Pannier crew

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
muggins

Pannier crew

Postby muggins » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:19 am

My Bachmann panniers are in need of crews, so I have questions. Is there a magic technique for getting them into the right positions in the cabs? And are any of the offerings from Dart/Monty's particularly suitable? (I'd love to use Modelu but can't afford to, and I was decidedly unimpressed with Falcon).

Bigmet

Re: Pannier crew

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:37 am

muggins wrote:My Bachmann panniers are in need of crews, so I have questions. Is there a magic technique for getting them into the right positions in the cabs? ...

This may vary depending on what pannier models you have. The current 57xx/8750 type is very easy. With the body off the mechanism, undo the screws under the bunker which retains the casting inside, and with this free a little flexing of the body shell breaks any cement bonds allowing the moulding of the bunker exterior and rear spectacle plate to come away from the footplate and cab roof. A small high output torch is helpful in showing where the joints are. Several Bachmann tank locos are constructed in this style, very handy for getting inside the cabs; and the bunker and spectacle plate moulding relocates seamlessly, doesn't need any adhesive to stay put.

muggins

Postby muggins » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:43 am

Thanks very much indeed, BIgmet. I'd never have worked that one out.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 am

You'll get there! The trick is to see every model as a kit, that just happens to have been assembled (sometimes not too wonderfully) in a factory. If it was originally in pieces, then provided the assembly technique didn't involve lashings of adhesive or some other permanent fixing technique, it will come apart. (Of course some parts are a pain to reassemble without the factory tools and jigs, but that's a different problem.)

RuffnutThorston

Postby RuffnutThorston » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:29 pm

There are some loco crew figures in the Dapol, (ex Airfix) C002 Railway Workmen set.

https://www.dapol.co.uk/shop/model-accessories/self-assembly-oo-kits/c002-railway-workmen-set-of-38-504

This is one figure in one of our Bachmann Panniers...

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:41 am

And while we are on the 57xx illustrated above, overall a very neat model and runs well; but those brake pull rods nearly the thickness of the rails, always catch my eye! The pull rod is moulded integral with the keeper plate, so just a single part that Bachmann could revise to upgrade the appearance...

Return to “Bachmann”