London Transport museum and Bachmann announce LT S-Stock

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
mattmay05

London Transport museum and Bachmann announce LT S-Stock

Postby mattmay05 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:48 pm

I was aware of this a year or 2 ago, but was sworn to secrecy, they have been in Development for I would say 2 years.

London Transport Museum announces new London Underground S Stock train models

London Transport Museum has announced a new motorised 1:76 (OO) scale S Stock model London Underground train made exclusively for the Museum by Bachmann Europe plc. The motorised set, comprising four cars, including two driving cars, will be available in September 2015 and can be pre-ordered from Saturday 30 May 2015. The first 250 customers to pre-order will receive a special S Stock certificate.

This is the first time a highly detailed ‘ready to run’ London Underground model train has been produced and additional un-motorised individual cars can be purchased to authentically complete either S7 or S8 train formations.

The models are based on the S Stock serving the Metropolitan line on the Underground network and shows Aldgate as the destination. The livery is based on the London Underground approved livery specification as of September 2014.

Pre-ordering and purchase options

The four car S Stock model train set costs £280.00; up to 4 individual carriages can be purchased for £39.99 per car.

S Stock models can be pre-booked via London Transport Museum’s Collectors Club at www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk. Pre-ordered purchases will be despatched commencing Wednesday 30 September or customers can collect from the Museum’s shop at Acton Depot during the Open Weekend on Sunday 27 September.

The S Stock models can be bought direct from Acton Depot on Sunday 27 September ONLY, and from the Museum’s Covent Garden shop from 11.00am on Friday 2 October. From Saturday 30 May 2015 non-online customers can order by telephone 020 7565 7295 and these orders will be dispatched commencing Monday 5 October.

The S Stock model
• Each driving car is motorised with an advance low-line system to make them invisible internally. The two motorised cars will be sufficient to haul a full S8 train on a model railway layout.
• Proceeds from the sales of the S Stock model go towards supporting London Transport Museum’s work as a charity to help preserve, display and promote heritage vehicles and its world class collection of 20th century graphic art.

You can pre-order on this link: http://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/s-stock.html

End2end

Re: London Transport museum and Bachmann announce LT S-Stock

Postby End2end » Sat May 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Nicely detailed models but there is no interior lighting. Being that it is the underground you would have thought, nay EXPECTED that would have been high on the production list.
Also the ends of the cars look somewhat blank. Although stated "For structural integrity reasons. Without plastic end filling pieces the cars are much more vulnerable to damage." .... well my Airfix auto coach hasn't been crushed yet and that must be at least 20 years old with windows in the end.
I used to travel on the underground everyday so know this line very well and would consider them rather expensive for what is IMO, an under-detailed model.
This model could have been a bit better even just with the addition of internal lighting even without going to the lengths of adding the missed side lighting or even a weathered version (the old underground is mightily dirty), although being it is associated with an excellent museum I wouldnt have expected that a weathered version would be available.
Hopes for a highly detailed rtr underground model raised.... then sadly deflated. :(
One I would like to see is a rtr version of the old Waterloo and City line trains between Waterloo and Bank (like an underground end to end :lol: ). Even upto the 80's they were still running the old wooden panelled coaches and the low lights would go out many times on the short journey. In fact I even think there is one of the coaches in the museum at Covent Garden.
Just my tuppence worth.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Wow - I never saw this coming! I guess we can expect a few new LU layouts from now on, something which I welcome as I think the underground makes a particularly interesting model subject. It's nice to see a release date so soon after the announcement, I reckon 4 months is about the right amount of time.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:02 am

End2end wrote:Nicely detailed models but there is no interior lighting. Being that it is the underground you would have thought, nay EXPECTED that would have been high on the production list.
Also the ends of the cars look somewhat blank. Although stated "For structural integrity reasons. Without plastic end filling pieces the cars are much more vulnerable to damage." .... well my Airfix auto coach hasn't been crushed yet and that must be at least 20 years old with windows in the end.
I used to travel on the underground everyday so know this line very well and would consider them rather expensive for what is IMO, an under-detailed model.
This model could have been a bit better even just with the addition of internal lighting even without going to the lengths of adding the missed side lighting or even a weathered version (the old underground is mightily dirty), although being it is associated with an excellent museum I wouldnt have expected that a weathered version would be available.
Hopes for a highly detailed rtr underground model raised.... then sadly deflated. :(
One I would like to see is a rtr version of the old Waterloo and City line trains between Waterloo and Bank (like an underground end to end :lol: ). Even upto the 80's they were still running the old wooden panelled coaches and the low lights would go out many times on the short journey. In fact I even think there is one of the coaches in the museum at Covent Garden.
Just my tuppence worth.
Thanks
End2end

