Restoring a live steam Bowman 234 locomotive.

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
PeterH

Restoring a live steam Bowman 234 locomotive.

Post by PeterH »

How do all,

This little locomotive was offered to a friend who rejected it. The little loco would have found its way into the bin if I hadn't rescued it. I've had it running once or twice on a bench but not on any track.

I fancied doing something outside today but the rain somewhat dampened things. I then remembered my little engine; what with my renewed interest in engineering I thought it would be a fun little project to undertake.

Whilst working on it I did a bit of browsing on ebay for ideas and possible spare parts. There I found my little engine's identity - it is a Bowman 234, and is actually worth a bit of money. They date from 1928 to 1936.

Here is rather an useful website about the models.
http://www.freewebs.com/odilon/styled/

And a video of one working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QAzs3G-e0Q

Here are a few photos of it (sorry for the bad quality pictures).

As you can see it is in a bit of a state. My first priority has been to completely strip it down which I have been doing this afternoon. I am considering what to do with it when I am ready to rebuild. Restore it to original condition, heavily modify it or lightly modify it? I think that light modification is the best course to go - alot of the parts are missing and will be extremely hard (and expensive) to get hold of replacement parts. I have read that getting hold of a tender for them is really rather difficult!

I don't think the piston rod is original - it seems very similar to a Mamod one. The Bowman ones are either flat or fluted.

Watch for updates as they happen!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
PeterH

Re: Restoring a live steam Bowman 234 locomotive.

Post by PeterH »

I have found a few places where I can get some replacement parts.

http://www.toytrainspares.net/TOY_TRAINS_BOWMAN_.html

http://www.mamodparts.com/spares-Bowman_Parts.asp

I will need new buffers as mine is missing them and possibly a set of new piston rods. The ones I have are fine but don't suit it well compared to the fluted ones available. I do really fancy fitting coupling rods as well, whether or not this can be done remains to be seen. I will have to get another wheelset with a crankpin in order to do this.

The tender does seem to be the biggest hurdle to overcome; I have asked the chap I got it off if he has it at all (hopefully he has!). If not I'll either have to keep a look out for another one (expensive option) or convert a Hornby et al. to fit it.

A chimney is also required, where to find one of these I don't know!

I'm not sure whether or not to replace the steam pipes. They don't necessarily need doing but it would be quite nice to do so.

Livery will be decided at a later date. On the others I've seen online LMS Crimson Lake does suit it quite nicely. Something to think about.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Now that's dedication to a cause.................

Is scratch-building the tender out of brass sheet an option ?

Keep posting on progress.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

It would be possible to build the tender from brass sheet. Depending on how things pan out that may be the best route to take. We shall see!

Having looked about a bit there is a company that make 'chuffers' called Summerland. The chuffer amplifies the exhaust sound and look moderately easy to fit, it might be a nice little addition to it.

http://www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk/#/ ... 4540942257

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJPH4Cu8zCk
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Forgive the intrusion - I thought others might like to see photos of a more-complete 234 however. The link goes to an eBay site with four or five photos of this interesting toy[if you follow it through]. I think I'm correct in saying that it is coarse 'O' gauge.

4472 has never been a favorite of mine, but what indignities she has had to suffer throughout her long life.......!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1029,d.d2k

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
whynot

Post by whynot »

What a fascinating challenge! The stationary engines in the links look wonderful bits of kit.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Howdy do all,

Much scrubbing has revealed the original livery! It appears to have been painted in LNER lined green (probably as 4472 as above). It has been through two repaints so far in its life, first repainted into red and latterly into blue.

I have now decided to put her back into her original livery, so once I've taken all the paint off that'll be what it will go into. A matter of finding some suitable heat-resistant paint!

I'll be replacing the pipe-work as well. I may try to break into the boiler as there is a rattle from something loose inside; I've also lost one of the handrail knobs which is annoying.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Did a bit more work tonight including further paint stripping of components. I have also started a bit of work on the burner, I removed all of the old wicks, the far two were blocked so they will have to be redone (one already taken off). There is also a hole in the tank which will need patching up.

With six wicks the loco makes a fair bit of steam!
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Lovely project. Realy waiting to see how this turns out. As for heat resisting paint, you can ask for brake paint at a car shop but no idea how close that will be to what you need. Otherwise paint for stoves. On the other hand, those locs probably run on 2-3 bar at most so any paint if well applied and baked will do.
Expert in non-working solutions