Bachmann wooden boxed special editions.

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
RAF96

Bachmann wooden boxed special editions.

Postby RAF96 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Do these fancy boxed and certificated models fetch any better prices second hand than a simple cardboard boxed special edition and in fact are any special edition models worth any more than the equivalent normal version.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Bigmet

Re: Bachmann wooden boxed special editions.

Postby Bigmet » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Entirely market dependent at the time of sale. I managed - by chance, just in the right place at the right time - to purchase one of the certificated wooden boxed Tornado fund raisers s/h for £40 in 2006 when I was looking for a cheap 'breaker' for any future spares required for my operating Bach A1s. So very clearly that hadn't appreciated! On the other hand the SECR liveried C class 0-6-0s were selling for silly money some time ago, and the original condition Midland Pullman sets currently attract quite a premium over the original RRP.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:17 pm

The only boxed sets that I have seen that seem sought after was the box with the two N class locomotives. I have purchased several boxed sets but always tell the shipper to keep the box as I am not paying postage on a few bits of relatively useless timber. To me the box has no value, only the contents.

Then again there are those who believe that the limited run certificate that is supplied with Hornby train packs actually adds value to the pack. The certificates are regularly sold on evilbay for ridiculous amounts of money.

Meister

Postby Meister » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:47 pm

I am somewhat skeptical of limited editions as they are essentially a marketing ploy. Remember all the Corgi Classics limited editions in the 1990s/early 2000s (when 'limited edition mania' was at its height) and how the market burnt itself out? As others have said it is entirely dependent upon the market but I doubt there is much difference in value in the longer term unless it is a rare item. Personally, anything in a wooden box with a certificate whether it be a plate, a watch or a model leaves me cold. Been there and done that 20 years ago.

Return to “Bachmann”