The stock being modelled is the latest stock used on most if not all of the larger loading gauge " underground" lines and has only been in service about 18 months so what stock you are referring to is anybody`s guess . Also if you want to be picky the modern S stock is completely walk through with no ends to the coaches

The underground nowadays is a much cleaner place and the stock is kept really clean. So it comes down what is the point of this pointless post I know lets have a moan because I don`t want the subject and it makes me look clever not

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:35 am

trainlover23 wrote:The underground nowadays is a much cleaner place and the stock is kept really clean. So it comes down what is the point of this pointless post I know lets have a moan because I don`t want the subject and it makes me look clever not

What, and your post does make you look clever? :roll: End2End made some valid points, interior lighting in particular would go a way to improve this model, and I think some extra detail probably wouldn't go amiss. You may well be right about the tube being much cleaner nowadays, but there's no need to post as you did.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sun May 31, 2015 12:05 pm

End2end wrote:. Although stated "For structural integrity reasons. Without plastic end filling pieces the cars are much more vulnerable to damage." .... well my Airfix auto coach hasn't been crushed yet and that must be at least 20 years old with windows in the end.

Lots of DMU and EMU models also have windows in the end, so I'd suspect there's more to it than that. Could be that the issue is that the windows are particularly large, and extend close to the points where they turn into the sides and roof.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun May 31, 2015 12:11 pm

All I am saying Trainlover is, they could have been better models. The underground without lighting is called a BLACKOUT lol.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Pennine MC wrote:
End2end wrote:. Although stated "For structural integrity reasons. Without plastic end filling pieces the cars are much more vulnerable to damage." .... well my Airfix auto coach hasn't been crushed yet and that must be at least 20 years old with windows in the end.

Lots of DMU and EMU models also have windows in the end, so I'd suspect there's more to it than that. Could be that the issue is that the windows are particularly large, and extend close to the points where they turn into the sides and roof.

There are NO windows on the S stock ends they are walk through hence NO ends so the underlined does not apply

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun May 31, 2015 1:28 pm

trainlover23 wrote:
Pennine MC wrote:

There are NO windows on the S stock ends they are walk through hence NO ends so the underlined does not apply

Windows or not, it still does not detract from the fact that the ends are blank. The doors could have been modelled as per prototype surely?
Even the most inexperienced of us modellers like detail and I wouldn't think many non modeller's would buy it at that price just to have it as a static model.
Unless you have an affinty with LU or the model.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sun May 31, 2015 5:14 pm

trainlover23 wrote:There are NO windows on the S stock ends they are walk through hence NO ends so the underlined does not apply

Ah right, we're talking about the inner ends are we. As you were, then ... :)

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun May 31, 2015 8:20 pm

Two points that I noted. Firstly it would not be too difficult to open out the end walls to allow a 'see through' look assuming the cars were closely coupled. Secondly the coupler used seems to indicate that through power connection was considered and then abandoned to keep costs down. Perhaps the lighting was a consideration but also abandoned due costs.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun May 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Quite. No doubt it was technically possible to model it with open ends too, but not economically. The LT Museum, as commissioners, presumably had a budget to work to and some things inevitably drop off the 'nice to have' end of the equation.

With the coaches (or cars) close coupled, will you even be able to see the blank ends without squinting obliquely through the side windows ? I can't imagine many buyers will be running them in actual tunnels in the dark either, at least not outside the April edition of RM.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:06 am

stuartp wrote: I can't imagine many buyers will be running them in actual tunnels in the dark either, at least not outside the April edition of RM.

I have to say I remember that article, first time round ... :D

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Compared to the 9-car N gauge DCC Sound Fitted Pendolino (with interior lighting on all coaches) I have on order, this LUL model seems quite expensive.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:47 am

I also thought that it appeared to be quite expensive, but that does rather seem to be the way with Museum-commissioned stock these days.

More to the point however - for me, anyway - is how many of these will sell ? They do rather seem to be closer to the novelty end of the market than 'real life'. Very, very few will run them on the correct track formation and probably less than .5% will run them in tunnels. That said, my Brighton Belle has never seen a conductor rail in its life.....

It just seems to me that compared to, say, the LMS suburban coaching stock or Hornby's planned GWR Bow-ended coaches, pretty though they are, these will have more limited appeal ? I guess that all of this was taken into consideration at the point of commission however, and the numbers produced will reflect that.

Not for me. But I'm sure they'll be enjoyed.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Return to “Bachmann”