Replacement chassis for Replica Railways 57xx

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
minipix

Replacement chassis for Replica Railways 57xx

Postby minipix » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:53 pm

I have a Replica Railways (i.e. Bachmann) 57xx that is about 20 years old. I love the model, but it keeps derailing on my radius 1 curves, and bounces a bit at the back with every wheel revolution. I've taken it apart a couple of times, but never really got to the bottom of what's wrong with it.

So I was wondering whether it's possible to keep the body but replace the chassis? Could I put the 57xx body onto a newer Jinty chassis, for example, that I know goes round the corners? If I did go down that route, I'm guessing the screw holes wouldn't line up, so how would I secure the body? Anyone done this sort of thing before and can share any tips?
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

Jim S-W

Re: Replacement chassis for Replica Railways 57xx

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:53 pm

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:45 pm

minipix wrote:I have a Replica Railways (i.e. Bachmann) 57xx that is about 20 years old. I love the model, but it keeps derailing on my radius 1 curves, and bounces a bit at the back with every wheel revolution. I've taken it apart a couple of times, but never really got to the bottom of what's wrong with it...

It probably has one if the several diseases to which split chassis mechs are prone after some years in use. One guess from the problem description would be a wheel loose on the axle insulator. If that is the case then a thorough degrease and supergluing may reattach it. Might have a bulging wheelface insert fouling the rods making it incapable of negotiating R1, fix that by removing the insert and trimming down so it will lie flat. There's nothing to lose if it is no longer a reliable performer. It is long out of production and I have no knowledge of what if any spares are available, or what commonality - if any - may exist with previous Kader split chassis productions of 57xx under the Mainline or Bachmann labels, all of which are now long obsolete.

The lovely High Level chassis kit will make a super model, but if you need R1 capability it will I suspect be a non-starter.

Easily the simplest option if your model's mechanism cannot be repaired is the current Bachmann model. It is R1 capable though may need a little plastic taking off the brake shoe mouldings to clear the wheels when on R1.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:26 pm

If its a case of a split axle then Bachmann I understand had, and may well still have, axle centres for you do a DIY repair.
http://www.bachmann.co.uk/general-enquiry/

Alternatively you can buy them from Peters Spares
https://www.petersspares.com/peters-spa ... er-66xx.ir

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:59 am

But the caution there is that if it has a Replica design mechanism - and this can well have a Bachmann identifier on it as they were produced by the Kader group under contract for Replica - then the parts may not be compatible. I haven't had this model to look at in split chassis form from either business; but have had both the Replica and Bachmann B1s, and the mechanisms had no significant parts in common at all.

So, careful assessment required. If the Replica model has their 'pod' motor in a white or pale grey plastic case with spur gear drive, I doubt that any current Bachmann spares will be suitable. If it is a can motor with a worm drive, then that's more
likely to be a Bachmann mechanism.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:29 pm

The Replica 57xx used exactly the same tooling as the original Mainline 57xx and the first Bachmann 57xx's

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 pm

When it comes to the difference between Bachmann and Bachmann for Replica my experience is exactly the same as Bigmet, virtually no parts in common. They produced some Bachmann replacement chassis for the models that went out with Replica style chassis and they are a totally different beast even though they were still split chassis. I bought one to use with my rebuild of a Lima 94xx tank, it's 21 years old and still rumbling along.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 pm

The Bachmann branded split chassis models had a flywheel fitted can motor, but the basics of the chassis remained unaltered. The PetersSpares axles are described as being for the Mainline model Including The Bachmann Pannier so with the batch Kader made for Replica coming between each of those it would be pretty odd if they did not fit. Peters Spares do state "This Axle set replaces older Round pinned wheels stubs not the more modern Square pinned version"

minipix

Postby minipix » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated. It sounds like there may be a number of potential issues and therefore fixes for the existing chassis, so armed with that I might take another look and see what can be done.

As for replacing the chassis, from the comments above it sounds like it's possible. On the other hand, I've not seen many people selling just the chassis, and if I'm trying to find a proper Bachmann 57xx chassis I might as well just buy a whole Bachmann 57xx loco and abandon my current one completely. Still, good to know what my options are!
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

6C

Postby 6C » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Definitely worth repairing - much superior to the mainline and early Bachmann split chassis IMO - as I have versions of all 3 - with the replica being noisy (from day one) - but mine has survived without major surgery - which is more than I can say about the others..
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:18 am

minipix wrote:...As for replacing the chassis, from the comments above it sounds like it's possible. On the other hand, I've not seen many people selling just the chassis, and if I'm trying to find a proper Bachmann 57xx chassis I might as well just buy a whole Bachmann 57xx loco and abandon my current one completely...

I have had great fun 'stuffing' older models - some RTR, some kitbuilt - with current RTR OO mechanisms they were never designed to take; in order to restore them to good running order. You must be prepared for a fair amount of carving to either or both of body and mechanism. I have made use of a lot of Bachmann panniers as they come with the widely useful wheelbase and wheel diameter combination that the GWR copied from Crewe's practise, that suits many other railway companies locos; my ex GNR J52 runs on a Bachmann pannier mechanism for example. (Same applies to the MR/LMS 3F 'Jinty' mechanism - the majority of UK railways copied either Crewe's or Derby's dimensions for the 0-6-0 layout, these designs dating from roughly 1850, by which time the basics of goods loco design had been sorted out.)

How do I get these mechanisms? Generally by purchase of complete locos, looking for bargain basement prices and s/h. I then sell on bodies, tenders, other unused parts, boxes, as spares to bring the net price down: oh, and the old mechanism too will often sell!

The current Bachmann model isn't perfect, but better than anything that went before, and I would suggest unless determined to get the old model going it is the best option. It's clunkiest aspect is the overweight moulded brake pull rods. Carefully saw those off, and fit strip metal replacements and that improves the model by some distance. The old model can still be useful in a shed scene, steam locos had to be 'stopped' for boiler washout very frequently, and operations such as valve inspection came round regularly. A loco on shed with a couple of hoses and large puddles of water on view is very representative of reality.

minipix

Postby minipix » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Great advice @Bigmet. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good price donor loco!

In the meantime, I had another look at my 57xx last night, taking it apart pretty much as far as I could go. It does have 'Bachmann' on the bottom, but it's definitely the Replica split chassis mentioned above, with the 'pod' motor rather than can motor. I cleaned up the axles (there was a little gunk on them) but sadly the running didn't improve dramatically - it's better, but nowhere near as smooth as my Hornby J94 which of course uses a much newer chassis design.

@Bigmet, do you happen to have any photos of locos you've chassis-swapped? I'm intrigued!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:20 pm

I don't, one of those retards without a digital camera!

My favourite, simply because most people find it really improbable, is the mechanism from the Bachmann BR std 5MT adapted to power the Bachmann V2 body, after the split chassis mechanism had worn out.

Return to “Bachmann”