Ivatt 4MT

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
D605Eagle

Ivatt 4MT

Post by D605Eagle »

I've bought a second hand early production 4MT. It was DCC fitted but is now just DC. The motor in it has suffered from a commutator flash over, and although I have cleaned and repaired it the brushes are both now too short to be of any use, Does anybody know if they are available or is the only option a new motor? If that is the case would it be best to fit a better quality after market motor opposed to another Bachmann 3 pole one?
Bigmet

Re: Ivatt 4MT

Post by Bigmet »

I'd get a price from Bachmann, and try the independent motor suppliers, in both cases for what is available. For DC operation I'd ideally be after a skew wound five pole motor, and expect that might be what you are thinking?

Have you got the worm off the motor shaft? Past experience is that Kader put them on tight, and heat is often required. I have never yet needed to replace the brushes on a Bachmann motor so cannot offer any direct advice there, my venturings inside their can motors have been to repair two motors where a magnet was not fully secured to the can.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Yeah a 5 pole screw wound would be ideal. Not a huge fan of these tiny bachmann 3 pole motors, but if I can bushes then I would fit them. Ebay threw a blank so probably not available.
mossdp

Post by mossdp »

If the brushes are small, have you considered cutting some down from another source. May not even need to be another model train. Brush from some other motor might be suitable source material
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote:Yeah a 5 pole screw wound would be ideal. Not a huge fan of these tiny bachmann 3 pole motors, but if I can bushes then I would fit them. Ebay threw a blank so probably not available.
Never seen them listed as spares, and I don't really know how the supply of alternative motors is now. If there is still a 'new old stock' Mashima available of matching can dimensions, I would suggest leaping at it! The fit into the clip in plastic cradle may require some small shaving of the interior of the cradle, or alternatively some thin shimming, but was otherwise trouble free. The 1426 I put into a friend's Bach standard five is still going well a dozen and more years later, and I hope the same is true of the Mashima (don't remember the sizing!) I substituted in a standard 4 2-6-4T for a late friend.

My last motor purchases were made when the ever helpful Andy Mullins was running Branchlines, which gives an idea of how long ago it was. When the OO RTR manufacturers gave clear signs of producing both good models and adaptable mechanisms suitable for all the locos I still needed, my motor replacements on old kit builds ceased. (My hobby is operations first and foremost. If someone else is prepared to run the loco, carriage and wagon works, that's fine by me!)

Almost. I have an ex-GER E4 2-4-0 glaring accusingly at me. Now it's not a loco my modelling really has a use for; but then again it is a very pretty loco, and they were the last survivors in service of what had once been a common wheel arrangement.