Bachmann class 44, 45 and 46

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Bachmann class 44, 45 and 46

Post by GWR_fan »

I have secured several models of these classes and always wondered why they seem to be considered the least desirable of the Bachmann range in that selling prices on pre-owned models are generally considerably less than a comparable age class 37 or class 47.
Mountain

Re: Bachmann class 44, 45 and 46

Post by Mountain »

The bodies are very "Mainline" like, the locos are indeed, very good. I bought them when they first came out and they certainly impressed me. It could be that when they came out at first they were hardly any different in pricing to a Lima loco, which, to be honest seemed too low a price for what it is (Nothing wrong with Lima. Just the Bachmann chassis was in a different class).
Bachmann 37's and 47's are both very good indeed. Heljan 47 is good but looks a tad too word. ViTrains 37 also looks the part though some have said they lack durability with their plastics. Mine seems OK but there again, it has only been test run so I can't really say more.
It is hard to compare the detail quality as to me the 46 really looks good as do the 37's and 47's. Classes 44/45/46 didnt come into West Wales (Or were so rare they were just not seen as they were not signed by local drivers though some Cardiff drivers may have signed them as they did occasionally enter into that area of Wales) so I can't say if they catch the character of the prototype, but they seem to look like the real thing in photos. The 37's and 47's used to be our main fleet down in these parts, along with various DMU's and 08's and the cut down 03's and the HST's which only ran in early mornings or late evenings. The 37's and 47's do capture the character of the real thing. The only thing I will say that all except for one class 37's in my area had central headcode boxes and roof mounted horns. The one exception seen in the 1990's was a crash damaged repair which had a central headcode one end and a split headcode the other. I do not remember if both ends had roof horns or not, as I was more taken aback to see the thing!
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I recently picked up a Bachmann class 46, green SYWP for £40 on a "best offer" deal on ebay, thought that there may have been something wrong with it but it is perfect, in comparison a Bachmann 47 cost me £87.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

This class group have only ever had the one OO model available at any time. A Mainline item with a motor bogie, which on later transition to Bachmann's range received a version of their Spectrum drive (the first centre motor both bogies driven model on the UK market, from about 1991). The drive was very good, but the model flawed by having the bufferbeams on the body ends instead of correctly mounted on the bogie frames. However if you wanted a RTR OO diesel that ran smoothly and quietly and pulled really well this outclassed anything else previously available in OO, and it was going to be a ten year wait for another equivalent drive under Bach's class 25.

Bachmann in the 2000's then renewed the model completely, new body lost the bufferbeams, but also the break line across the bonnet, got flush glazing and lights. The drive was improved to eliminate the flopping about trucks of the earlier version, running qualities as standard on centre motor models, and the bogies had the bufferbeams correctly located for much improved appearance. Subsequently Bachmann adjusted the body detail to reinstate the bonnet break line.

Although there is the usual diesel enthusiast fussing over 'why don't they produce the flush beam plated front with post 78 lights version in large green and medium yellow, that would sell a million, i'd buy one', it would appear that the level of interest is modest compared to that surrounding the contemporary class 4s of classes 40, 42, 47, 50, 52. (The 47 in particular has had competing models all through the period the Bach Peaks have been available, regularly churned in endless liveries. That last probably part of the reason why, the Peaks have a limited livery choice of BR green, BR blue, BR filth, they were withdrawn pretty early.)

I saw them, and could justify one of the North Eastern allocation, which ran services to KX. But I'm not interested enough. Compared to the 47 or 55 just dull, dull. dull. The two early Bachs I have are bodyless and operate the track cleaning drags as anonymous Bo-Bo units with no bogie detail to eliminate the early version's troubelesome twin pony truck arrangement on each bogie.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Give me a 45/46 over a 47 any day far better looking locos
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The original design to what became classes 44, 45 and 46 (And class 40 also is in this boat) was that there were regulations about the wheel sizes and axle weights which were later relaxed. Hence these classes were one way to get by the regulations by having many wheels to spread the axle load. Once the rules were relaxed, one had Bo-Bo locomotives which could out perform these larger older designs.
The classes above were heavier then they needed to be due to all the wheels (And having larger wheels then needed) which effected their performance.
I like the impressive looks of the large locomotives. I used to have a Mainline version when I was young. I asked my parents for either a class 37 or 47 in B.R. blue and it was the only loco available in B.R. blue at that time as for that year Hornby had a green thing going on with their diesels! :mrgreen: My class 45 could pull ten coaches at speed so I was more then happy!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

trainlover23 wrote:Give me a 45/46 over a 47 any day far better looking locos
Aww. I like the look of 47's... :lol: