Budget O chassis?

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
Si D

Budget O chassis?

Postby Si D » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi,

I've always wanted to have a go at O gauge but cost has been prohibitive - currently have no income! However, my scratch building ability has progressed enough for me to feel confident in building my own rolling stock with just the wheels, axles and couplings to buy. What I produce will not be up to the standard of commercial kits or rtr but good enough for the humble industrial layout I plan.

The problem is the loco. Although I'm happy to have a go at the body I do not feel confident enough to scratch build a chassis (and probably couldn't afford the tools to do it right). So, my question is, is there a budget chassis (chassis, wheels, gears, motor) or chassis kit that I could use without breaking the bank? I'm hoping to get change from, say, £40....perhaps a forlorn hope?

..and any other advice for a cash limited newbie to O?

thanks!

ElDavo

Re: Budget O chassis?

Postby ElDavo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:14 pm

I don't know off hand whether there is a chassis kit available, probably is. Have you looked at the list of suppliers on the Gaige O Guild website? I assume the £40 only covers the chassis frame. If you are thinking it will cover the wheels, motor and gears the you will be disappointed I'm afraid.

What special tools do you think you need? For a basic chassis you should be able to make do with common hand tools and a soldering iron.

Cheers
Dave (Not a scratch builder of locos but have messed up a number of kits!)

Si D

Postby Si D » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks, I'll have a scout on the Guild site.

re tools - I'm assuming that chassis are best made from brass (or similar) for the sake of rigidity, thus I'd need something to drill it, to tap it, etc. At the moment I make do with a craft knife, a soldering iron and a junior hacksaw blade. I spose that I could try with thick plisticard - I'll give it a go and see!

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:51 pm

There is this

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_p ... cts_id=163

Maybe this could be customised to your needs
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Fifey

Postby Fifey » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:14 am

I'm after the answer to a similar question, what are the cheapest bogies/ wheels I can get for O gauge?

Si D

Postby Si D » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:There is this

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_p ... cts_id=163

Maybe this could be customised to your needs

Thanks - that's just what I 'm after. Only problem is the six months wait :cry:

Havoc

Postby Havoc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:18 pm

I see several options:
- ebay or equivalent for a beaten up 0 engine.
- just try it! If you need a steam chassis, then there are descriptions on how to build it in magazines like Model Engineer. Diesels might be something else but look at this: http://home.claranet.nl/users/summer/16 ... hassis.htm Maybe need to adapt some dimensions but not impossible.
- adaption of a smaller gauge engine. It's for industrial layout you say, so you don't need to pull long trains I suppose. A longer axle and larger wheels and you have a drive unit.

Brass would be ideal, but steel can be used just as well. You will need to tin before you solder and give it a coat of anti-rust paint. But it will take paint better than brass, easier to find cheaply and just as good. You could get away with thicker plasticard if you're not building powerfull engines. Even alu if you're carefull and glue/screw instead of soldering. It doesn't have to be brass!
Expert in non-working solutions

RJR

Postby RJR » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:34 am

The other option is model in on30 / O16.5 that way you can have the benefits of modelling the larger 7mm, with the economy of using OO motors, wheels and track. Like this diesel, built from plasticard, mounted on an old OO class57 chassis.

John
RJR

Pete92

Postby Pete92 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:53 pm

I think I have one lying around somewhere, ill dig it out if you want? It was intended for live steam but can probably be used
Cheers,
Pete92

Si D

Postby Si D » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 am

thanks for all the replies....I thought that my naivety might be the source of some amusement, but am grateful for some very helpful advice!

i think that I shall bite the bullet and try and make my own - if I pop a nice home grown steam tram loco body with deep skirts on it then no one will be able to see if the wheels are the wrong size or in the wrong place!

Havoc

Postby Havoc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:05 pm

If you go for a tram then Om (22.5mm) or Oe (16.5mm) would be possible. Meaning you can use cheap/recycled h0 drive units. And a skirt can hide a lot.

Plasticard for frames is possible if you use brass bearings glued in it. Or even a piece of brass tube used as a bearing. You'll probably need a bit more stiffners. But if you think about doing this frequently, then "investing" in a bit of tools might be a good idea. A pillar drill would be a good start as it would let you make nice perpendicular holes.

boxbrownie

Postby boxbrownie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:51 am

I would reiterate the suggestion to scan ebay for old Lima locos and chassis, and of course not often thought of but you could find an old Mamod steam loco which has gone to the great loco house in the sky and adapt it for battery/electric working......at the very least you'll have a chassis......
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.

mikebris

Postby mikebris » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:44 pm

O Gauge chassis are quite easily made using 1"x1/16" brass strip easily obtainable from most model shops who sell materials as well as just the stuff that comes in boxes ready to be just placed on the layout as it is. You will also require two or three frame spacers for O Gauge which are also readily obtainable together with 4 or 6 axle bushes depending on whether you intend to build an 0-4-0 or an 0-6-0.Cut your 2 lengths of brass and solder them together around the edges ensuring that the long edges are exactly in line with one another. Mark out the axle centres and drill them 1/4" diam,drill the holes for the screws for the spacers,cut the outside profile of the frames and then separate the two pieces. You now have two identical frames which can be screwed together using the frame spacers.I forgot to mention that the frame spacer screw holes should be countersunk.This can easily be achieved by using a larger size drill.
It now only remains to solder the axle bushes into the 1/4" holes and you have a chassis.

Regards
Mike

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Just to add my little bit to the answers you have already received....
Many years ago in RM there was an article where a guy had re-cycled many of his OO locos to make small O gauge steam locos. I can't remember the name of the layout but I do recall that it was based on pre-group Scottish practice.
OO wheels on extended axles and OO motors where the order of the day with original Triang/Hornby chassis blocks modified for the larger scale.

The old Triang Big Big range can still form the basis of a cheap O gauge railway if you pick up stock that needs some tlc.
Lima has been mentioned but there was also Atlas O and Rivarossi; Faller Playtrain or Hit train can also be useful.

There are some very cheap 32mm gauge chassis available from the likes of Brandbright and IP Engineering and whilst aimed at the 16mm garden market can adapt well to 7mm scale albeit battery operated.
Continuing on the theme of plastic chassis many of the old Brian Clarke 16mm loco kits used plasticard for their construction and the demise of his kit range is still lamented.
Anyone else remember the 'Stomper' revolution - cheap 4wd cars which could be modified to produce a power bogie for 45mm gauge by changing the roadwheels for rail wheels. 32mm gauge required a little more work by thinning down the battery compartment but it was possible. There must be similar toys available these days which are ripe for conversion.
Maybe an old Lego train may provide an opportunity for regauging?

PCB can be used for loco frames, (solder them with the copper side facing in) try thin ply, even mdf can be used with imagination.

Consider making loco bodies from tinplate - biscuit tins are a good source, pipework from welding/brazing rods or bicycle spokes

I like the idea of going back to basics buying the minimum of parts and making everything else.

I wish you success with this project and would love to see the results of any work you carry out :wink:
Regards
Christopher D.

Havoc

Postby Havoc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:57 pm

PCB can be used for loco frames,

That's an original suggestion I haven't read before. And a good one: reasonably cheap, easy to work (but the glass filled one is hard on files), easy to solder/glue, reasonably stiff, good size. Downside is you'll need bushes for the axles because of the glass inside and limited thickness range (easy) available.

Return to “Large Gauge Model Railway - including 1, O, and S”