What do these codes mean??

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
shezza2

What do these codes mean??

Post by shezza2 »

Hi all, I have been looking at a list of Bachmann engines and have noticed some state DCC Sound, 6DCC, 21DCC, NEXT18CC, 21CC and DCC on board. Now whilst I understand what the DCC Sound means what does the rest mean????
GeoFF03

Re: What do these codes mean??

Post by GeoFF03 »

Several (6DCC, 21DCC etc) relate to the number of connection pins the chips have. The 21CC is one I've not come across.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Hi shezza2

It refers to the type of connection fitted for DCC decoder. Original types NEM 651 (6-pin), NEM 652 (8-pin) and NEM 660 (21-pin). A replacement standard is called Next18 (as detailed in NEM 662) as a new MOROP European standard connector interface designed for use in TT, N gauge and smaller gauge models. A new NMRA standard PluX interface (NEM 658) has also been mooted for years.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
shezza2

Post by shezza2 »

TimberSurf wrote:Hi shezza2

It refers to the type of connection fitted for DCC decoder. Original types NEM 651 (6-pin), NEM 652 (8-pin) and NEM 660 (21-pin). A replacement standard is called Next18 (as detailed in NEM 662) as a new MOROP European standard connector interface designed for use in TT, N gauge and smaller gauge models. A new NMRA standard PluX interface (NEM 658) has also been mooted for years.
So is there a BEST does one do more than the other?
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

The number refers to Pins available. There is no "best". The 6 pin is limited to 2 functions, other than that all the others offer 4 (8 pin) or more.
The Next18 and PluX are more future proof, but converter leads can be had for all. It all depends on the pin type available on a particular decoder. You need to get a match (Engine is suitable for decoder or vice versa)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

shezza2 wrote:So is there a BEST does one do more than the other?
As already said, more pins make more auxiliary functions available: only of value if you want auxiliary functions, obviously enough.

Personally I'd be perfectly happy to have everything offered with the 8 pin socket, as I just want to run the motor, and the lowest cost high quality decoder available comes in cheapest form with an 8 pin plug. But what meets my criteria as 'best' may not suit others. And the simple fact is that UK models come with the socket the manufacturer has decided to fit, there's typically no alternative choices for any particular model: so if you want a particular loco, then it's Hobson's choice on the DCC socket. (A few Bachmann locos started out with 8 pin, then got a revision or upgrade and now have 21 pin; usually when made ready to take DCC sound.)

What disappoints me somewhat is that there isn't what I would consider a really good design of socket employed anywhere as far as I can tell. By now I should have hoped that a leading HO manufacturer would have selected a small general industry standard edge connector, so that decoders can be inserted into a slot in the model (from the underside or underneath a clip on cover) so that complete body removal is not required for decoder installation. That would be an advance.

BTW Ignore '21CC', that's almost certainly a typo for '21DCC'.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

DCC on board means that the loco is factory fitted with a decoder.

DCC sound means the loco has factory fitted sound.

The other designations inform as stated above of the socket type provided in the loco making it ready for you to install your own decoder.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester