Blue Pullman retooled

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
dubdee1000

Re: Blue Pullman retooled

Postby dubdee1000 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:18 am

D605Eagle wrote: Why make every set bundled with all this? People who use DC don't want any of this, people who run DCC already will have controllers etc, and will only want the chips and sound if that at all? Maybe they will want only DCC ready and fit the chips of their choice, I wouldn't know. Why can't Bachmann do the as dcc ready and dcc fitted as well as a complete train set? Seems the obvious thing to do to me.

Because Bachmann have that Dynamis Ultima to shift. Its four years old and is just an update to their standard controller, adding USB. Its a copy of the ESU Navigator, which in ESU's words "is for beginners". The software is a trial, so add on another £50. I don't see this as great value.

I can't see beginners splurging £1000 on a train set, or £250 on a controller that won't be in a box. A controller that can operate via a pc is great, but hornbys elink does this and can be bought in a train set (Western Master) for £150. Seasoned veterans wishing to upgrade their controller are unlikely to pick an Ultima - they'll go for an Ecos or suchlike. You can doubtless expect people to buy the Blue Pullman and then ebay the controller.

I'm sure Bachmann won't be too bothered about that though.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:37 am

I guess its because they can include it in the box at 'cost price' to help justify the overall cost & make the pullman look better 'value'

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:52 am

dubdee1000 wrote:Is the Dynamis Ultima any good? I'm guessing it's another ESU thing?

There is nowt wrong with ESU. They are one of the better DCC manufactures What a comment to make

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 am

trainlover23 wrote:
dubdee1000 wrote:Is the Dynamis Ultima any good? I'm guessing it's another ESU thing?

There is nowt wrong with ESU. They are one of the better DCC manufactures What a comment to make

Here we go. :roll: :roll:

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:44 am

dubdee1000 wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:

Here we go. :roll:

Yeah sure thing :lol: :lol: :lol: :ol:

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am

D605Eagle wrote: Why make every set bundled with all this? People who use DC don't want any of this, people who run DCC already will have controllers etc, and will only want the chips and sound if that at all? Maybe they will want only DCC ready and fit the chips of their choice, I wouldn't know. Why can't Bachmann do the as dcc ready and dcc fitted as well as a complete train set? Seems the obvious thing to do to me.

Got to remember that Kader has been in the financial soup and is still in recovery mode, and is leaning on all its business units to bring in the revenue. This smells to me of getting increasingly hard to shift existing product moved (DCC systems, 'everyone' who wants one has purchased by now) on the back of what should be a very desireable model.

Give the retailers a RRP with plenty of margin to encourage them to stock it and do their best to shift it. Then let the market take care of it. Those who only want the train will have to either wait it out, and see if the retailers start breaking sets; or buy the complete set at best discount available, and attempt to shift the pieces they don't want. Will it sell fast, or hang around in stock 'forever' as retailers hold out for the best price possible?

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

I wonder if the second-hand market for the DCC system will take a bit of a hit with an influx from these sets, that being said I wonder how many sets are actually being made - at this price point, it cant be all that many?

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 am

alex3410 wrote:I wonder if the second-hand market for the DCC system will take a bit of a hit with an influx from these sets, that being said I wonder how many sets are actually being made - at this price point, it cant be all that many?

I would guess a very small number. This a very much rich man's set.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:49 am

dubdee1000 wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:

Don't feed the trolls :wink:

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:12 pm

D605Eagle wrote:
dubdee1000 wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:

Don't feed the trolls :wink:

Even trolls get hungry you know :D :D

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:14 pm

There may be some substance to the theory that Bachmann are using the Western Pullman set to offload slow moving Dynamis Ultima systems.
ESU stopped selling their own branded version of this system ( the Navigator), a couple of years ago, so it's only being made for Bachmann now.
The Bachmann badged version hasn't had the best of reputations for reliability, or many recommendations, on model railway forums either.
I haven't a clue as to how many of these Dynamis Ultimas they actually sell, but I get the impression that it can't be that many.
I could be totally wrong though.

The RailController software isn't that bad as a basic computer based controller, just for driving trains or operating points and signals.

Return to “Bachmann”