Ivatt GNR C1 Atlantic

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Ivatt GNR C1 Atlantic

Postby Bigmet » Sat May 16, 2015 11:17 pm

Well, at least a couple of us posting here have indulged in this recent NRM Locomotion release commissioned from Bachmann, and it is a beauty in all respects. Amazingly, there has never previously been an OO Atlantic available RTR (and they are notoriously difficult subjects to build from kit or scratch and to get running well) despite their importance in the line of express steam development. It's the right subject for the first OO model appearance of the type: the precursor of all the wide firebox express locos designed for UK service.

Strictly this class - other than the preserved 251 - were all extinct before the period I model, but my LNER livery example is going to run on Pullman cars as an exhibit of 'the express in time past'. Much as I enjoy the artistry of the Gresley wide firebox machines, this looks very special indeed. Icing on the cake , it pulls much better than I expected, good design from Bachmann, and the all important closely spaced driving wheels have been positioned accurately by representing them in 'maximum permitted wear' condition. On the real loco with new tyres fitted the flanges clear by the thickness of the palm of your hand, inch and a quarter or 30mm, roughly.

Strongly recommended to anyone interested in the history of UK steam development, and also those who want a fine and unusual model for their layout. Looks gorgeous and interesting, smooth running, plenty of traction, well worth the 'not cheap' asking price in my view.

Bigglesof266

Re: Ivatt GNR C1 Atlantic

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:48 am

Good to hear that they've made such a good job of it as a practical model Bigmet.

Looked at the pics in mags and online with desire just in admiration of the beauty of the thing.

But the price! Not being in my preferred area of operations or era remit, other than as a nice model to run freelance, its price precludes it being an opportunity buy for me.

A real win for those desirous of one in the same way I am of an unrebuilt Merchant Navy though.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sun May 17, 2015 9:45 am

While it is of no interest to me and pre-grouping locos (other than GWR locos) are of no real interest to me, I must admit that both the C1 (both the real thing and the model) look absolutely stunning. I really like the sloping sides of the firebox and the proportions look just right too. I am surprised that it wasn't modelled before by one of the big names in the industry.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Atlantics were produced - not very accurately -in O gauge in the twenties and thirties when these were still front rank express machines, but post WWII the pacifics had fully taken over, and they got all the attention as OO became the standard modelling scale. There's also the little matter of the very closely spaced wheelbase on the C1 design, which makes this a challenging model if a good runner that looks right is to result.

I am fully made up now that the NRM have contracted for the GNR Stirling single to be produced by Rapido. That's all the significant points covered in the Doncaster progression from their first successful home grown express loco design of 1870, to the final pacifics of the late 1940s that saw out steam.

I do wonder if we will see any more atlantics, once Bachmann's announced LB&SCR H2 (practically the same locomotive) has been produced. The GCR, L&YR, NBR and NER all had classes of very attractive atlantics as their premium express power in the last decade of the pre-group period, any of which would make a stunning looking model. The NBR's had stirring names from Scottish history - Hornby are you listening? - and a livery unlike any other in the UK.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun May 31, 2015 8:30 pm

I too have received an LNER-liveried version and - with one or two minor caveats - it is excellent stuff. (The flies-in-the-ointment, for those of you wondering, are that it initially came without its bag of detailing parts though this has subsequently been supplied; and it's a bit growly for reasons that I don't yet know because I haven't dared dismantle it to get in amongst the gubbins. It is noticeably noisier going forwards than in reverse, though, which suggests a gear train issue, I think...)

All that aside, it looks gorgeous. Really, properly stunning. It will look just the part with a train of teaks or white-roofed Pullmans, and even the gimmicky opening smoke-box door presents some good photo opportunities for those of us who have carefully modelled piles of ash alongside our engine sheds...!

It is, I suspect, likely to be my last loco purchase of 2015 (although technically I paid the deposit on it in September last year) but what a stunner it is. On the subject of the deposit, it does help to sweeten the price pill: I paid the £50 in September, and the remainder - £129 - in March, by which stage the £50 was well in the past so it felt like all I was paying was what you would expect to pay for a loco of similar size and quality... In other words, I choose to think of it as paying £129 for the loco and then giving a £50 donation to a very deserving cause!

If you are at all tempted, get one. Otherwise... well, how many people, myself included, regularly kick themselves for not having got the prototype Deltic when it came out?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:39 am

Took the Atlantic out for a run on a friend's layout yesterday. It was much admired. Looks gorgeous, runs and pulls well, what's not to like?

The price. Price resistance is high, even though it is appreciated that the purchase effectively makes a donation to the NRM/Locomotion. Suggests to me that Bachmann can clean up if they can get the LBSCR H2 out around the £125 mark, which I take to be about the current norm for a larger tender loco. For all this, having built a couple of whitemetal kit C1s in the long ago - sold on decades ago - I feel the C1 isn't too expensive. The only way to do it for the same (or less) money would be scratchbuilding, a kit would cost more; and to get to such a good running result is something to aspire to for most of us...

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 am

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:51 am

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:33 am

Mr Ivatt's masterwork looks even better with the new QoS type Pullmans from Hornby behind it: these are the right ones, exclusive to the LNER. Bachmann didn't need to work so hard on the C1's traction, these latest Pullman cars are very free running out of the box. Hopefully they will stay that way, as some previous wiper materials have gone very draggy after a year or so of running...

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Bigmet wrote:Mr Ivatt's masterwork looks even better with the new QoS type Pullmans from Hornby behind it...

At long last, I have almost completed the QoS train I've been assembling for the last year; the most recent steps were detailing the engine. So, here we have eight Hornby QoS Pullmans with the duplicate brake 3rd, parlour 3rd and kitchen 3rd renumbered with Fox transfers; all coaches have the appropriate roofboards, again from Fox; and the locomotive has Springside lamps, a Fox headboard, real coal in the tender and a crew from Pete Goss. And doesn't the whole assembly look lovely? The last thing to do will be to add the corridor connectors between the coaches, which I shall do in the next week sometime.

Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Bachmann”