Bachmann points

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Montfort

Bachmann points

Postby Montfort » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Hello,
For my new layout, I'm thinking of using Bachmann points 36-872 and 36-873. As usual, before making a lot of mistakes, could you give me a few advices ? Thank you.
Back on the track !
Chris

beejack

Re: Bachmann points

Postby beejack » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Theses are set track points and are identical to the Hornby points.
If you are going to use set track points why not use the Peco ST240 and ST241 which in my opinion are far better, made in the UK and on the same website are only £9 each.

kebang

Postby kebang » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:46 am

Its interesting that these points are described as 'non-isolating & perfect for DCC', if you look at the picture the use of plastic in the rails looks identical to an isolating point, meaning that the electrical pick-up properties from a DCC point of view will not be improved. Has anyone had any experience, or been able to examine, one of these points?

kebang

Postby kebang » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:10 am

To try to clarify I have sent the below message to Hattons Web Site
The use of plastic in the rails looks identical to isolating points. If this is so there will be no improvement in electrical pick up. If this is so then the only benefit for DCC would be no need to provide additional electrical feeds to spurs etc. Is the picture shown a picture of the non isolating point, or a stock picture of a set track point? .
(They certainly don't appear to be electrofrog...)

Montfort

Postby Montfort » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks for your help gentlemen. Waiting for hatton's answer.
Back on the track !
Chris

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:46 am

kebang wrote:Its interesting that these points are described as 'non-isolating & perfect for DCC'...

It's even more interesting that the position for a DC user isn't made explicit: these points will not isolate a loco in a siding, long the common practise in set track layout track plans, and consequently set track layouts. As for crossovers between two independently powered DC tracks, not suitable at all unless the rail connectors are changed to insulating type. As such it would be better to state 'Not suitable for DC layout use'.

I can anticipate the questions arising from an innocent purchaser unwittingly mixing these points on a layout with the conventionally isolating type, and then finds locos moving when the expectation is that they are isolated (and derailing when they come to the incorrectly set point) as the first and simplest of the resulting problems.

Is this quite a recent change from Bachmann?

Has anyone purchased and found out whether Bachmann make this explicit? They should really be sold prominently labelled 'DCC only', with instructions for the user modifications to suit DC operation.

Supplementary question. Why have Bachmann done this, could it be retailer input that the majority of set track sales are now going to customers building DCC powered layouts?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:57 am

The points are electrically the same as settrack points with the DCC conversion springs that Hornby sells. I'd say does anyone know if the switch rails are isolated or is shorting to the wheelbacks still a possibility. Certainly they may be troublesome if used on DC. They remind me of Hornby Dublo's first disastrous attempt at two rail points.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Montfort

Postby Montfort » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm

Many thanks for all your replies gentlemen. Very interesting and very helpful. Once again, Thanks.
beejack wrote:...why not use the Peco ST240 and ST241 which in my opinion are far better...

Very good advice. It's exactly what I'm gonna do.
Back on the track !
Chris

kebang

Postby kebang » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:34 am

Hattons replied. To summarise: They are set track points that do not isolate. As Bigmet said they are going to cause problems for beginners trying to use them as crossovers or expecting their DC Loco to be isolated when in a siding.

Return to “Bachmann”