Scotsman. At that time [1967-1968] it was pulled by a diesel not a steam engine.

Does anybody know what diesels were used on that service at that time? It would be rather nice to add one to my rolling stock as it was my first time travelling alone on a railway and the BR staff were fantastic. The guard was asked to look after me and he put me in First Class so he could keep an eye on me, as well as sorting out the ticket collector.

Jim S-W

Re: Diesel Flying Scotsman

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Very likely it was hauled by a deltic, see http://www.davidheyscollection.com/user ... durham.jpg

BobDM

Postby BobDM » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:00 pm

Many thanks for the information and the picture. That certainly looks like the beast I saw at Waverley. I take it is a Deltic and not a Baby Deltic. I don't know much about diesels.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 pm

To confirm with Jim S-W the service was hauled by a Class 55 Deltic.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:11 am

Baby Deltics worked local trains in and around Kings Cross and sometimes out towards Cambridge. I dont think they were ever let loose on class one passenger workings mainly due to their low power output of 1100hp. Expresses in the late 60s on the ECML were almost exclusively in the hands of the big Deltics.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:12 am

D605Eagle wrote:Baby Deltics worked local trains in and around Kings Cross and sometimes out towards Cambridge. I dont think they were ever let loose on class one passenger workings mainly due to their low power output of 1100hp. Expresses in the late 60s on the ECML were almost exclusively in the hands of the big Deltics.

As well as 40s 46s and 47. there were only 22 Deltics

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 am

trainlover23 wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:Baby Deltics worked local trains in and around Kings Cross and sometimes out towards Cambridge. I dont think they were ever let loose on class one passenger workings mainly due to their low power output of 1100hp. Expresses in the late 60s on the ECML were almost exclusively in the hands of the big Deltics.

As well as 40s 46s and 47. there were only 22 Deltics

A quick check of the working timetable showed that the principle "named" expresses between Edinburgh and London were diagrammed for 3300hp haulage, some of the intermediate jobs (e.g the 1pm ex Kings X) were diagrammed for a 47, by 1967 the 40s and Peaks were restricted to slower timed trains.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:11 pm

The ECML ran frequent trains to several destinations - as has been said, there were only 22 Deltics, so a fleet probably twice or even thrice that number again of lesser diesels were employed daily on the other Class 1 work. Not all Leeds or Newcastle trains would be afforded a Deltic and until the late '70s, Hull and Cleethorpes turns would very rarely see them

BobDM

Postby BobDM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks for all the information. It seems I will be safe getting a Class 55 Deltic then.

It seems Hornby have one in the right colour scheme coming out this month. Well they say they have, which doesn't seem to be the same thing as actually providing any for sale.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 pm

The Hornby one is ex Lima and very much dimensionally wrong. Bachmann is much better

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 am

The Hornby one is pants. :lol:

BobDM

Postby BobDM » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:25 pm

The Hornby one is ex Lima and very much dimensionally wrong. Bachmann is much better

Why doesn't this surprise me?

I know it's off the subject but when I bought my first railway magazine for two years in November it was the Hornby one. Great feature on the wonderful new Collector's Club launching on the 1st November. Checked the web page which appeared to be out of date so I rang the number. After several attempts I finally got through to be told it would be launched in 2018. Two years ago I wanted to buy '**** of the North' which was due out before Christmas - only of course it wasn't available. I can understand problems with making and importing models but what is so difficult about revamping a club you already run :evil:

Oops I notice that the first part of the name has been censored - they should have called it Male Bird of the North but that doesn't have quite the same ring!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 am

Cockup of the North is its name :lol: :lol:

Return to “Real World Railways”