Bachmann, no new OO announcements for 2020

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Bachmann, no new OO announcements for 2020

Post by Bigmet »

It's austerity from Bachmann! Nothing new to show, just revised timescales (bear in mind I have only looked at OO model railway, there might be 'other stuff').

Making positive noises about getting the V2 out in 2020. That's a tick in the box I want to see ticked. The EP's that have been shown reveal a model that looks like a V2, which is a step forward from previous.

In other news, their website is being relaunched as something simple and user friendly, just like it once was! Which is good.
https://www.bachmann.co.uk/
stuartp

Re: Bachmann, no new OO announcements for 2020

Post by stuartp »

I thought the range wasn't due to be announced until 4th Feb ? Or have I missed something ?
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

A 'compendium' catalogue of all Bachmann UK product has hit the street, and those who have it are reporting 'nothing new'
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Ah. Fair comment !
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

I suspect they don't need to announce anything new for this year as this year's releases were announced in 2017 or was it 2016. 8)

Hat coat door
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

They do have a pretty large range of previously announced models to get through which will I suspect easily extend into 2021 and possibly beyond, more so if some of the more negative aspects of Brexit come true.

The 117 and 121 probably in April/May 2020, the 414 in July, the MR 0-4-4T and 94xx in Sept judging by previously issued details on their website which has now been revamped and currently is only showing what is in or out of stock (the latter including items not yet made).
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It reads as a sensible move, work their way through all the various announced product; and only when nearing the bottom of that barrel, start with new announcements to appear in the 12 -24 month timescale they were achieving 2002 - 2012.

We will quite quickly be able to gauge whether they are on track, by the appearance of the various OO models identified in Mike Parkes post (and more from their other ranges). It felt like the pace was picking up at the end of 2020, with the crane and J72 appearing, among other things.

Hopefully the improvement seen on their website recently will continue. That's another aspect where Bachmann have plumbed the depths. Not so very long ago they had a very user friendly website. Then it got 'upgraded' and became so impossibly clunky as to be useless. But earlier this week something far superior emerged, still a work in progress, but simple to access for the product you want to look at and thus useful!
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

I've just recieved an invitation from Bachmann to attend the 'Bachmann New Product Showcase - Midlands' at Hinckley.
I'm a member of the Bachmann Collectors Club and it appears they have started opening this usually 'trade only' event to club members.
It's on Wednesday 5th Feb. Transport is no problem and Hinckley is just over 50 miles away so only about an hour's drive on the A14.
I'm just wondering whether it's worth the effort basically. I'll probably make my mind up on the morning of the 5th.
I'll report back if I do decide to go.

Pete
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I'm wondering if Bachmann cancelled the previous announcement because Hornby announced the same model due out this year, possibly the 2mt, the Thompson disasters or even the APT. The 2mt in particular seems odd that Bachmann didn;t do years ago as they have the LMS Ivatt 2mt which is so close. Missed opportunity there.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

RailwayRobbo wrote:I've just received an invitation from Bachmann to attend the 'Bachmann New Product Showcase - Midlands' at Hinckley...
Should you decide to go and whatever is said by by Bachmann doesn't make it clear, you could ask if the 'Combined catalogue' that has just been issued is 'complete'. By which I mean that what is in it is planned for production and release on sale over the period this catalogue is current for. And anything not in this catalogue, is not going to be produced while it is current. There's debate over this...

D605Eagle wrote:I'm wondering if Bachmann cancelled the previous announcement because Hornby announced the same model due out this year, possibly the 2mt, the Thompson disasters or even the APT...
I would take the view that was expressed earlier in this thread by 'Paul-H', that their existing 'announced list' was quite long enough already, so nothing new has been planned.

What is to change, is that when they do have something completely new to announce they are going to break away completely from the previous 'annual announcement' pattern. Instead they will announce quarterly and only as and when the new introduction is going on sale within a few months. Given how much backlog they have to clear, could be quite a while before an announcement of something completely new appears. (That may be the plan now, but knowing how fidgety and undisciplined marketing types are it will be a wonder to me if they can stick to it!)
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

Bigmet wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:I'm wondering if Bachmann cancelled the previous announcement because Hornby announced the same model due out this year, possibly the 2mt, the Thompson disasters or even the APT...
I would take the view that was expressed earlier in this thread by 'Paul-H', that their existing 'announced list' was quite long enough already, so nothing new has been planned.

What is to change, is that when they do have something completely new to announce they are going to break away completely from the previous 'annual announcement' pattern. Instead they will announce quarterly and only as and when the new introduction is going on sale within a few months.
That's how I read it. What's coming, and how quickly (or not) isn't really changing; only the point at which we first hear about it
muggins

Post by muggins »

Other than the nice green boiler banding and an awful lot of money, can anyone tell me what the difference is between 31-464A, the new C Class announced with an RRP of £199.95, and 31-461A, the plain black Southern one I bought brand new from MRD last week for £59.99?
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

muggins wrote:Other than the nice green boiler banding and an awful lot of money, can anyone tell me what the difference is between 31-464A, the new C Class announced with an RRP of £199.95, and 31-461A, the plain black Southern one I bought brand new from MRD last week for £59.99?
The price of 31-464A looks a bit odd however not as much as you imply as you are comparing a list price with a discounted price, 31-461A has a list price of £124.95
muggins

Post by muggins »

Mike Parkes wrote: ... 31-461A has a list price of £124.95
Gosh. So it has. And I see that whereas the one I bought last week cost me £59.95, the very same thing would cost me £40.01 more now.

Funny old world, innit ...
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

I noticed their SECR Dark Lake Birdcage Stock coaches, or rather their recommended retail price (£84.95 per coach). I am glad that I bought my rake (lined Maunsell green SR) before, when a few tenners less per coach. At the time, I thought that the price I paid (probably between £50 and £55 per coach) was about the limit, even for coaches that I really wanted.

Interestingly enough, I have just ordered a Bachmann Branchline locomotive from Kernow for £63.99. It is a bit black and LMSy, and I understand that it has been out a few years, with generally positive reception. It is a Class 3F 0-6-0 tender locomotive.