2019 Catalogue Announcement

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
rb277170

Re: 2019 Catalogue Announcement

Postby rb277170 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Not at all surprised . However if you listen to others in forums the manufacturers are losing their shirts every time they sell to us . With , admittedly a strategic in this case, price reductions of £25 clearly that has not been the case . There are some out there that believe every products price is set according to how much it costs to make , while of course it’s more how much the enthusiast will take. And as to Chinese labour cost increases forcing the prices of models up, yes they are but By a very limited amount given the labour content as a % of final selling Price . Wonder what the price of a 37 would drop to if Bachmann had competition there?

Bachmanns announcements are restricted this year. It’s understandable given they have a huge amount of back announcements that have still to come through . The 158 heads them at 6 years, but there’s 90s , 94xx , 1p, V2 to name but a few still to come through . I think it says a lot about the company that they chose to announce cancellations , j39, n J72 on the day of the Hornby announcements instead of having it as part of their announcement the following week. In fact I think they’ve missed a serious opportunity to garner support , had they been honest and said look we have problems , we are working through them , then enthusiasts would have got on board . Instead cancellations are announced one week , new announcements, mainly reliveries are announced the next and as far as I can see there is no update on previous announced models . We know some things are scheduled to arrive this year but what about Turbostars , v2s etc . No mention. Whicjh leads to the assumption they are deliberately saying nothing, so they don’t know . Will these models see the light of day ?

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 pm

The next three locos after the new releases in 2019, see my posting earlier in the thread, (ie for release probably in 2020 ) will presumably be the MR 0-4-4T, 94xx and Class 20/3 on which they are expecting be engineering prototypes by March in the case of the two steam locos and a by summer for the 20/3.

rb277170

Postby rb277170 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:00 pm

Lots more not mentioned though

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:24 am

rb277170 wrote:...However if you listen to others in forums the manufacturers are losing their shirts every time they sell to us . With , admittedly a strategic in this case, price reductions of £25 clearly that has not been the case . There are some out there that believe every products price is set according to how much it costs to make , while of course it’s more how much the enthusiast will take. And as to Chinese labour cost increases forcing the prices of models up, yes they are but By a very limited amount given the labour content as a % of final selling Price . Wonder what the price of a 37 would drop to if Bachmann had competition there?...

As I posted earlier, Bachmann's pricing is going to be driven by the profitability direction set by their parent Kader, to match what is achieved in equivalent product over their various operations. So we can expect more price increases in their OO, as much of it is still priced well below similar HO. This won't be evenly applied but scaled against the competitive position, as the class 66 reveals very clearly. But profit reduction 'there' means more of an increase 'elsewhere' unfortunately, to meet the profit target. (Much of it seems to have landed on the Presflo at an RRP of £42!)

Must admit if I had been working for Bachmann these past few years, then on seeing the estupido s/h prices that some of their product has changed hands for, I would have been pushing for a 'let's see what the market will bear' pricing policy. I hope their new products are good, and competition beaters. Because they will need to be, if they are to sell in the face of a growing number of effective outfits going after a piece of the model railway market.

They had a solidly dominant grip on my wallet over more than 15 years, and then just lost it completely two years ago, simply no new product of interest to me on sale, while Heljan, Hornby, Peco and Rapido took the money, and the outlook remains the same:
Oxford Rail are just about to sell me a few N7s, the very style of product that Bachmann have done well with in the past.
Accurascale look likely to deliver a production Deltic model that wiil leave the current shabby Bachmann item for dead.
Peco have timed their entry into better RTR OO track perfectly for me and hopefully there will be yet more from them.
Lenz are - finally - upgrading their wonderfully reliable DCC system significantly.
Hornby have a pile of suitable items in their range which I will purchase as it hits the shelves.
Heljan will hopefully get their arse in gear and produce the 02/1 and O2/2. Bought more Heljan locos than Bachmann recently.
There are further competitors who may yet dangle something that is suitable for my modeling.
And since wonders never cease, Dapol might one day get around to the NBL DE type 2 announced in 2009 for availability in 2010!

