Split chassis Collet Goods questions

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
muggins

Split chassis Collet Goods questions

Post by muggins »

I've been offered a Bachmann Collet Goods at a very tempting price, but it's split chassis. Given that it's cosmetically mint and I'm assured that it's had very little use indeed ...

(a) is there anything in particular I need to check for on account of its split-chassisness?

(b) can I do anything special by way of lubrication/maintenance to slow down the rate at which it will wear out?
mahoganydog

Re: Split chassis Collet Goods questions

Post by mahoganydog »

Hi Muggins,

Define a tempting price because the newer chassis models can be had for £50 or less if you get lucky.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I don't know what you consider a tempting price, I'd expect well under £20 because it's at least 20 years old, (Bachmann had the current mechanism model which replaced it out by 1999) there are no new manufacturer spares available, the essential plastic components of these mechanisms deteriorate even when out of use, and you have no idea whether it has had any handling accidents.

Obviously you want to see it run, try it at a dead slow crawl both directions, as well as normal speed and check that it starts every time it is given power. If there's any lack of smoothness or it doesn't start reliably, avoid, if it is making grinding noises, avoid.

Look at the driving wheel treads where it makes rail contact. If you can see any copper plating showing anywhere (there's copper plating under the surface nickel plating) then it has had a lot of running, avoid.

Look across the wheel faces to make sure the plastic inserts are not bowing outwards, if they are, avoid.

Check that the driving wheelsets don't fall apart with a little outward pressure on the inside of the wheel. If any do, avoid.

Sparing lubrication with a model grease on the stub axles after cleaning of the bearing surfaces is the way to keep these running as long as possible. Don't get oil on the wheelfaces, use a tiny amount of grease on the crankpins.
muggins

Post by muggins »

Blimey! Bigmet, thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post that. I couldn't have wished for a more helpful answer :)
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The split chassis Collett Goods was never sold by Bachmann. It originated as a Kader product for Mainline model in 1978 (GWR 3205, BR lined black 2213 and BR lined green 3210 - this latter version was a 1980 release) and was subsequently made for Replica in 1989 with a different tender, that which had been tooled for the 1980 released Manor (GWR 2244, BR black 2203). Kader had bought Bachmann outright by 1987 and IIRC a number of Replica models had the Bachmann logo on the underside. Kaders entry into the UK market directly as Bachmann Branchiline occurred in 1990 but no Collett Goods was marketed until the 1998 'Blue Riband' model which was a new tooling. Background source: Pat Hammond British Model Trains
Last edited by Mike Parkes on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If that's the case, then it's more like 30 years old minimum, and even if it has 'Bachmann' on the keeper plate it will be a mechanism designed for Mainline. These are worse than the Bachmann split chassis design, weaker wheelset construction and gears, much inferior motor. A tempting price would be the owner pays you £20 to take it away. Don't even bother with it, unless you want a cheap body to use with a kit built chassis, in which case under £10...

(I fully accept Mike Parkes opinion because I was effectively out of the hobby roughly 1977 - 1999, and also have no real interest in models of things GWR. About the only thing in OO I took notice of over that period was the Replica B1: Mainline style mechanism design, made under contract by Bachmann; looked excellent, mechanism rapidly fell to pieces when given real work to do. Mechanically a pile of ordure in short, Mainline loco = don't touch it!.)