I've finally lost the plot

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
Terrier

I've finally lost the plot

Post by Terrier »

Hello, and well, this is my first ever post here in the bigger gauges area! I've been playing with an idea in my mind of a 7mm O Gauge layout, finally pushed over the edge by a decent chap i was conversing with here earlier today who is doing something similar, ie. going BIG! :shock: :shock:

Now please excuse my laziness at not really having made much more than a half-hearted attempt to find out some info i need on my own, but can anyone fill me in with some dimensions for O gauge track? Is there a kind of set track available and what are the rough/smallest radius, or flexitrack? and being aware that all track can be built from kits of some description or another? Is there a recommended producer of 7mm/O Gauge track etc. The plan in my head, that will possibly inhabit my shed, is very simple, no more than 2 or three simple points for sidings, but i will be able to envisage a plan better once i am educated on the potential radius of track i can implement.

So, very grateful for any and all advice and details in reply to my enquiries there.

Many thanks

Chris P
Kentishman

Re: I've finally lost the plot

Post by Kentishman »

Morning Chris,
Are you planning on enlarging your shed and have you won the lottery? The following basic dimensions are from Cyril Freezer’s ‘The Model Railway Design Manual’:
Tight curve – no figure given
Small curve – 1250 mm
Medium curve – 1750 mm
Large curve – 2000 mm
Per Peco’s ‘Your Guide to Model Railway Modelling & Layout construction’ the following radii are given as equivalents:
0 Gauge OO Gauge
36” (914 mm) 18” (457 mm)
48” (1220 mm) 21” (533 mm)
54” (1371 mm) 24” (610 mm)
72” (1829 mm) 36” (914 mm)
It’s interesting that for the smallest and largest radii, the O gauge is double the OO measurement, but for the middle dimensions, O is quoted as double + 6 inches. I wonder why?
Peco’s ‘Guide …’ also gives suggested minimum planning dimensions:
Point length (medium) 16” 406 mm
Crossover (long) 34” 864 mm
Min. track centres 3.125” 79 mm
Min. platform width 4.75” 120 mm
Min. o/hd clearance 6” 152 mm
Coach (64’) 18” 457 mm
Wagon (10’ wb) 6.25” 158 mm

Peco make a range of set track for O gauge:
http://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?str ... Position=1
The Peco web site also has full size templates available for points etc. For track, you might also consider C&L Finescale http://www.finescale.org.uk/ and Marcway http://www.marcway.net/ There may well be others.
O gauge layouts can be compact, have a look at ‘the Tar Works’ which at only 6’ x 2’ is a real gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jabb_5zFrnk
whynot

Post by whynot »

FWIW, some inspiring 0 micro stuff here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... o-layouts/

I researched SMALL 0 quite extensively and concluded that at less than say 8'-10' overall length some form of sector plate arrangement is essential if it is to be more than a diorama.

Good luck - I'd love to go 0!
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Bless you guys, all info much appreciated, my shed is 8' by 7' and with this info I think I can squeeze in a loop and a run off (it'll make more sense when I post up a plan I was working on yesterday) it's going to be something between a layout and a diorama, and once again, very grateful for the info and dimensions gentlemen.

Chris P
brianthesnail96

Post by brianthesnail96 »

Sorry Chris :lol: what have I done... :mrgreen:

Just realised I got half way through replying to your last message, got dragged away and never finished/ sent it. Wasn't intentionally ignoring you, honest!

Have a picture of Sunday's entertainment to make up for it...

Not my toys I hasten to add, just lucky to be allowed to play with them.
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

I have been trying to visualise the attraction of O Gauge in an 8 x 7 shed. The sheer bulk of the locos means they will be very visible, which I can understand. Being an N Gauge fan I have found that I have immediately converted the space to equivalent N Gauge dimensions and this is equivalent to a box 24 ins x 21 ins which would indeed be a micro layout which would just permit a U shaped 10.5 in 2nd radius track (because you have to get in your box) with a run of about 50 ins with a train just 10 ins long - plus a head shunt perhaps. This is indeed a micro layout albeit it with locos with 16x the bulk of my own.

I saw an O Gauge diorama where the loco just rocked backwards and forwards so people do attempt such feats but it is hard to get away with the thought that you might be better served with a linear run of about 30 ft which suggests a loft or a tandem double garage.

Plus - how many £500 locos do you intend to store outside - or will you just have one or two and keep them indoors.

The locos are undeniably appealing but the concept would be just a bit too brave for me.

A track plan or maybe a three dimensional sketch would be interesting to see though.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

...I've scrapped the idea, i did draw up a small plan, a loop with a line off is possible and would have been small locos and four wheel stock... but yep, the spell has been lifted, i'm carrying on with OO. :)

Chris P
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Terrier wrote:...I've scrapped the idea, i did draw up a small plan, a loop with a line off is possible and would have been small locos and four wheel stock... but yep, the spell has been lifted, i'm carrying on with OO. :)

Chris P
Probably for the best - but join an O Gauge group with their own premises ?
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

In a moment of madness, I too had some thoughts about O gauge. Dapol are supposed to be bringing out an O gauge Terrier some time. I worked out that there wasn't probably going to be enough space in my railway room for a compact branch line terminus and fiddle yard. There doesn't seem to be any sign of suitable ready-to-run coaches for an SR or earlier version. I am sure that professionally built and painted kits are worth every penny; it is just that they are way outside what I can afford. I am only just nudging my way into building simple, 00 kits, and am very far from being able to do justice to an O gauge kit.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Richard Lee wrote:In a moment of madness, I too had some thoughts about O gauge. Dapol are supposed to be bringing out an O gauge Terrier some time. I worked out that there wasn't probably going to be enough space in my railway room for a compact branch line terminus and fiddle yard. There doesn't seem to be any sign of suitable ready-to-run coaches for an SR or earlier version. I am sure that professionally built and painted kits are worth every penny; it is just that they are way outside what I can afford. I am only just nudging my way into building simple, 00 kits, and am very far from being able to do justice to an O gauge kit.
It was that very same announcement that tipped me over the edge for a moment... a mate said the other day... well, maybe one on the mantle piece? ....temptation be damned!! :oops: :D :D

Cheers chaps

Chris P
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Ooooooops! :shock:

Welcoming to the shed.. "Nellie" ..a 7mm/1ft brass C14 0-4-0! I placed a bid on the bay of E during my few days of madness, and well, lets just say, i was hoping some one.. anyone, would outbid me, but as it goes, i honoured the purchase and got nattering briefly to the guy selling it and well, there's a future garden layout being discussed within the catacombs of my brain. :D

Chris P
whynot

Post by whynot »

I looked more than once at "Nellie" ..a 7mm/1ft brass C14 0-4-0!..." - ain't it pretty! :mrgreen:
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

:D too cute by half, i was considering a repaint... perhaps ........ coal sector? .......hmmm.... :D :D

Chris P
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Chris,
if pondering a larger scale in the available space then obviously branchline working is more suited. The thing with "O" is that each purchase is usually pondered with great care and consideration and the spur of the moment "OO" purchases that are never used are not undertaken. Perhaps one or two Ixion locomotives and a few pieces of Dapol 'O' gauge rolling stock is all that is required. Alternatively, to still attain the visual impact maybe consider "On2.5" narrow gauge running 'OO' 16.5mm track. This is a more economical foray into "O" scale.

As has been stated before, a mainline "O" scale working requires a very big win on the horses or a very ameniable bank manager.

Tim
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Terrier wrote:...I've scrapped the idea,

Chris P
....Cheers Tim :D

Chris P