Southern O Gauge Loco's - information required please

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
ollieollieollie

Southern O Gauge Loco's - information required please

Postby ollieollieollie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:25 am

Hello all.

Now I'm not one to try & make others jealous but I have just been given a complete dismantled O gauge layout by a relative. It includes about 100' of track, 3 points, 9 loco's and 19 wagons!

I would like to find out a bit about the loco's - I'm not a big steam fan so cannot identify the loco's, though I believe there are a couple of Terriers & an Adams Radial Tank loco. They are all kit built -any ideas who made the kits? Some have RR writen on the inside of the chasis & a couple have Ray Rogers - I guess he built them - again any clues as to who he may be. They seem to be very well built so I imagine he must be known in railway circles. They were all built 1999-2000. The The DB loco is Rivarrossi but again I can find no details on it anywhere - will probably sell this one on at some point.

I am slowly cleaning & oiling them up & they run well though they could do with a good blast somewhere ( anyone near Swaffham got a layout they can have a go on?!)

Wagons are a bit of a mixture. Some are Parkside Dundas. The rest are whitemetal kits & plastic kits I can't identify.

Photo's below.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ollie

tom92240

Re: Southern O Gauge Loco's - information required please

Postby tom92240 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02 pm

First up is an LBSC E1/R class probably an MSC kit or an old Home of 0 gauge one.
Next an LSWR O2 tank maybe an Alan Gibson kit or Shedmaster.
Next: Adams Radial, Martin Finney or also Shedmaster.
SER Crane Tank by no idea!
Terrier by Zero Zephyrs or Roxey Mouldings
2 SECR P Classes, not sure their either!

unsure of the other 2!

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks for that. At least I have some idea of their heritage now!

Ollie

Kubes

Postby Kubes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:20 am

Ray Rogers used to own the Loco Shop (or Loco Shed, I can't remember) in Kenley, Surrey and produced a number of 0 gauge kits under that name in white metal for Southern prototypes. These are now in Roxey's Omega range. Rays's range included Terriers, the SECR P class, SER crane tank, the LSWR O2 and Adams Radial. While not as sophisticated as some kits, they built well and were ideal for beginners. His O2 kit however was short in the cab and was marketed with that caveat - check your O2 against photos or a drawing to see if this is the case with yours as if it is, it will lhave been built from one of Ray's kits. My first ever build was one of his LBSC I3 4-4-2 tanks and I was very pleased with it. If your loco's are whitemetal they are probably built by him from his kits. He built a K class and a couple of C2X's for me from Ace Kits and did a very good job of them - which given their reputation is a measure of his abilities. They are marked underneath with his name and this leads me to believe that your locos were also built by him to commission. He was a very nice man. I lost touch with him a few years back after he retired but I sadly believe he is no longer with us. Enjoy your models!

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:24 pm

ollieollieollie wrote:

Rivarossi DB BR80- may have been a kit: I had a friend who built an Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0 form a Rivarossi kit back in the 1980's and used it on his 10' long shunting layout!

I found some info on the Rivarossi kit http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=4944

Some info on the Rivarossi O gauge range http://www.metropolitrain.com/o-rivarossi.html

That collection very nice gift especially to someone who cares enough to seek information on them and wants to see them running.

Gauge O Guild has a couple of groups local to you with access to layouts and it may be worth considering joining if you are going to persue the Senior Scale and build a layout :wink:
Regards
Christopher D.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Very nice collection you lucky devil. Really like the radial. Im very interested in the black shunter at the bottom. If its a southern beastie its not one ive seen before... I like it :)

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:41 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:...... Im very interested in the black shunter at the bottom. If its a southern beastie its not one ive seen before... I like it :)

I think that it is a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 DM of a type supplied to the LMS although I think similar ones went to private industrial users too.
Not sure of the kit manufacturer but it may be Mercian Models as they have both types in their range at the moment.
Regards
Christopher D.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Can I ask how long the radial is from buffer to buffer?

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks to all who have posted on the Loco's.

Chief - the radial is 282mm buffer to buffer (thats length not width!)

ceejaydee - I've done a little digging & yes i believe it is a Hudswell Clarke too. I've cleaned it up & oiled it & it is a cracking runner! Re the Rivarrossi DB loco - it looks too, erm, factory put together to be a kit to my eye, although to be honest the radial & couple of the others look that well made too. The Db loco was cleaned last week & again is another brilliant runner. Thanks for the links - I'll have a good look when I get 10 mins! What do you mean the senior scale? Am I too young at 37?!!

Kubes - Thanks for the info. The collection came from Coulsden in Surrey so very close to Kenley. Thanks I am/will enjoy my models! I've built a couple of Parkside Dundas wagon kits & seem to be getting the bug! Always wanted a garden layout but wasn't keen on putting the OO outside. No excuse now!

Thanks again to you all.

Regards.

Ollie

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

ollieollieollie wrote: What do you mean the senior scale? Am I too young at 37?!!

:lol:

Not at all; Gauge O was always traditionally known as 'The Senior Scale' whilst Gauge 1 was 'The Premier Gauge'
Regards
Christopher D.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks for that

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:12 pm

The senior scale eh? I model in O and I'm 23! That could explain why Randolph Sancheng was so shocked last year when i ordered one of his locos at guildex!

Nice collection of locos by the way, how are they driven? do they have proper gearboxes or worm drives? if they are worm driven and are considering using them I'd recommend changing to gearboxes from my primative experience.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:35 am

Hi.

Sorry - been a wee bit busy.

All are worm driven. Are gearboxes easy to fit or do they require any mods?

Ollie

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:52 pm

very easy to fit depending on the connecting rods and which axle the motor is connected to.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Return to “Large Gauge Model Railway - including 1, O, and S”