Slipping wheels.

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
steveford666

Slipping wheels.

Postby steveford666 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:31 pm

My back garden slopes badly. I have a Bachmann big haulier loco that slips to a stand. is there any way I can get it to grip. The power pick up is on the front pony wheels. Perhaps of i hadd more weight to the loco. Otherwise it means getting all the track up and building trestles to level the track out.

Pedanticmongrel

Re: Slipping wheels.

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:22 pm

try adding some lead to the loco but only over the driving wheels.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

steveford666

Postby steveford666 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:22 pm

I looked at adding weight. But I can't see how to get any inside the boiler. it will go around on it's own but add a coach and it might as well be on ice. Not to be outdone, I decided that the only way forward now is to level the whole thing off.

So I broke up the concrete trackbed at the top and started to dig a trough a foot wide and it the gardens highest point, three feet deep. At the bottom and of the garden it will be raised onto a trestle a foot high so it averages out the height at the middle. Oh well, it will give e food for thought and things to do.

Anybody got a working g gauge theodolite I can borrow? :lol:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Switch to modelling cliff railways. They are certainly the only tracks I could lay in my garden. :)
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

steveford666

Postby steveford666 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Otherwise rack and pinion or a cable car sytem..... Or come to that, an LUL underground system. Just put the stations outside and no need to worry about track and trains. :lol:

Return to “Large Gauge Model Railway - including 1, O, and S”