Bachmann quality

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bufferstop

Re: Bachmann quality

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I've fortunately never suffered the swelling plastic disease and my split chassis models are either still running or have finally worn through the plating on the axles. Even this isn't terminal if you can contrive some wipers between wheel rim and chassis. Got an extra 10-12 years running out of a Mainline Collet before its armature simply fell to pieces. Maybe that was down to me substituting coupler springs for brush springs many years ago.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi all,thank god the snow has gone from its overnight smattering.Both bachmann and hornby have good/bad points depending on what you want.The first loco,s I believe I bought(Memory is a funny thing) were 4 bachmann N class which although all have a noisy motor or gearing still go after nearly 30 years of near constant use.and no other problems.Similarly with old hornby bullied(Spam cans) no hassle whatsoever.I even still use one squadron loco (Triang Hornby,with smoke.no problem and it still smokes ,it is old enough.Cheers Ron

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:17 pm

rejrob wrote: (Triang Hornby,with smoke.no problem and it still smokes ,it is old enough.Cheers Ron

I had one the first Hornby GWR pannier tanks when first got into model railways (a long time ago!). Although the body detail and wheel flanges were awful compared to todays models, it was a great little runner and I used to love the smoke - I'd run it round and round for hours just to watch it puffing away.

Return to “Bachmann”