Bachman Gordon

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
forest446

Bachman Gordon

Post by forest446 »

Hi all
Got my Bachman Gordon out to run it up an down A small straight just to keep locos moving
Layout has been down a fair while now
An it started to produce blue ish smoke but no burning smell.
Could it just be dust or is it the motor letting me know it’s about to die
Loco easy 7 year old but not done massive amount of running an
Had been stood 2 years
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.
Dad-1

Re: Bachman Gordon

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi forest446,

There is a good chance it's burning oil that's crept into places where you
don't want it !!
I've had a loco smoke for that reason, also not running, but a thorough
clean up including gaps in the commutator had it working superbly again.

It's surprising how far oil & grease can creep, particularly if stored in a
loft that can get very hot in summer.

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Geoff and I seem to be in agreement.
If it moved ok or perhaps a bit on the slow side, the fist thing to do is clean out any old lubricating oil or grease, if you aren't sure about doing this take it to a dealer who can service it for you. Bachmann Thomas series of models are imports from America, I doubt Bachmann Europe can deal with it. If it came from Tootaly Thomas, it may be worth contacting them.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I am pretty confident on most models but the moving eyes...
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa ... /58744.pdf
forest446

Post by forest446 »

It ran ok stripped it cleaned it oiled it
Ran for about a min on rolling road went fast then crawled the blue smoke appeared an stopped
Will try do a full strip down can order complete motor an gearbox.
The loco is easy 10 year old if not more it’s one of the first ones made they were like £30 unlike the £90 they sell em at now
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

@ Bigmet, if it's like Percy the moving eyes mean all the more space to put in a bit of weight. I cannibalised a Percy and a couple of Greggs, Geoff T had the DCC boards out of the Greggs, I think I've still got Percy's eyes somewhere if you feel tempted to create a new Thomas character. :roll:
forest446

Post by forest446 »

Ha ha
I Have just about finished Molly waiting on the boiler bands and lining delivery.
Merlin and Boco done an Rebecca is getting there
So won’t be doing any more customs for a while
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I'll give that a miss! I have one Bachmann Thomas body on a different Bachmann mechanism to entertain children with the 0-200 mph in 3 seconds performance that I have set up. He's a very naughty engine.

She is much too old for this sort of thing now, but one small girl didn't need the faces or colours to be able to classify the locomotives per Awdry. There were difficulties, too many different Gordons (ECML pacifics) and several types of locos that Awdry never covered, especially the 2-8-0s. We settled on Fred the freight engine for them.
forest446

Post by forest446 »

Well took the motor out ran it on test bed I have for running motors after I service them connected it got it running for about 15 seconds then it caught fire an that’s no understatement
Any idea on the motor size Bachman U.K. dont stock spares an USA website still closed
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Take a look at 12volt motors on Ebay, if you can find a visual match then there's usually an accompanying drawing of the dimensions. I've bought several motors on there, the only thing you need is a worm puller, or some way of doing it yourself, 2mm slot in a brass plate across the jaws of a vise and a steel punch works. Try the sites for Plazzajapan, Bea_studio and Banggood.
Bachmann will currently have no stocks for historic imports, but they've just taken up the licensing that Hornby held, so that situation may well change.
forest446

Post by forest446 »

That’s what I was hoping they had already got spares in but not so the gear is an easy one it’s a plastic lose fit but so far eBay coming up short found couple of Hornby direct swops way cheaper but just not this one
whufcfan

Post by whufcfan »

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index ... cts_id=782
Is this any good, I went all the way through to check out, just under $20 .00 + shipping.