Alright that's just one customer, but I bet I am not alone. Bachmann will sell me the R&R breakdown crane, the V2 and Thompson coaches in maroon. But they have to deliver them, which on present form is not looking like a swift happening! In the meantime I will have the fun of operating my layout, on which three quarters of the RTR items are from Bachmann, purchased over those fifteen odd years...

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 pm

What? Lenz have brought out a new controller??

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 pm

The classic pricing model that we are all taught at school has long gone out of the window. The models being shipped now apart from a proportion agreed in advance for payment on delivery and recently put aside, have already been paid for. What they will be priced at depends on, how much needs to be raised to pay for the development of the next tranche that goes into production, what needs to be paid to keep the investors happy and what the purchasers will stand for. The cost of tooling, materials, labour etc are history.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RFS

Postby RFS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:36 pm

dubdee1000 wrote:What? Lenz have brought out a new controller??

Indeed - the LZV200 with release 4 software. I've been told by a reliable German box-shifter that Lenz have told them to expect delivery at the end of the month. And that's January 2019 not January 20?? as it has been for some while!
Robert Smith

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Bigmet wrote:Hmm. The OO for 2019 is all reliveries of existing models, nothing from newly introduced tooling unless I am very much mistaken. And the 2019 catalogue tends toward reliveries of older tooling too. Where are the quite recent Stanier 'porthole' and Thompson gangwayed coaches in BR maroon? Surely they would do better than mk1 coaches, some of which (SK, BSK) are now at least 16 years from introduction if memory serves. Whatever, that's Bachmann's decision to make, but where once I spent most of my wonga allocated to RTR on Bachmann products, they don't stand much chance of my wallet's contents going their way in 2019.

They are listed as 39-451/56/61/66/71/66 as BR Maroon

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Excellent, how did I miss those? A couple will fit nicely in the train that forms the 'up express diverted off the Midland route'.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Bigmet wrote:Excellent, how did I miss those?
Quite easily, Bachmnn never announce what they are going to make in the next x months, they announce what they are adding to the range which may get produced in the next x months but may not; consequently what actually turns up from them each year is a mixture of models announced this year and over the last y years.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:37 pm

With the new SECR C class on its way there has been an influx onto eBay of people trying to cash in on the high going rate :lol:

I say influx, there are 3 or 4, but normally it’s one every few months

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:09 pm

alex3410 wrote:With the new SECR C class on its way there has been an influx onto eBay of people trying to cash in on the high going rate :lol:

Bachmann have released a list of expected release dates this year and the C does not feature, neither do any of the new tooling multiple units (possibly be made this year given their previous comments but arriving in the UK until 2020?) - a correction to my earlier posting the 159 was announced last year but is obviously based on the 158 which was announced way back in 2013. The 2015 announcement re the J72 was a new chassis for the old Mainline body which was superseded by the 2018 entirely new tooling announcement.

Notes:* both dcc ready and dcc sound versions, (EE) Early Emblem, (LC) Late Crest, (SAE)Sales Area Exclusive (available to dealers in specific areas), SYP - Small yellow panel, [W] weathered

MARCH -
08834 RfD
LMS Grey 30T Bogie Bolster
BR Mk1 GUV BR Maroon (Parcels Express)/ BR Blue 'Property Board'
BR Mk1 CCT BR Maroon /BR Blue [W]/Tartan Arrow

APRIL -
37012 'Loch Rannoch' BR Blue (Large Logo)*, 37032 Red Stripe Railfreight [W]* (SAE), 37104 Railfreight Triple Grey [General Sector] with Cockney Sparrow* (SAE), 37142 Engineers Grey*(SAE)
57302 'Chad Varah' DRS Compass (Original) [W]
90005 'Financial Times' BR InterCity Swallow, 90037 BR RfD

