O Gauge Radii

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
m0h

O Gauge Radii

Postby m0h » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi, first post here and all that.

Recently my father passed away and i inherited all of his O Gauge collection, I am intending to build a point to point, Terminus to Fiddle Yard layout in a U Shape in the large shed at the bottom of my garden, however, i am wondering if the turnback radius would be too small.

Along the longest length of wall at the end of the shed i can reasonably get a curve radius of 5'6" would this be too small for say a B1 or a Footballer, as these would be the largest locomotives i would probably end up owning.

Some advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

- Lewis

Havoc

Re: O Gauge Radii

Postby Havoc » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:31 pm

The rule of thumb says you need about 20 times the fixed wheelbase of your rolling stock. For an engine you take the distance between the outer fiwed axels (so bogies or ponies don't come into it) for stock the distance between the pivot points of the bogies (if present) otherwise the distance between the axles. I have no idea what engines or stock you are talking about, but you take a ruler and measure (or estimate from known real 1:1 engines). Now if you end up with 18 times I wouldn't despair, it probably means you'll have to be carefull. But if you end up at 10 times it will be time for head scratching.
Expert in non-working solutions

tom_tom_go

Re: O Gauge Radii

Postby tom_tom_go » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:23 am

Worth downloading the free version of AnyRail as it's great for track design including custom radius curves:

http://www.anyrail.com

I eventually bought a licensed version and have used it for all sorts of projects.

Cheers,

Tom
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm:
(1) Write down the problem
(2) Think very hard
(3) Write down the answer

16mm Robin Wood Light Railway - http://tinyurl.com/16mmNGM-rwlr
Scale Model Technical Services - www.smtsmodels.com

Return to “Large Gauge Model Railway - including 1, O, and S”