Bachmann 32-525ds deltic ticking sound when turned off

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
mjb1961

Bachmann 32-525ds deltic ticking sound when turned off

Postby mjb1961 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi ,,does anyone have the above mentioned loco with sound ,,,if so does it give a ticking noise / sound after F1 fades out ,it sounds a bit like your car engine starting to cool down after a long run in hot weather ,,I've just acquired this loco and have noticed this sound ,the date on the box puts it as 2011 year ,,thanks mjb

Peterm

Re: Bachmann 32-525ds deltic ticking sound when turned off

Postby Peterm » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:07 am

Have you tried turning the juice off or lifting it off the track before the sound is actually finished? My thinking is that it's supposed to be representing exactly what you're saying about the cooling down sounds, so I think that lifting it off before it's finished would negate the effect of any stay alive type of circuit fooling you. Just a thought.
Pete.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:35 am

I found this and in the very last seconds it sounds like a clicking. Is this what you mean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mTVP4_hoE
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:08 am

Hi ,,thankyou for your replies,,,the more I listen to the sound on the loco and the video the more I'm convinced it is supposed to be there ,thanks again ,,,,,mjb

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 am

On my sound locos (which are mostly American N gauge and not Bachmann) I have to "turn off the engine" by pressing F8 twice. Sometimes it takes a few attempts. Otherwise they make various noises all the time.
Regards
Rob

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:52 am

Think this noise could be quite prototypical, I remember looking at the lines of parked up class 37s at Motherwell shed from the B&Q carpark and the clicking noise was quite noticeable, seems to be something to do with a valve on a timer that bleeds water from the air system.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks again guys for your replies,,,ironduke,F8 on the decoder is cab lights on/off but thanks anyway ,it doesn't effect it's running and responds to the commands I send it ,you know I think it is part of its shut down / stop sequence ,this is my first diesel sound loco ,I'm used to steam engines ,,,,thankyou :D :D :D

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:50 pm

End2end, yes I think that's what he's talking about. Spirax valve? Whatever, it's a sound that's supposed to be there. I might even have a listen to mine later on. It's also Bachmann but the NRM one to which I've fitted an ESU decoder with an earth mover speaker.
Pete.

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Ironduke wrote:On my sound locos (which are mostly American N gauge and not Bachmann) I have to "turn off the engine" by pressing F8 twice. Sometimes it takes a few attempts. Otherwise they make various noises all the time.

Well, they do, don't they? The only time a steam locomotive is silent is when it's cold and dead.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:20 am

UrbanHermit wrote:
Ironduke wrote:On my sound locos (which are mostly American N gauge and not Bachmann) I have to "turn off the engine" by pressing F8 twice. Sometimes it takes a few attempts. Otherwise they make various noises all the time.

Well, they do, don't they? The only time a steam locomotive is silent is when it's cold and dead.

Yes! I wasn't complaining.
Regards
Rob

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:43 am

Definitely the sound of the spirax valve. My Deltic makes the same noise when shutting down. The original sound enabled Deltics used a loksound version 3.5 decoder which had the spirax valve as a "dying" noise when the loco was shut down. More up to date sound files have the spirax valve as a switchable sound which you can leave on ad infinitum after the main loco sound has shut down.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Return to “Bachmann”