Hastings Diesel - Recreate using a MLV

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Sjay

Hastings Diesel - Recreate using a MLV

Postby Sjay » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi all, I'd really like to recreate the Hastings Diesel set for use on the layout since it will make a nice addition.

I'm not much of a scratch builder and not ready to run class 202 is available, so was thinking of using the Bachmann green MLV but not sure what coaches would match?

Any suggestions?

ta

RFS

Re: Hastings Diesel - Recreate using a MLV

Postby RFS » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm

The Hastings units - classes 201 and 202 - were built to a special narrow-bodied design which was 8ft wide. The MLV is to the standard 9ft width so would be a poor match. Plus you need to create 6 coaches to do so and standard MK1s would not be suitable for the trailer coaches being also 9ft wide.

DC Kits have produced kits for both 201 and 202 but currently they're not in stock. You could try contacting them to see if they are going to produce any in the near future.

See https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=131_224_138&product_id=1144
Robert Smith

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:45 pm

What RFS said is all true. Additionally, the Hastings coaches all had a flat side profile, not the gentle curve of the standard BR mark 1 coaches like the MLV.

Many years ago I started a class 206 'tadpole' unit from DC Kits (also no longer available, unfortunately). It is nearly complete but I haven't put any transfers on. The tadpole has two slab-sided Hastings cars (from 6S units) and one standard width driving trailer, ex-2 EPB, allowing for a direct comparison between the two body profiles. You can see the difference clearly in the model. Ignore the fact that the tadpoles used the shorter 59' underframe Hastings cars; one was later reformed with the later 64' type from 6L and 6B units. The underframes from an MLV or a 4 CEP would e OK to use, but the bodies are quite different.

3R Tadpole DEMU - 1 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

3R DEMU at Newton Broadway - 1 mod by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

3R DEMU at Newton Broadway - 2 mod by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Compare that to the two MLVs in this next pic.

MLV 68004 BR Blue - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Sjay

Postby Sjay » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks guys! Good to know. Maybe have to rethink it.

But I did find a picture of a Victoria to Dover Priory service with 12 car CEP + MLV leads a TLV leading might do that instead.

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/MLV001_f ... age002.jpg

:D I'm not much of a kit basher really. I'm a track designer and builder!

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:00 am

In earlier days, before the TLVs were created, you could find a few trains formed with two MLVs and 12 cars of CEP/BEP. The usual formation would be CEP/BEP/CEP, but in the absence of a model BEP, I have test run trains with 3 x CEP units plus an MLV on my layout. The Bachmann units all run perfectly well together.

Bachmann do have a 4 BEP unit on the books but it isn't out yet.

For the TLV, you could use an ordinary blue and grey BG from Bachmann's standard mark 1 range.

Return to “Bachmann”