Bachmann V2

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
D605Eagle

Bachmann V2

Post by D605Eagle »

Can anybody tell me what production number the first wiper pickup version of the V2 is? Came out about 2012ish IIRC.
Thanks
Jim
Oxley

Re: Bachmann V2

Post by Oxley »

31-550B is V2 'Green Arrow' when it came out with the new chassis (& old body).
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I think it was more like 31-565 that marks the beginning of general releases of the wiper pick up/8pin DCC socket fitted specimens. Those were what I bought not long after release for the new mechanisms to power older bodies.

Have a look through Hattons s/h listings (assuming they have the cat nos right!) it is easy to spot the older split chassis by the dangly Cartazzi truck and old style huge front coupling. http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000 ... x?pageid=5
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The three V2s with DCC ready chassis and the original body tooling are
31-550B 4771 "Green Arrow" LNER Lined Doncaster Green (as preserved at the NRM) (not to be confused with 31-550 and 31-550A which were split chassis)
31-564 60860 "Durham School" BR lined black - early emblem
31-565 60862 BR lined green - late crest (Double chimney)
The next V2s to be released will have a retooled body
31-566 3645 LNER black
31-567 60881 BR lined green - late crest (Double chimney)
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Thanks for that guys.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Hold the phone!

The latest is that the V2 will now be fully retooled, owing nothing to earlier versions. I have been bending Bachmann's ear about the 'much less than half a job' they did with the new mechanism, and feel now that I probably wasn't alone. It's in the drawing office they say, so time away for sure. But hopefully we get a 'current standard' model worthy of this potent beast.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bachmann had an EP sample of the new V2 on show at Warley according to visitors, so progress - at last...
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:Bachmann had an EP sample of the new V2 on show at Warley according to visitors, so progress - at last...
Bachmanns Europe's production runs have reduced to such a point that they get very low priority for each level though to production now, and this is really showing in how long it's taking from announcement to production. They have never been good but now it seems like a lifetime.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Judging by the predicted dates of release for a number of items now showing on Bachmann web site that run through to next Sept they will not appear until October 2020 at the earliest. New tooling's with a released date are
- Dec 2019 Breakdown Crane
- Jan 2020 24/1 and 158
- Feb 2020 159
- Apr 2020 117 and 121 (NSE 117 is May)
- Jun 2020 HKA Bogie Hopper '
- Jul 2020 414 2-HAP
- Sep 2020 94xx and MR 0-4-4T
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I believe that the newly tooled J72 slots in somewhere near the top of that list too. If Bachmann fulfils this list in 2020, then that will be a turnaround, and announcements made in their usual style in March 2020 for delivery over the next 18 months will be more credible.

Although not directed at Bachmann, I felt the most telling content in the James May fronted pieces about Hornby's troubles, were the two major retailers featured letting Hornby know that their volume supply was insufficient. This clearly applies to Bachmann as well. Small wonder several retailers have started in earnest on 'own brand' procurement to ensure they have new products to put in their shop windows, and are willing to cooperate with cross distribution arrangements.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Bachmann are listing the availability of the J72s as "Check with your retailer" !
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I have now seen several pictures of the Bachmann V2 EP and it's certainly looks the fine model that this class has long required. Something to potentially look forward to, once Covid-19 has been seen off. (There will be supply disruption, and any manufacturer that manages to stick reasonably closely to announced schedule will be doing very well indeed is my feeling.)
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Now you've mentioned it, here are 2 shots of it on display at Model Rail Scotland the other week. Unfortunately the glass display cabinet and lighting posed problems in getting decent shots!
V2 crop.jpg
V2 crop2.jpg
V2 crop2.jpg (93.41 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

A friend was kind enough to bring a copy of BRM to me at the weekend (yes, all properly socially distanced!) including a DVD of the V2 and other new Bachmann locos running on Tony Wright's layout. I haven't had a full viewing yet, but what I have seen is enough to show that the V2 is the model that has long been wanted. Bachmann have though gone flangeless for the Cartazzi wheelset, and it isn't clear if they are supplying a flanged substitute with the model, so there may be some fiddling arround required. That apart, it looks very well indeed, and if Mr Wright thinks it has a good working mechanism, that's enough for me.

Bachmann should be onto a winner with this.In the BR period they operated near countrywide, from Scotland down to the West Country
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

So, unsurpisingly Locomotion are doing two versions of 4771/60800 Green Arrow in both of her preserved guises, and Rails have two exclusive models of two of the named locos, and the Rails exclusive ones confirm that, like with the Midland 1P and 94XX have in the last two quarterly releases, there will be an annoucement in the next quarterly release or two, sound fitted V2s, sadly people are thinking the final product will look and run like the pre-production sample, and the usual groan about high prices, I don't think also £330 is unusual for a sound fitted model from Bachmann, in fact that's a fairly good price for a sound fitted shop exclusive locomotive model.