MAY -
Station Pilot Train Set
37055 Mainline Blue* (SAE)
47050 BR Railfreight [W]
90042 Freightliner Powerhaul
LMS Porthole coaches in BR Maroon (6 different models)

JUNE -
08624 Freightliner Powerhaul
Class 47 D1842 BR Two-Tone Green SYP*/47050 BR Railfreight [W] DCC Sound
Mk1 BG ScotRail
5 Plank China Clay Wagon GWR Grey (Tarpaulin Cover) [W]/BR Bauxite (TOPS) (Hood) [W]

JULY -
Avro Vulcan XH558 Train Pack
Western Pullman - Dynamis Ultima Sound Fitted Train Set
ROD 2-8-0 ROD 1918/ LNWR 2406
Class 37 D6739 BR Green SYP DCC Sound/37025 ‘Inverness TMD’ BR Blue Large Logo* (SAE)/37046 BR Engineers Grey & Yellow/ 37116 BR Blue* (SAE)
1 Plank Wagon LMS Bauxite / BR Bauxite (Early)
3 Plank Wagon Easter Iron Mines / ICI Buxton Lime
7 Plank Wagon Highley Mining [W]
8 Plank Wagon Ketton Cement / Stewart & Lloyds
009 Open Bogie Wagon Ashover [W]/ICI/Nocton Estates [W]/SR Brown/WD Grey

AUGUST -
Whiskies Galore Sound Fitted Train Set
J72 0-6-0T NER 2173 / LNER 2313 / 68733 BR Black (EE) / 68696 BR Black (LC)
Class 20 D8011 BR Green SYP/20156 BR Railfreight (Red Stripe) DCC Sound/20174 BR Blue
37704 EW&S*(SAE)
Wickham Trolley BR Maroon/BR Green
Warflat WD Khaki Green with tank/WD Bronze Green with tank/BR Grey (Early),
Parrot WD Grey with tank/LMS Grey

SEPTEMBER -
GWR Earl 4-4-0 3206 'Earl of Plymouth' GWR Green DCC Sound /9018 BR Black (EE)[W]
GCR D11 4-4-0 502 'Zeebrugge' GCR Lined Green DCC Sound/62667 'Somme' BR Lined Black (EE)
Class 03 D2028 BR Green (Wasp Stripes)/NCB Black/03026 BR Blue DCC Sound
37521 Colas Rail Freight*, 37669 WCRC*, 37685 BR InterCity*(SAE)

OCTOBER -
BR 5 4-6-0 73118 'King Leodegrance' BR Lined Black (EE)/ 73051 BR Lined Green (LC) [W]
GWR 'Toad' Brake Van GWR Grey/ BR Bauxite (Early)
Ransomes & Rapier 45T Steam Breakdown Crane GWR Grey/SR Grey/BR Black (EE)/BR Departmental Red

NOVEMBER -
SE&CR Birdcage coaches in SR Malachite Green (3 different models)

DECEMBER -
Class 24/1 D5135 BR Green / D5149 BR Green SYP / 24137 BR Blue
LNER 13T Steel Open Wagon With Chain Pockets BR Bauxite (Early)/BR Bauxite (Late)
LNER 10T Fish Van BR Bauxite (Early)/BR Bauxite (Late) [W]

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 pm

Now seen photos of the MR 1P 0-4-4T and 94xx 0-6-0PT, that were exhibited at Ally Pally. Both look very good indeed, the 1P all proper Midland flakiness, looks like it's so fragile it can only pull one coach and will then be on shed for a week to recover from all that exertion; the 94xx a brutish heavy shunter just back from rough shunting a few old wagons onto the scrap line.

When they appear it's wince a bit at the asking prices time. Sure they will sell, because they are shaping up to be very good models. Though I do expect a fair chorus of 'always wanted a '****', but how much?'.

Return to “Bachmann”