London Transport museum and Bachmann announce LT S-Stock

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Xerces Fobe

Re: London Transport museum and Bachmann announce LT S-Stock

Postby Xerces Fobe » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:10 am

Great News - I have one on order - A 4 car to start with!

XF

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:08 am

Re the blank ends, The driving ends are no problem, the glazing provides part of the structural rigidity which helps prevent crush damage when packed, an open inner end would be particularly weak. Until the introduction of full body sized bellows connections there has never been a problem with coach ends, either it was solid with or without a corridor connector, or it had some form of glazing. Modelling the full sized connectors gives rise to problems created by tight radii and possible reverse curves, both of which are typical of underground lines.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Tovidious

Postby Tovidious » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:25 pm

I have been saying for years that someone should make some Tube trains and that they will sell. I still stand by that opinion. Most British modelers are not thinking of all the tourists from other countries who model HO and will spend good money for a London Underground model. The Tube is a major tourist attraction in it's own right in London and I think this model will sell well in spite of it's high price.

Now if they can just get their act together and correct some issues like stating it is an actual order one places and not a pre-order since one has to pay the whole amount up front for something that is not yet in stock. They also have to set it up for non EU customers with the VAT removed and when I spoke with them today they said they will addressing those issues.

So, other then the very high price that includes a generous donation to the Museum, and no interior lighting, I look forward to getting one once they come out.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:01 am

If structural rigidity was an overriding concern for packing and shipping then simple plug inserts could have been tooled for packing the models and then removed for running. It seems to me the main concern was keeping costs low to maximise financial return for the museum. They see it as a 'tourist' toy and not as a model.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:01 am

[Lots of DMU and EMU models also have windows in the end, so I'd suspect there's more to it than that. Could be that the issue is that the windows are particularly large, and extend close to the points where they turn into the sides and roof.[/quote]

There are NO windows on the S stock ends they are walk through hence NO ends so the underlined does not apply[/quote]
Windows or not, it still does not detract from the fact that the ends are blank. The doors could have been modelled as per prototype surely?
Even the most inexperienced of us modellers like detail and I wouldn't think many non modeller's would buy it at that price just to have it as a static model.
Unless you have an affinty with LU or the model.
Thanks
End2end[/quote]

What doors are you referring to ? There are no end doors on the inside end of the coaches

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:48 pm

You know we are a cussed lot, we whinge on about models being finished to a degree that leaves them expensive, and nothing for the modeller to do. Here we are, a model that seems to have some pieces of plastic left in place as a cheap way of strengthening the body, that could easily be removed by the modeller and we are going on about it like it was some kind of disaster. It's a sensible decision on the designers part to ensure that the bodies don't get damaged on their way to the modeller or collector. Remember the intermediate coaches have two open ends, something's got to give the body some lateral strength. The collector can leave them in place the modeller can remove them and produce the long tube interior of the prototype.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:26 pm

AHH! now I see what you mean about the ends after finally managing to find a picture of a real one from a view that shows them!. Most are from the front end. :roll:
I stand corrected! :oops: and have to agree with Bufferstop's point "could easily be removed by the modeller", seeing as they seem to be like curtain sided walkthroughs that might possibly be able to be made up of card?.
I still stand by what I said about the interior lighting though :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:27 pm

skyblue wrote:... I guess we can expect a few new LU layouts from now on...
Virtual modelling territory. All my Norf London layouts have the LU present. Just the bar and roundel emblem is all that is required. Cheap too...

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 am

I agree with Bufferstop. There is way too much moaning before the model is even released and reviewed. OK yes it would be nice to have interior lights but this could easily add another £100 to the model. OK yes it would be nice to have open ended coaches like the real ones but the additional cost in finding a way to strengthen the model would again push the price up. Loooking at the display models in the advertising it looks to be a very nice model indeed and I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to add your own interior lighting if you really wanted it. The lines on which the S stock run (Circle, Met, H&C, & District) are predominatly above ground in daylight so I ask is interior lighting that necessary anyway unless you are going to model a station completely underground?

Please let's be sensible folks, wait and see what the model looks like "in the flesh", give it a chance before you rip it to pieces with your barbed comments and criticisms. Bachmann are to be congratulated in once again taking the plunge and producing a model which has a very narrow geographical interest. Even if the Underground is known world wide, as a modelling subject, it is and always has had a reasonable following, but not one that a manufacturer has felt it could make money out of until now, with the help of the LT museum.

Let's all just wait & see eh?
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:56 pm

The model was on show early on in the month it's all be signed off, which it will have to be to be here in September / October.

amsie

Postby amsie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:16 am

The model looks great! Interior lighting would have been desirable. The price is way too much for me though for a 4 car EMU, which is a shame as I would have gone for one if it was below £160.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:03 am

I think there may be one trundling round my garden in due course although I am not prepared to part with the money up front. I will only pre order something if the money is taken on dispatch rater than beforehand. I seem to remember back in the 70s & 80s there was a bit of trouble with some retailers pre orders that were paid for and never dispatched as the companies had gone bust ... I seem to remember RailMail was one of them?
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

Xerces Fobe

Postby Xerces Fobe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:41 pm

I a 4 car S Stock on order for my Croxley Wiggenhall Road Depot and forthcoming Watford High Street layouts. I saw the S stock model in the flesh yesterday and it certainly looks the part and is the worst kept secret ever in model railways! Bachmann distribute EFE tube stock and the bogies for the S Stock and could form a good basis for adapting and motoring the EFE stock and a logical step forward.

XF

Xerces Fobe

Postby Xerces Fobe » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 am

A good review of this model in Rail Expresses modelling section this month.

Xerces Fobe

Postby Xerces Fobe » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Mine arrived to day S/No 14 looks good just got to fit the decoders and run it in on the MM&DMRC Club layout.

XF

Return to “Bachmann”