0-6-0 tender loco - which one?

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Re: 0-6-0 tender loco - which one?

Post by Bigmet »

muggins wrote:Do they use that mechanism on anything else?
Much the same drive design is in the B12/3 4-6-0; the K1 2-6-0 and 01 2-8-0, but with a single flywheel; the D16/3 4-4-0 and J50 0-6-0T without a flywheel: all of them very fine runners. (The D16/3 is of especial note, there's space that looks like Hornby planned a flywheel for this mechanism; and one could be added. It pulls very well for a 4-4-0 without traction tyres, easily the best Hornby have done in this difficult wheel arrangement by using a good mechanism layout and a metal boiler casting to maximise weight over the coupled wheels.

In addition to the 700 class, the S15 4-6-0 has much the same drive with at least one flywheel, again good reports of its running though I have not yet had one before me to play with.

Enough of the temptation? Ho, ho, ho!
muggins

Post by muggins »

Thanks again Bigmet. I'm stuck with (hidden) Peco first radius curves at each end of my "scenic route" and I know my J15's happy enough chugging round those without any fettling (despite the warning on the box), so I reckon I'll stick with what I know for now.

Hmmm. That J15 in LNER livery does look nice ...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Time to update this as there are now further good options.
Hornby have now released a model of the North British / LNER / BR J36. Drive refinement identical to their J15, appearance excellent.
Oxford Rail have the North Eastern Railway / LNER / BR J27 at a very attractive price. Fine drive, (caveat: it has a coreless motor, so may not work well with some DC feedback controllers) good appearance, fragile loco to tender attachment, but DIY repair is not difficult.

I have both of these and am happy (OR) delighted (H) with them.

And coming imminently (which is why I am posting) Bach's production for Rails of Sheffield of the CR / LMS / BR 812 class, which looks very good; and I am sure as one can be that the drive will be to Bach's usual standard.

Three 0-6-0's suitable for Northern England and Scotland. This is real progress in RTR OO and purchases will hopefully encourage manufacturers to keep 'looking North'.
muggins

Post by muggins »

Hmmm ... interesting observations, Bigmet, but alas this year's price increases have ruled out the possibility of any more loco purchases for me.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bigmet wrote:... Bach's production for Rails of Sheffield of the CR / LMS / BR 812 class, which looks very good; and I am sure as one can be that the drive will be to Bach's usual standard...
Sadly, modified rapture regarding this model, based on photographs of the production samples which have reached reviewers. The representation of the cab and tender top in particular are clumsy, well below the standard of what Bachmann have previously delivered. I will be holding off for an inspection; and pretty sure that I will wait for a cheap black one, on which to try modifications to improve it.